[comp.mail.uucp] Question about From: lines

sdroppers@pbs.uucp (Seton Droppers) (06/09/90)

I am wondering what should "really" be put in the "From" line of our mail.  We
have just recently registered as the domain pbs.org (We used to be simply a UUCP
site) and exchange news and mail via the DECUS UUCP software on a VMS 5.2
system.

When I send mail through our local mailer such that it stays "within" my site I
get a from line for my message (se example 1) with my local mailbox and the
domain (sdropers@pbs.org).  When I send mail to either of to neighbors and back
the from line gets changed to  the form "othersite!pbs.org!sdroppers" (see
examples 2 and 3).  Is this really correct?  I have had one remote site request
that my neighbors not "mung" the from line, and this makes lots of sense.  Also,
reading paragraph 4.4.1 (page 21) of RFC #822 I wonder what an "authenticated"
machine address refers to?

Thanks ever so much.

Seton
--
Seton Droppers  -- "Anything that I say is my opinion and not my employer's."
Public Broadcasting Service, 1320 Braddock Pl. Alexandria, VA 22314

---Example 1---
From:	UUCP%"sdroppers@pbs.org"  8-JUN-1990 08:06:01.86
To:	sdroppers@pbs.org
CC:
Subj:	Testing uucp%"sdroppers@pbs.org"

Date: Fri,  8 Jun 90 08:03:33 EDT
From: Seton R. Droppers <sdroppers@pbs.org>
To: sdroppers@pbs.org
Subject: Testing uucp%"sdroppers@pbs.org"

This is a test message.   8-JUN-1990 08:03:30.11.

---Example 2---
From:	UUCP%"uupsi!pbs.org!sdroppers"  8-JUN-1990 10:30:51.15
To:	pbs!sdroppers
CC:
Subj:	Bounce Test uucp%"uupsi!pbs!sdroppers"

Date: Fri,  8 Jun 90 08:47:28 EDT
From: Seton R. Droppers <uupsi!pbs.org!sdroppers>
To: pbs!sdroppers
Subject: Bounce Test uucp%"uupsi!pbs!sdroppers"

This is a test message.  It should go out to uupsi and back.   8-JUN-1990
08:47:24.44.

---Example 3---
From:	UUCP%"vrdxhq!pbs.org!sdroppers"  8-JUN-1990 10:53:47.64
To:	vrdxhq!pbs!sdroppers
CC:
Subj:	Bounce test uucp%"vrdxhq!pbs!sdroppers"

Date: Fri,  8 Jun 90 08:48:21 EDT
From: Seton R. Droppers <vrdxhq!pbs.org!sdroppers>
To: vrdxhq!pbs!sdroppers
Subject: Bounce test uucp%"vrdxhq!pbs!sdroppers"

This is a bounce ttest.  It should to to vrdxhq and back.   8-JUN-1990
08:48:16.71.

tp@mccall.com (06/27/90)

In article <1990Jun15.162029.27337@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> Yes, I understand that RFC976 is intended only to specify uucp mapping
> of RFC822 addresses.  However the syntax is so much neater than %
> or @routes, not to mention being straightforward to parse, that it
> seems to me that it should be accepted everywhere.

But it is non-standard. If it isn't in RFC822, it isn't going to be
understood by EVERYBODY. There are already too many things that are only
understood by some sites, not others. Just because it looks nice doesn't
mean people will rush to change their software to handle it.

Rather than invent another standard, we should try to make the current one
(RFC822) work. That means getting sites not to mung compliant addresses,
and getting everyone to get a compliant address (i.e. registered domain
name).

> In article <2844.2676131a@mccall.com> tp@mccall.com writes:
>>The domain-bang-path notation was never intended to appear in RFC822
>>compliant headers (like From:), as this notation violates RFC822.
>
> But this wouldn't matter if (a) mailers understood do.main!user to
> be equivalent to user@do.main and (b) didn't rewrite compliant
> headers.

