[comp.mail.uucp] HDB call time restrictions.

michael@fts1.UUCP (Michael Richardson) (02/19/90)

	fts1 has an interesting situation:

	 We have a telebit 2500, and a connection to nrcaer who also have a Telebit.
	 This works great when they call us with the Telebit. However, their Telebit is
an outgoing call _ONLY_ modem, and their inbound line is only 2400 baud. In the past
all that happened was that they called us, and if we had any mail, that would be picked
up (at Telebit speeds.)
	 Now, when we have mail we'd like to dial out and get it on way. The 2400 baud connection
is fine for outgoing mail, but we don't want to pick up news this way. If nrcaer ran HDB,
they could put `SENDFILES=call' in their Permissions file and we would get nothing when we
call. nrcaer runs something else though. (I've never been entirely sure what though.)

	 Since nrcaer polls us several times during the night, and calls whenever it has
something to send I thought to myself: if _they_ have news for us then they will call.
Otherwise, when we call there will not be any mail for us. If I'm online, then nrcaer
can't call, and fts1 can't call out. Since most of the new mail appears after I've been
online (in human or uucp form), and that is usually at night when nrcaer will call us anyway
(and receives news) I don't want fts1 to dial out between 10pm and 7am.  (I know there are
big flaws in my reasoning, but it doesn't change the question.)

  I tried putting this in my Systems file. It seems to fail all the time `Wrong time to call'
even when it is fine.

nrcaer 0700-2200;15 LineOne 19200 phone-num "" \d\d\r\r\d blah--blah blah

  I thought maybe that the `Any' designated any DAY, so I put in:

nrcaer Any,0700-2200;15 LineOne 19200 phone-num "" \d\d\r\r\d blah--blah blah

	and it seems to dial at any time.

	Can anyone suggest any other things? Perhaps a trivial syntax thing with the time field?

--
  :!mcr!:
  Michael C. Richardson

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (02/21/90)

In article <138@fts1.UUCP> michael@fts1.UUCP (Michael Richardson) writes:

>	fts1 has an interesting situation:
>nrcaer Any,0700-2200;15 LineOne 19200 phone-num "" \d\d\r\r\d blah--blah blah
>	and it seems to dial at any time.

Should be:

nrcaer Any0700-2200;15 LineOne 19200 phone-num "" \d\d\r\r\d blah--blah blah

(remove that pesky comma)

	../Dave