[comp.mail.uucp] which smail should I run?

gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (07/18/90)

This is the kind of thing I should know already, but I don't.

I'm thinking of running smail as an adjunct to our sendmail setup.  Should I
get the most recent version (whatever that may be)?  I remember hearing that
recent smails may be overkill for this kind of thing.

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul18.041509.12245@maytag.waterloo.edu> gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>This is the kind of thing I should know already, but I don't.
>
>I'm thinking of running smail as an adjunct to our sendmail setup.  Should I
>get the most recent version (whatever that may be)?  I remember hearing that
>recent smails may be overkill for this kind of thing.

Smail 3 is such `overkill' that you can name it /usr/lib/sendmail
and say good bye to sendmail.cf *FOREVER*.  Smail 3 does not attempt
to require user configuration information in form resembling tokenized
BASIC.

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare  emory!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
Ker-au'-lo-phon.   An  8-foot  partial  flue-stop, having metal pipes
surmounted by adjustable rings, and with a hole bored near the top of
each pipe.  Tone soft and "reedy".