[comp.mail.uucp] How can I make mail work? Soo many options, so little skill!

jon@savant.UUCP (Jon Gefaell) (08/06/90)

I've got some questions that I hope y'all will wanna help out with...

savant runs ESIX SVR3 (Rev D) and ELM 2.2 (Will put in 2.3 maybe today)
the 'latest' rn, the 'latest' bnews 2.11 (all these fresh from uunet ftp)
smail 2.5.

I'm clueless how to make mail work... I don't run pathalias. I'm one hop from
a very big and smart internet site (Virginia) and have a on line paths file:

smart-host	virginia!%s	0

here's what happens. When mail makes it INTO savant, I can reply in elm quite
nicely. I just reply, and nothing complains, looking at the uucp queue for
the mail host at virginia shows an rnews fqdn.user (like watt.acc.virginia.edu!
jon) I assume it's 'rewriting' things... At any rate, people recieve that mail
just fine.

BUT, when I originate mail from elm, the following happens....

From jon Sun Aug  5 13:10 EDT 1990
Date: 5 Aug 90 13:10:45 EDT (Sun)
From: MAILER-DAEMON@savant.UUCP
Subject: failed mail
To: jon

=======     command failed      =======

 COMMAND: address resolution ('jeg7e' @ 'virginia.edu') failed

======= standard error follows  =======
======= text of message follows =======
Subject: this is a test
To: jeg7e@virginia.edu
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 90 13:10:43 EDT
From: Jon Gefaell <jon@savant.UUCP>

This is a test to show mail originated from savant bombing...
--

I can't figure out who is puking this message out. Sendmail seems to have
been installed when I put in Network Support Utilities as a prerequisite

Also, I can't originate new mail from rn either, r, and R don't work...
I get the same exact response as above.  HELP! (aarrgghh!)

At least it seems like the same problem in both cases....

Thanks!
--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+