But (a) they don't (not all of them), and (b) some of them do. How are you
going to get them all to change? This will never happen unless RFC822 is
updated and adopted by the group that controls internet standards (I know
there is one, but I don't know who they are). The internet is too pervasive
to buck. Most mail and news crosses it eventually. If your message doesn't
follow internet standards, you are at the mercy of the postmaster of each
machine, and how much he was inclined/able to deal with non-standard
formats.

>>Thus, no internet host SHOULD ever see a domain-bang-path address unless it
>>put it there, with its domain name attached.
>
> Are you saying that internet hosts don't want to believe that there are
> machines that they cannot access directly or that you prefer ambiguous
> or arcane local-parts of addresses?  Allowing an abitrary mix of
> host and domain names parsed strictly left-to-right would make things
> incredibly easy by comparison. The header lines should still not
> be re-written unless done by a gateway that knows a different syntax
> is needed to be understood by the destination, though.

What I'm saying is that on the internet, the From: line MUST be RFC822
compliant. Internet hosts have a set of standards that they must follow to
be compliant. The one that deals with mail is RFC822. They are under no
obligation to support any extentions to this, and thus there will always be
hosts that don't.

In effect, the uucp world (specifically the UUCP Project, since nobody else
stepped forward), decided to integrate into the internet as far as mail
goes. This implies that uucp sites will get registered domain names and
will follow the RFC822 standard for mail. As far as mail goes, the term
`internet' really includes all uucp hosts that have registered domain names
(which implies MX forwarders). An internet host can't tell the difference
when sending the mail. Many actual internet hosts are only reachable via
MX.

The `uucp mail network' has no identity as a network in and of itself. It
never has. As a result of the direction the UUCP Project has gone, it never
will. As far as mail goes, you can either just be a uucp site, in which
case things will never work well, or you can adopt RFC822 and get a
registered domain name, in which case things will work fairly well. If we
can get sites to stop rewriting valid RFC822 From: addresses, having a
registered domain will work as well as being on the internet itself.

If you want to use a different standard, it looks like you have 3 options:

    1) Do what you want and hope it works, with no guarantees. That's what
    most unregistered uucp sites do now, by putting user@site.uucp or
    site!user or something else in the From: line, or not having a From:
    line and relying on the From_ line.

    2) Get RFC822 modified and accepted as an internet standard. At some
    point, most all internet software would become compliant to the new
    standard. I bid you good luck.

    3) Reject the concept of integrating into the internet address scheme.
    Form an alternate network of uucp sites, with gateways into whatever
    networks you want to talk with (e.g. the internet) that perform the
    gatewaying function the way you want. Then all legitimate gateways
    would have predicatable behavior, and you could develop a set of rules
    that would always work. Call your network something other than the
    `uucp mail network', though, and realize you would need gateways for it
    also, if you had any uucp links from your network to uucp sites that
    weren't in your network. Good luck getting this to work. On the other
    hand, you could consider Bitnet to be an example of this, and it seems
    to have worked at least as well as uucp (non-domain).

My machine has a registered domain name, and as long as it is not munged,
it doesn't matter that an internet site can't access me directly. I've been
getting mail via this address since the day it was registered, 30 days
before the maps were updated.

If you have a non-RFC822 address, then you are stuck encoding it into the
local-part, because you have NO OTHER OPTION. Once the mail crosses the
internet it WILL be made RFC822 compliant. period. How the host that does
this chooses to do it is up to the guy who wrote or configured the
software. There isn't a standard to cover this. I think this is because no
standard can fully handle it. You can make the choice rather than leaving
it up to the gateway, by sending out something RFC822 compliant that you
think will work, but because of munging, there is no guarantee that your
From: line will survive.

