[comp.mail.uucp] uucp problem in 1 direction!

rsutc@fornax.UUCP (Rick Sutcliffe) (05/30/90)

In article <1113@kcdev.UUCP>, gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) writes:
> In article <1990May20.231750.17510@cbnewsd.att.com> buche@cbnewsd.att.com (charles.m.buche) writes:
> =
> =A challenge for the uucp gurus:
> =
> =I am having a curious problem with my 3b2-300 w/2.0 Meg ram, 72 M Drive,
> =running Unix System 5, version 3.2, release 2.  This system hangs on
> =a 1200 baud modem and is polled regularly.  During sending a file,
> =the 3b2 attains an average of 110 cps, but the problem is that
>
> Everytime I've run into this, it has been options in the modem itself.
> Many modems (and ours are set this way by default) suckup the dc1/dc3
> protocol internaly.  The modem needs to be set to transparent mode, so
> that the handshake will flow through to the 3b.  uucico uses the dc1/dc3
> as part of its' own internal handshaking.

My problem is similar, but worse.  I am trying to establish a UUCP drop with
a remote site via modem.  I can log on and the remote site can send me
messages without any problem at all.  However, when I try to send to them,
I get numerous data packet errors and timeouts, and usually the software
on my end gives up after a while. (Sometimes it does eventually punch a
message through.)  Now, I had thought that my problem might be the fact that
I must go through a communications server at the other end and it was
munging things for me somehow.  The answer in the above message suggests
that it might be my own modem that is the sucker.  But, why does transmission
(and the associated acknowledgements) work one way and not the other?
What is the usual (Hayes) command for modem transparency for my modem.
(Avatex 1200e)

Over to the gurus

Rick Sutcliffe
Associate Professor