[comp.mail.uucp] Elm Configure

In article <KZE4TMD@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>We have a network of some 30 machines that look like one machine to mail.
>I have had to make lots of changes to elm 2.2 to get it to work in this
>environment. I don't plan on upgrading to 2.3 in the near term.

Can you explain a bit more about how you did this and what problems
you encountered?  I'm considering something like this, perhaps using
smail 3.1 set up to lie in both the From_ and From: lines, and using
an alias file to resolve all user addreses.  As far as I can tell,
this would be transparent to the MUA (what did you have to do to ELM?).
Smail 3.1 can understand multiple names for the local host so there
should be no problem in accepting messages in local form or to the
common name and delivering to the specific machine from the alias list.
The main question I have is whether it would be better to modify
smail to be able to put different things on the From_ line, depending
on the destination, or to change all our external uucp connections to
use the MYNAME= feature of HDB uucp to actually look like a single machine
from the outside?

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

In article <1990Jul5.175844.141@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> Can you explain a bit more about how you did this and what problems
> you encountered?

The main problems hae been due to the fact that the C compiler we have is
broken. For the elm part of things, I compiled it with a fixed host name
and have it running through smail 2.5. I have smail 2.5 modified to insist
that all machines on the Xenix network are really "ficc.ferranti.com". I have
a GLOBALNAME define that is referenced in headers.c in 3 places: in generating
the default To and From lines, and where it checks for DOMAIN and hostdomain
to strip them off. Then I have a "users" file :include:ed from aliases that
maps the user name to a real user@system name.

I also hacked smail 2.5 to grok the % hack.

> The main question I have is whether it would be better to modify
> smail to be able to put different things on the From_ line, depending
> on the destination, or to change all our external uucp connections to
> use the MYNAME= feature of HDB uucp to actually look like a single machine
> from the outside?

All our external UUCP connections are through a single machine. I have smail
feeding a program (currently a shell script) in /usr/lib/smail/router that
figures what actual link to send mail through (network, internal UUCP, or
external UUCP).
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.