[comp.mail.uucp] More on Polling and uusched

(Not really NCR-specific, so I'm forwarding this to "comp.mail.uucp".)

 >> > You don't really want it to fail silently, regardless of the reason.
 >
 >> Uh, yes, I do; that's why, at one place, I modified "uucico" to
 >> specifically know about "Never" (or maybe I called it "Slave" or
 >> something) and not bother to let me know something I already *did* know,
 >
 >I'd argue that it's the cases where you don't know and are trying to
 >debug that you want definite reasons for failure to call.

If you don't know, the first step in debugging would seem to *me* to be
to, well, read "L.sys" or "Systems", after which you *would* know.
What's more, I'd expect that most of the time you *wouldn't* be
debugging things, so...

 >One could disble "Wrong time to call" logging if "Never" is found and
 >if debug == 0.

...is a reasonable idea - in fact, I might suggest disabling "Wrong time
to call" messages if debug == 0, period (what about a machine to which
people send mail and/or news at all times of the day, but which is only
called after 11PM?).

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) (03/15/90)

guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> in fact, I might suggest disabling "Wrong time
> to call" messages if debug == 0, period (what about a machine to which
> people send mail and/or news at all times of the day, but which is only
> called after 11PM?).

That's what we do here, without even the test for debug.  This UUCP
_never_ generates wrong-time-to-call errors, and doesn't touch the
.Status file either.  If you've got debugging on, it's obvious from
the transcript why the call failed, and the log entry is useless.

We've got a lot of call-never sites, archive sites that are only called
at night, sites that aren't called while filesystem cleanup is going
on (because it makes the uucico run too slow), and a few people who we
don't call at night because they're supposed to call us to pick up news.

Our logs must have shrunk 25% when the wrong-time-to-call message was
killed; also, it makes the uustat -m output much more useful because it
reflects the status of the last real attempt.

---
Tom Fitzgerald      Wang Labs           fitz@wang.com
1-508-967-5278      Lowell MA, USA      ...!uunet!wang!fitz