Domain-bang-path wouldn't solve the problem, even if it were allowed. If a
bang path starts with an unqualified uucp host name, what does an internet
site do with it? Remember that many sites won't update a bang-path on the
From: line, so its contents are unreliable. Getting it into RFC822 would
help, but non-internet sites would probably still mess it up. I really
couldn't predict how big a problem that would be, or for how long.
--
Terry Poot <tp@mccall.com>                The McCall Pattern Company
(uucp: ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!mccall!tp)     615 McCall Road

tp@mccall.com (06/27/90)

In article <00001FL@cdis-1.compu.com>, tanner@cdis-1.compu.com (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
> In article <14423@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
> ) Right.  If the From: line has what looks like a valid RFC822
> ) address in it, you leave it alone.  Otherwise, replace it with
> ) the bang path ...  Note that user@host.UUCP is explicitly NOT a
> ) valid RFC822 address in this context.
> True, there is no true ".UUCP" domain.  However, if you replace the
> "From: name@site.UUCP" with a bang path, you have surely made the
> mail unreplyable to people who use the "From:" line.

Actually, most uucp sites will understand a bang-path on the From: line. If
you don't have a valid RFC822 path to put there, a bang path is probably
better than nothing. The problem, however, is that if the message goes out
over the internet, it will be made RFC822 compliant, usually by making it a
mixed mode address (i.e. bang-path@host.domain). If this goes from the
internet back to uucp, it will probably be totally useless. On the other
hand, what is a better alternative? user@site.uucp has equally severe
problems.

>                                                       If you leave
> the "From:" line untouched, it is replyable.

While this is often true, it often isn't. It MAY be replyable. If the site
is not in the uucp maps, it is NOT replyable. Such a site should send out
site!user rather than user@site.uucp, but I think many such sites are
precisely the ones that don't know all the issues involved. site@host.uucp
is also not replyable if the host trying to use it doesn't have access to
uucp maps, such as an internet site with no uucp links. Such a site could
reply to bang-path@host.domain, however. Thus in some contexts, preserving
host.uucp is specifically a bad thing.

> Sites with "smart" mailers are often able to understand "From:" lines
> with ".UUCP" addresses, because they look at the (possibly compiled)
> maps.

This applies almost exclusively to uucp sites with smart mailers. How many
internet sites with no uucp links bother to handle the uucp maps?

> Since you cause harm by re-writing the "From:" line, and cause no
> harm by leaving it untouched, I advocate leaving it untouched.

You cause harm either way. Converting to a bang path is bad, because some
sites will update it, and some won't. Thus after a few hops the bang path
is probably useless (depending on how smart the hosts actually on the path
are, often they can route over the hops that didn't update the path). On
the other hand, leaving host.uucp in is bad, because internet sites can't
reply to it, and it is useless in the first place if the site isn't in the
maps.

This is one of those cases where you have to make a judgement call as to
what is most likely to work. There is no "good" solution, because there is
no "good" way to address a host without a domain name in a way that will
work from anywhere.

UUCP bang-paths always required the user to know a great deal about the
layout of the network to make them work. They still do. Domain name solve
this problem to the extent that they are used. Trying to squeeze bang-paths
into domain names will never work well, because you get the worst of both
worlds. The address gets mangled over time, and often still requires a
knowlegeable user to be useful. Unfortunately, you MUST do something of
this sort, because it is the only way to reach an unregistered host.

BTW, before anyone suggests that when a mixed-mode address goes from the
internet to uucp, it should be rewritten RFC976-style, this causes problems
too. While it solves this particular case, it then means that you are
rewriting valid RFC822 addresses, which is the current problem. It screws
up registered sites badly. It also violates both RFC822 and RFC976. This is
because RFC976 was written to handle registered uucp sites, while providing
as much back-compatibility as possible. It simply can't handle this case.

