[comp.mail.uucp] Public domain UUCICO & UUXQT

rahard@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (07/04/90)

I am trying to get my UUCP up and running. Now here is what I found.
Waffle is a very good program, but the mail doesn't have a
subject line (I need it !!). Its UUCICO and UUXQT are excellent.
So is there any public domain UUCICO and UUXQT ?
If not, is it possible to use Waffle's UUCICO and UUXQT with
other public domain UUCP ? (Just to get the mail with subject
line).

Most UUIO program does not allow ctrl-c (break) in the middle
of connection. Is there a way I can suspend the connection ?

Thanks,
-- Budi
--
Budi Rahardjo                 <rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
<rahard@ee.umanitoba.ca>   <rahard@budi.ee.umanitoba.ca>

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (07/04/90)

rahard@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
> I am trying to get my UUCP up and running. Now here is what I found.
> Waffle is a very good program, but the mail doesn't have a
> subject line (I need it !!). Its UUCICO and UUXQT are excellent.

Uh, I'm running Waffle v1.63/5 (beta release), and mail supports
a Subject: line.  It has since v1.61, when I first started using
Waffle.  It may have been supported earlier than that, but I don't
know...

You don't list what version of Waffle you're using.  Perhaps you
don't have the latest version?

The ask: line in the STATIC file controls what header items
the user is asked to fill in when sending mail.  If you don't
have an ask: line, or if it doesn't include "Subject", you
should add one.  My ask: line looks like this:

ask          : Subject

> So is there any public domain UUCICO and UUXQT ?

There are other implimentations of UUCP available for MS-DOS.  Free
or shareware ones include UUPC and FSUUCP; payware ones include
UULINK.  But UUPC doesn't support Usenet news, FSUUCP seems to
be rather buggy, and UULINK is fairly expensive ($300).  Your
best bet would be to use Waffle, because it *should* be able to
do what you want it to.

> If not, is it possible to use Waffle's UUCICO and UUXQT with
> other public domain UUCP ? (Just to get the mail with subject
> line).

Not that I know of, but if you want to write one, go ahead.

> Most UUIO program does not allow ctrl-c (break) in the middle
> of connection. Is there a way I can suspend the connection ?

That's because MS-DOS, by default, will only check for the ^C
when text is written to the screen using BIOS or DOS calls.
If you set BREAK=ON, it will check more often, but you still may
have to wait until it prints something to the screen.

For the record, Waffle's UUCICO usually responds promptly to a
^C, whether or not it's printing anything to the screen.

Disclaimer: I am not connected with Thomas Dell or Darkside
International except as an (unpaid) beta-tester and a satisfied
user of Waffle.

--
Marc Unangst                           | "It is dangerous to be right when
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us    | the government is wrong."

count0@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Roy Silvernail) (07/12/90)

rahard@eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) writes:

>I am trying to get my UUCP up and running. Now here is what I found.
>Waffle is a very good program, but the mail doesn't have a
>subject line (I need it !!). Its UUCICO and UUXQT are excellent.

You need only add the line
ask : Subject
in your /waffle/system/static file, and Waffle will ask for and include a
subject line.

>Most UUIO program does not allow ctrl-c (break) in the middle
>of connection. Is there a way I can suspend the connection ?

Waffle UCICO can be killed with a Ctrl-C at any time (Ver. 1.62)

--
Roy M. Silvernail | Imported from Alaska, where Hell really does freeze over!
"You'll be lookin' for me on another label!" (here's 3 of 'em...)