[comp.mail.uucp] A small Telebit problem

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (07/01/90)

   This is not a uucp problem but a modem problem.  I'd taken for granted
   my reliable connections with a Hayes modem.  This new Telebit finally
   will connect at both 1200-2400 and 19200 with the addition of two
   device names in the devices file.  BUT, I can't get it to allow 1200
   baud modems to dial in.   It's FRUSTRATING.

   I don't know mabey it's broken or something.  It always throws PEP
   signals, first thing, at calling modems, if S90=0 or S90=1.  S90=2
   will give a tone on answer, and then it will throw a PEP screwing
   everything up.

   I just want the PEP signals at the end of the answer sequence.
   Thats all.   Not a major request really. :-)

   ?????  H e l p

 +--------
 |  Bill England
 |  Stephen Software Systems, Inc.,   Tacoma Wa.
 |  wengland@stephsf.com              +1 206 564 2122

  * *      H -> He +24Mev
 * * * ... Oooo, we're having so much fun making itty bitty suns *
  * *

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (07/01/90)

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) writes:

>    I don't know mabey it's broken or something.  It always throws PEP
>    signals, first thing, at calling modems, if S90=0 or S90=1.  S90=2
>    will give a tone on answer, and then it will throw a PEP screwing
>    everything up.

Do you mean the S92 register?  I known if you set S92=1, you will force
PEP tones at the _end_ of the answer sequence.  The S90 register seems
to be used to enable v.22 (set S90-0).

>    I just want the PEP signals at the end of the answer sequence.
>    Thats all.   Not a major request really. :-)

Makes sense, especially since quite a number of 2400 baud modems and
a greater number of 1200 baud modems barf when encountering PEP (or
v.32 or MNP) tones in the handshake sequence.  This shortcoming can
often be overcome by setting the S9 and S10 register to 20 or greater,
forcing the slower modem to ignore breaks in the data stream.

This information is provided from my experience with an early Telebit
Trailblazer and now with a TB+.  I would think this would hold true
for a T2500, also.

--
 "These are the days of lasers in the jungle..."
  Paul Simon, "The Boy In The Bubble" on the _Graceland_ album

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (07/02/90)

In article <HZ6LL2w162w@halcyon.wa.com>, ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims)
 writes:
> wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) writes:
>>    I just want the PEP signals at the end of the answer sequence.
>>    Thats all.   Not a major request really. :-)
>
> Do you mean the S92 register?  I known if you set S92=1, you will force
> PEP tones at the _end_ of the answer sequence.  The S90 register seems
> to be used to enable v.22 (set S90-0).
> This information is provided from my experience with an early Telebit
> Trailblazer and now with a TB+.  I would think this would hold true
> for a T2500, also.

It works here with a T2500.

Just one thing:  If you set S92=1, sites that call you and expect to connect
in PEP mode will have to set their S50=255 (to force a PEP connection) before
doing the dial.  Normally S50=0 (auto-speed determination).  If the calling
TB modem is set S50=0, and the answering TB modem is set S92=1, they happily
sync up at whatever speed the answerer sends tones for first -- typically
2400, the way mine are set up.  Having the caller do S50=255 solves this; the
calling modem patiently waits until the PEP tones show up (assuming you both
set S7 large enough; I set mine to 90 seconds).

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (07/03/90)

In article <1422.268e1a89@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
>In article <HZ6LL2w162w@halcyon.wa.com>, ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims)
> writes:
>> wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) writes:
>>>    I just want the PEP signals at the end of the answer sequence.
>>>    Thats all.   Not a major request really. :-)

   Thanks for your responses.  I could not understand why the modem
would not configure properly.  Sometimes it would work and then it
would not.  Also after a failed uucp call out the DTR light would
not come back on, sometimes.

  It appears that the com ports are dropping out some chars when
uucp tries to configure the modem during call out.   I'm going to
try to get FAS running.   I just recieved a copy of the source
this morning.

            ( If I disappear, I've self destructed. )

 +--------

chad@anasaz.UUCP (Chad R. Larson) (07/06/90)

In article <173@stephsf.stephsf.com> wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com
(Bill England) writes:
+---------------
|    I just want the PEP signals at the end of the answer sequence.
|    Thats all.   Not a major request really. :-)
+---------------
Quoting from TFM:

S92	Answering Sequence Selection
    Range:   0-2
    Default: 0

The S92 register is used to change the sequence of answering tones issued
by the moden when answering a call in automatic speed determination mode
(S50=0).  This is required to accomodate slower modems which are
adversley affected by PEP answer tones.

The following possible contents of the S92 register are only valid when
the modem is answering a call in automatic speed determination mode:

    0  Use the normal search sequence specified in the S50 register
       description.
    1  Issue the PEP answer tones at the end of the search sequence
       rather than at the beginning to accomodate connecting with slower
       speed (non-PEP) modems.
    2  Use the normal search sequence specified in the S50 register
       description but preceeded by a three second V.25 answer tone.

--
Chad R. Larson          ...{mcdphx,asuvax}!anasaz!chad or chad@anasaz.UUCP
Anasazi, Inc. - 7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Suite 120, Phoenix, Az 85020