The only PRACTICAL solution (i.e. one that works and doesn't require action
from lots of people who don't care enough about the problem to do something
about it) is for unregistered hosts to get registered. An unregistered host
will always have trouble getting mail. To the extent that this is a problem
for internet people (for having to answer questions, or figure out how to
address mail), they can best help by helping uucp sites get registered. The
process is currently cumbersome and problematical enough to discourage many
people from doing it. Improvements would be welcome.
--

In article <14495@ucsd.Edu>, brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
> I said
>>>the From: line has what looks like a valid RFC822 address in
>>>it, you leave it alone.  Otherwise, replace it with the bang path you
>>>got from the From_ line.  Note that user@host.UUCP is explicitly NOT a
>>>valid RFC822 address in this context.
>
> In article <267E85F1.33B4@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>Last I checked, this behavior (transforming "user@host.uucp" into
>>"foo!bar!host!user") is *not* sanctioned by RFC976.  It *is* rude to
>>those sites who want to provide return addresses in the UUCP zone.

RFC976 says only this about host.uucp:

    Names such as "ucbvax.UUCP", consisting of a 6 letter name followed by
    ".UUCP", previously were domain style references to a host with a given
    6 letter name.  Such names are being phased out in favor of
    organizational domain names such as "ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU"

It also says this:

    (The UUCP zone is that subset of the community connected by UUCP which
    chooses to register with the UUCP project.  It represents an
    administrative entity.)

Thus host.uucp, being unregistered is not in the uucp zone, nor is it
sanctioned by RFC976. RFC976

    is intended to define the standard format for the transmission of mail
    messages between machines in the UUCP Project.

Being "in the UUCP Project", can be infered to mean (if you actually read
the RFC), having your site registered, and thus having a domain name
(because it requires sites "in the UUCP Project" to conform to RFC822). It
explicitly requires From: lines to be RFC822 compliant, and Brian is
correct that host.uucp is not an RFC822-compliant domain name. RFC822
requires domain names to be not only syntactically correct, but to actually
exist as well, and this would mean MX records, etc...

RFC976 doesn't cover unregistered sites, and was not meant to. There is no
RFC that does, to my knowlege. You aren't in the UUCP zone, because you
aren't registered (according to the definition of the zone given in RFC976,
anyway).

host.uucp is not sanctioned or protected by any standard, so Brian can
legitimately do whatever he wants with it. That's why there are standards,
to prescribe what should be done in different cases. In the abscence of a
standard, one can do just about anything, and there WILL be problems. Each
postmaster will either accept whatever the default is, or will make his own
best guess about the correct thing to do. Since they all make different
guesses, the result is chaos.

I see 2 solutions. You could invent a new standard that would apply to
unregistered sites, and get it approved and adopted. I don't know what you
could do that would work though. Or you could register a domain. Granted
this can be a pain if there is no friendly internet site handy. This part
of the process could be made much better/simpler/easier. Unfortunately, the
NIC controls the process and requirements for registration, and uucp sites
are definitely not their priority concern. I don't know what you could do
to improve things.

> Yes, that's one of the places where RFC976 is wrong.  Someday I'll get
> around to updating it in a newer RFC.

In what way is it wrong? It doesn't even cover this case.

> The UUCP zone is dying.  It was only a stopgap until a way to register
> non-internet sites in the worldwide domain name system existed, and now
> that we have that, it can quietly go away.  It was a wonderful thing but
> it is clearly time to retire it.

Umm... I'm registered in the UUCP zone, n'est-ce pas? I registered through
uunet, and I'm a uucp site, or did the zone get defined as something else
when I wasn't looking? Are you suggesting that each site deal directly with
the NIC? While it saves the $35, most people, including myself, wouldn't
even know where to start. You'd also have to dig up some friendly
name-servers (if you aren't using those provided by the UUCP Project),
which would be MUCH more difficult than finding an MX forwarder.
--

In article <1990Jun25.153424.27594@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> Can someone explain how having a registered domain name helps anyone who
> doesn't hide multiple machines behind it (other than the obvious reason
> of the requirements of certain mailers)?  For the case of 1 uucp machine
> equals one second-level domain name, won't this just double the size
> of the pathalias lookup files if you put the names in the maps, or force
> everything to go through the internet (or at least uunet) if you don't?

