[comp.mail.uucp] "tip" with [xyz]modem wanted

mccaslan@cs.utk.edu (Donald McCasland) (04/13/90)

In article <637@logicon.com> Makey@Logicon.COM (Jeff Makey) writes:
>I would appreciate any pointers to an implementation of the UNIX "tip"
>(a.k.a. "cu") command that allows file transfers using any or all of
>XMODEM, YMODEM, or ZMODEM protocols.
>
>                           :: Jeff Makey

If anyone has any information on the above, I would also like to know.
Thanks,
Don McCasland mccaslan@utk.cs.edu

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (04/13/90)

>In article <637@logicon.com> Makey@Logicon.COM (Jeff Makey) writes:
>>I would appreciate any pointers to an implementation of the UNIX "tip"
>>(a.k.a. "cu") command that allows file transfers using any or all of
>>XMODEM, YMODEM, or ZMODEM protocols.

The SunOS tip can be used to do this.  Basically, there is a ~C
command that executes a process with its stdin and stdout attached
to the tip line.

I used this with the widely-available Unix xmodem command, though
I had to make a slight modification to the command (it died if it
couldn't change the mode of the tty line, and that happens when you
use ~C).

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

>The SunOS tip can be used to do this.  Basically, there is a ~C
>command that executes a process with its stdin and stdout attached
>to the tip line.

A quick check indicates that feature may be in the vanilla 4.3BSD "tip";
I don't know whether it first appeared in some SunOS release or whether
Sun just picked it up from Berkeley.

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (04/14/90)

In article <3167@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>The SunOS tip can be used to do this.  Basically, there is a ~C
>>command that executes a process with its stdin and stdout attached
>>to the tip line.
>
>A quick check indicates that feature may be in the vanilla 4.3BSD "tip";
>I don't know whether it first appeared in some SunOS release or whether
>Sun just picked it up from Berkeley.

Looks like you're right.  I used the man page and the binary in our
system (which is a 4.3BSD-based) as my basis for the statement, along
with the knowledge that SunOS 4.0 supports this feature.

The Makefile I have for tip has a list of optional defines, and
describes this one as:

#       CONNECT                 worthless command

Could someone check and see if this is in the standard 4.3BSD makefile
for tip (I'd like to find out who thinks it's "worthless")?  I couldn't
find a version of tip source in the bsd-sources archive on gatekeeper,
so I suspect it's still AT&T-derived.