[comp.mail.uucp] smail configuration question

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) (04/08/90)

I have some leaf sites that would like to run smail just to get domain
addressing capability but don't want to maintain the paths file.  Is there
anyway to fix things so that they could still use an address like
soandso@foobar
and just have it forwarded to my system so that my system could determine
the correct address (as I maintain the paths file)?  What I'm trying to
do is let them use regular domain addressing without the paths file by
using my paths file.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanx in advance.

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705     Evening: (901)382-1609
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134

pda@rsiatl.UUCP (Paul D. Anderson) (04/10/90)

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:

>I have some leaf sites that would like to run smail just to get domain
>addressing capability but don't want to maintain the paths file.  Is there
>anyway to fix things so that they could still use an address like
>soandso@foobar
>and just have it forwarded to my system so that my system could determine
>the correct address (as I maintain the paths file)?  What I'm trying to
>do is let them use regular domain addressing without the paths file by
>using my paths file.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanx in advance.

Sure!
Just point the 'smart-host' entry in the paths file to your host with the
full table.  Then, whenever a site is unrecognized at the local host, smail
will look for the entry 'smart-host' in the paths file.  It will then route
the mail to the named host...

An example follows.. This is an actual extract from my paths file:

	gatech.edu	gatech		115
	smart-host	emory!%s	115

In this example, if anyhost is unrecognized, the mail is routed to
emory for processing (I threw in the gatech line just for grins  :-).

To get this info into your paths file if you build them automagically,
add the following line to your input files for pathalias:

	smart-host	=	emory

Otherwise just key the smart-host line in by hand.  Don't forget that the
paths file must be sorted!

Good luck.
-paul
--
* Paul Anderson * Crossroads Computing * (404) 565-0761 * emory!rsiatl!pda *