It gives you a valid RFC822 address. Even if some mailer munges the From:
line to oblivion, someone can get your email address out of your signature.
(Aside: ALWAYS use a signature, because From: lines DO get munged. That's
directed at everyone, not anyone in particular.) This address is useable
from anywhere on the internet, or any uucp site with a smart mailer, and
even most Bitnet sites, I believe. People at uucp sites with dumb mailers
have to know how to route mail by hand anyway, and most of the know how to
route a message to the internet. If you aren't registered, but are in the
maps, your From: lines will usually be useless. People that are not at uucp
sites with smart mailers must specifically know how to mail to an
unregistered site, which generally involves setting up weird addresses to
get things to go to the right gateways (you also have to know which
gateways to use). If you aren't even in the maps, hang it up.

> Could machines that forward to uucp sites hide the path information in
> their subdomain name space instead of the local-part of the address
> where it is often misinterpreted?

Sure, if they choose. It works reasonably well, except that you have to
keep explaining that you don't really work for xyz... Seriously, this works
well (I used to be tp@mccall.claremont.edu). I expect the reason it isn't
done more is that registering a domain makes you responsible for your
subdomains, and thus answerable for the activities of machines within your
domain, if not in any legal sense, at least as to the reputation of the
company/organization owning the domain. The admin would have to trust you,
basically, not to embarrass him. Also, some object to it on esthetic
grounds ("But your machine ISN'T part of the university..."). It'd be funny
if we started seeing host names like:

    pcbbs.NotPartOf.Berkeley.edu

--

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (06/29/90)

In article <3001.2688df6b@mccall.com>, tp@mccall.com writes:
> (Aside: ALWAYS use a signature, because From: lines DO get munged.

This will work until some well-meaning fool (there are always a few around)
decides to write a new RFC, and corresponding AI-like software, to recognize
signatures and change addresses in them.  "If you are sending the message
via a uucp link, you must change any RFC822 address that appears in the
signature into bang form."

Don't laugh.  Someone already tried to write the software.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair and uucp protocol guru, VMSnet Working Group, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (06/29/90)

chip@tct.uucp writes:
   If we're not going to use RFC976, then why bother publishing it?

(*chuckle*)

Sometime, strictly for the humor value, write to
hostmaster@nic.ddn.mil, or perhaps postmaster@ddn1.dca.mil, or
something of that ilk, and ask why RFC1031 ("MILNET Name Domain
Transition") hasn't been adhered to[*].  1031 specifies the conversion
schedule of the MILNET from HOSTS.TXT usage to nameserver usage.

The MILNET purportedly completed this conversion at the end of Oct
1989 (see 1031 p.3, Table 1, "Migration Timetable").  It's just a
fantasy RFC, though; strictly vaporware.

Not all RFCs are either useful or correct.

--karl

[*] Don't actually bother asking.  I did so last December for personal
reasons having to do with excessive interaction with MILNET people
over nameserver issues.  The answer I got back from the NIC was, shall
we say, unsatisfying.
--
Depression \di-'presh-un\  n.  A condition observed on return from
3 weeks' vacation to find ~2000 mail messages waiting for oneself.

tp@mccall.com (06/29/90)

In article <1412.2689d9b8@dcs.simpact.com>, jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
> In article <3001.2688df6b@mccall.com>, tp@mccall.com writes:
>> (Aside: ALWAYS use a signature, because From: lines DO get munged.
>
> This will work until some well-meaning fool (there are always a few around)
> decides to write a new RFC, and corresponding AI-like software, to recognize
> signatures and change addresses in them.  "If you are sending the message
> via a uucp link, you must change any RFC822 address that appears in the
> signature into bang form."
>
> Don't laugh.  Someone already tried to write the software.

