[comp.mail.uucp] why do sites timeout always

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (04/05/90)

I've watched some connections with -x9 and find that after the R
command is sent the remote site fails for some reason and the
local machine times out.  This happens so many times I would like to
get some opinions as to why this is happening.  The two sites I have
seen this occur repeatedly is avatar and osu-cis.  Any insight would
be helpful.

Thanks.

Art D.
(714)966-3618
{oliveb,ccicpg,hplabs,zardoz,dhw68k}!felix!art

ostroff@cboard.UUCP (Boyd Ostroff) (04/08/90)

In article <142744@felix.UUCP> art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) writes:
>I've watched some connections with -x9 and find that after the R
>command is sent the remote site fails for some reason and the
>local machine times out.

Of course it's hard to say without more details, but I've had a
similar frustration here.  SUNY Oswego installed a new, state-of-the-art
digital (Intecom IBX) phone system.  The ports on the computer center's
vaxen are connected at 9600 baud over digital (ITE) lines, and calls
to/from the outside world are routed through a pool of 2400 baud modems.

Evidently buffering in this system "gobbles up" uucico's ACK's and
leads to similar symptoms.  The small number of characters sent by the
remote site's uucico is not enough to flush this buffer, and the two
systems get "out of sync" with each other, leading to a series of
"alarms" and eventual failure.

We tried lots of things to get UUCP working between cboard and oswego
through this modem pool, but finally gave up.  They now have reverted
to a modem in the machine room on an analog (STE) phone for UUCP use.
Now UUCP works reliably....

gary@dgcad.SV.DG.COM (Gary Bridgewater) (04/08/90)

 In article <142744@felix.UUCP> art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) writes:
 >I've watched some connections with -x9 and find that after the R
 >command is sent the remote site fails for some reason and the
 >local machine times out.  This happens so many times I would like to
 >get some opinions as to why this is happening.  The two sites I have
 >seen this occur repeatedly is avatar and osu-cis.  Any insight would
 >be helpful.
>(714)966-3618

This must be a feature of the 714 area code (??).  dgcad can call all around
408 but whenever it tries to connect to spsd (our sister site down south - in
714) we get this R timeout business (running Telebits or vanilla 1200 bpi).
spsd can call dgcad, seemingly, without problem.
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary