[comp.mail.uucp] What use is Trailblazer compression?

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (07/05/90)

Is Trailblazer compress any use with uucp for mail transfer?  Although I'm
pretty sure it would be counter-productive with compressed news batches, is
there likely to be any increase in throughput if I have my Trailblazer
attempt to negotiate compression when exchanging plaintext mail with sites
which are not newsfeeds?  Has anybody run tests?  Was it a win?
--
Dominic Dunlop

In article <1990Jul4.195351.9324@tsa.co.uk> domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
> Is Trailblazer compress any use with uucp for mail transfer?  Although I'm
> pretty sure it would be counter-productive with compressed news batches, is
> there likely to be any increase in throughput if I have my Trailblazer
> attempt to negotiate compression when exchanging plaintext mail with sites
> which are not newsfeeds?  Has anybody run tests?  Was it a win?

It is probably of some benefit, however mail is transfered in two files, one
tiny command file and one usually small data file.  UUCP queue search and
other per file overhead usually swamps any effective transfer rate on this
sort of activity.

The only way to full honest thruput is to send large compressed news batches
or uucp file transfers.  I suppose one could try a uncompressed new feed with
compression enabled as a lark, but motivation is lacking.

The one place where compression in the modem really pays of is sending CAD or
DP flavor printouts where there is a lot of redundancy/repetition.  Even here,
the trailblazer suffers because it doesn't support 38.4 Kbps and the 19.2 Kbps
interface rate is too close to the nominal transmission rate to see any
impressive compression factors.  It would help more on international or other
ratty connections that usually see speeds considerably less that 12-14Kbps.

andy@acorn.co.uk (Andy Ingle) (07/05/90)

I've used the Trailblazer's built-in compression to feed batched but
uncompressed news when my overloaded CPU couldn't take on any more
compression itself.  It certainly works but I didn't run any measured
tests to see what the improvement (if any) was.

The best arrangement if for an answering modem to always set S110=1
(enable compression if other end agrees) and let the caller decide
whether to use compression or not.

--Andy Ingle

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (07/05/90)

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:

>Is Trailblazer compress any use with uucp for mail transfer?  Although I'm
>pretty sure it would be counter-productive with compressed news batches, is
>there likely to be any increase in throughput if I have my Trailblazer
>attempt to negotiate compression when exchanging plaintext mail with sites
>which are not newsfeeds?  Has anybody run tests?  Was it a win?

Here at nstar, we have our blazer set up with compression disabled
since all of our news is compressed likewise all the bbs files.

We were at one time (last year in the Xenix 386 days) running with
compression enabled in the modems and found that it actually decreased
throughput.

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
 Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-3745 / lots of files & free PEP feeds!

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (07/06/90)

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:

>Is Trailblazer compress any use with uucp for mail transfer?  Although I'm
>pretty sure it would be counter-productive with compressed news batches, is
>there likely to be any increase in throughput if I have my Trailblazer
>attempt to negotiate compression when exchanging plaintext mail with sites
>which are not newsfeeds?

   You are correct about the compressed news batches not gaining any
performance.  In fact, on compressed files, it could actually hinder
performance.  However, on plain ascii files, you will gain whatever
compression ratio, their algorithm is able to achieve.  I would guess
around 30% increase, if you are able to get a 30% compression ratio. In
most instances, it could only speed the transmission time, not slow it
down (unless you are transferring binary files).

> Has anybody run tests?  Was it a win?

Unfortunately I havent ever used compression, as we mainly transfer batched
compressed news.  However, if you transfer mostly plain ascii files, I would
highly recommend its usage; try it for a while, see what performance changes
you get on transferring the same files.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (07/08/90)

I've found it useful to make some of the links on sgi.sgi.com use
compression and some not.  Those links where compressed news batches are
most common seem to benefit from having it turned off.  Others where mail
and file transfers dominate benefit from having it turned on.  It is easy
to switch by adding the necessary commands to the phone number, or in HDB
UUCP, by choosing differing ACU-types/Dialers-entries.  One often has to do
extra fiddling for sites that have odd combinations of PEP tone
presentation, v.32, PBX delays after answering and before presenting tones,
and so on.  A little more hacking to select the correct compression is not
a big deal.

Vernon Schryver
vjs@sgi.com