OK, I know about smilies :-) and frownies :-(, but how do you do a weepie
(lots and lots of them). If I didn't know Jamie, I'd think he was pulling
my leg. On the other hand, I've met people as dumb as whoever he's talking
about, and some of them were even able to write software...
--
Terry Poot <tp@mccall.com>                The McCall Pattern Company
(uucp: ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!mccall!tp)     615 McCall Road
(800)255-2762, in KS (913)776-4041        Manhattan, KS 66502, USA

In article <3001.2688df6b@mccall.com> tp@mccall.com writes:

>It'd be funny
>if we started seeing host names like:

>    pcbbs.NotPartOf.Berkeley.edu

I had in mind something like:
  site2.site1.bang.Berkeley.edu
meaning:  consult the rules for delivering to subdomains under the
          subdomain "bang" to obtain the routing for the message.
This notation would make it clear that no one except a gateway for
Berkely.edu has any business interpreting it as well as being a
legal address everywhere that domain addresses are wanted.
If the path contains characters that would be illegal as subdomain
names something like this might work:
  6973657421316973657432.hex.Berkeley.edu

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) (07/03/90)

In article <2998.2688cec8@mccall.com>, tp@mccall.com writes:
> If you want to use a different standard, it looks like you have 3 options:
>
>     3) Reject the concept of integrating into the internet address scheme.
>     Form an alternate network of uucp sites, with gateways into whatever
>     networks you want to talk with (e.g. the internet) that perform the
>     gatewaying function the way you want. Then all legitimate gateways
>     would have predicatable behavior, and you could develop a set of rules
>     that would always work. Call your network something other than the
>     `uucp mail network', though, and realize you would need gateways for it
>     also, if you had any uucp links from your network to uucp sites that
>     weren't in your network. Good luck getting this to work. On the other
>     hand, you could consider Bitnet to be an example of this, and it seems
>     to have worked at least as well as uucp (non-domain).

Or just designate certain machines to be "UUCP-Domain Gateway"
machines.  Then everyone in the UUCP Domain could have an address
such as "joe%bob.uucp@uunet.uu.net".

Then just make sure that uunet (or whatever registered gateway)
would take the Internet addresses and turn them into valid addresses
for whatever neighbor it was passing them to.  And receive addresses
in any format and turn them into valid Internet addresses.  All it
would take is informing the gateway what kind of mail software and
what kind of addressing you are using.

It seems to me that this is the de facto situation and that the
problems are occurring at the exceptions rather than the rule (i.e.
sites that don't talk to their neighbors about the format of the
stuff they intend to pass through them).

--
Orlan Cannon                            oc@vmp.com
Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    (800) 627-4551

tp@mccall.com (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jul2.234056.5169@vmp.com>, oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) writes:
> In article <2998.2688cec8@mccall.com>, tp@mccall.com writes:
>> If you want to use a different standard, it looks like you have 3 options:
>>
>>     3) Reject the concept of integrating into the internet address scheme.
>>     Form an alternate network of uucp sites, with gateways into whatever
>>     networks you want to talk with (e.g. the internet) that perform the
>>     gatewaying function the way you want. ...
>
> Or just designate certain machines to be "UUCP-Domain Gateway"
> machines.  Then everyone in the UUCP Domain could have an address
> such as "joe%bob.uucp@uunet.uu.net".
>
> Then just make sure that uunet (or whatever registered gateway)
> would take the Internet addresses and turn them into valid addresses
> for whatever neighbor it was passing them to.  And receive addresses
> in any format and turn them into valid Internet addresses.  All it
> would take is informing the gateway what kind of mail software and
> what kind of addressing you are using.

I was referring to what it would take to create a network with no
exceptions or problems. You can't co-opt the existing uucp network, because
you don't have any way of shutting down non-conforming gateways, which will
continue to interject problems into your network.

Your scheme, where the gateway routes in the format preferred by the
neighbor, simply pushes the problem down a level. The site that received
the message and wanted to pass it on would likewise have to ensure that he
translated the address as apropriate for the next site to receive it, etc.,
until it reached its destination. All the translations would have to be
unambiguous and reversible, since the recipient may want to reply.

Since we are talking about the existing network, what you are seeking here
is a degree of cooperation and concientiousness never before seen on a
net-wide basis. Great, how do we bring it about? You can't get everyone to
run the same software. Even now not all uucp sites run smail. Some sites
run smail, some run sendmail, and some run both. In the minority, but
definately out there, are mmdf, pmdf, and probably many others I don't know
about. What are the chances that these will all work together to the degree
that you describe (zip, they are all out there and we still have problems).

> It seems to me that this is the de facto situation and that the
> problems are occurring at the exceptions rather than the rule (i.e.
> sites that don't talk to their neighbors about the format of the
> stuff they intend to pass through them).

Actually, they aren't exceptions, just different sets of rules. In the
absence of an accepted standard that actually handles the problems, you can
argue about the best way to do it, but nobody can win the argument.
--
Terry Poot <tp@mccall.com>                The McCall Pattern Company
(uucp: ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!mccall!tp)     615 McCall Road
(800)255-2762, in KS (913)776-4041        Manhattan, KS 66502, USA

root@yclept.chi.il.us (Root) (07/04/90)

In article <ao5ccf.76f@wang.com> fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) writes:
[These comments have been heavily abbreviated.]

+In fact, I'm surprised that there are "many" hosts
+still left that don't handle MXs.  Independent of UUCP gateways, there
+are lots of hosts that really are on the Internet but have MX records for
+themselves pointing to other hosts (because they don't run sendmail
+daemons or whatever).  These machines wouldn't be able to get mail from
+MX-ignorant hosts either.
+
+---
+Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz@wang.com
+1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz

I have seen in recently distributed operating systems, versions of sendmail,
should as 5.14, that do not appear to handle MX records.  I have replaced
sendmail on several machines with version 5.64 to obtain MX record capacity.

	Randolph J. Herber,
	@ home: {att|mcdchg|laidbak|clout|obdient|wheaton}!yclept!rjh,
		rjh@yclept.chi.il.us

tp@mccall.com (07/05/90)

This is directed at both Les and Tom Neff, even though I'm not quite
certain that either was suggesting the idea I'm responding to! :-)

In article <1990Jul2.204816.1895@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> I had in mind something like:
>   site2.site1.bang.Berkeley.edu
> meaning:  consult the rules for delivering to subdomains under the
>           subdomain "bang" to obtain the routing for the message.
> This notation would make it clear that no one except a gateway for
> Berkely.edu has any business interpreting it as well as being a
> legal address everywhere that domain addresses are wanted.
> If the path contains characters that would be illegal as subdomain
> names something like this might work:
>   6973657421316973657432.hex.Berkeley.edu

Well, either could certainly be done. Note however that you can't
generalize this into a netwide mechanism, because (except in the .US
domain) the admin of any domain has full control over his subdomain
namespace. There are probably subdomains out there already named bang and
hex in some domain or other. Of course, you could campaign to make this a
common practice.

Personally, I think if you are going to host an "alien" machine under your
subdomain, you should just give it a name, rather than trying to embed
routing info in the address. That's one of the strengths of domains, the
address is independent of the underlying routing. The address need not
change if the routing does. My address is tp@mccall.com. You can send me
mail. If you don't try to look it up, I'll bet you don't know how that mail
reaches me. THAT is the whole point!

Thus, while I was half joking, I would prefer to see
pcbbs.NotPartOf.Berkeley.edu rather than pcbbs.othersite.bang.Berkeley.edu,
where othersite!pcbbs!user is a bangpath from Berkeley.edu.