[comp.mail.uucp] Sending Postmaster a copy of bounced mail

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (08/08/90)

Sites that run sendmail usually have things set up so that bounced
mail, in addition to being returned to the sender, is sent to the
Postmaster.  This lets the Postmaster clear up small problems, identify
config troubles, etc.

How do you do this with Smail 3.1.19?  Can it be done with the
{directors,routers} files, or will I have to write a new router?
Any help appreciated...

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

brian@motcsd.csd.mot.com (Brian Smithson) (08/10/90)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

>Sites that run sendmail usually have things set up so that bounced
>mail, in addition to being returned to the sender, is sent to the
>Postmaster.  This lets the Postmaster clear up small problems, identify
>config troubles, etc.

>How do you do this with Smail 3.1.19?  Can it be done with the
>{directors,routers} files, or will I have to write a new router?
>Any help appreciated...

This doesn't answer your question about smail 3.1, but it might be of
interest to smail 2.5 users:

In deliver.c, make the following changes to return_mail:

446c435
< 	(void) sprintf(r, "%s %s postmaster", SMAIL, VFLAG);
---
> 	(void) sprintf(r, "%s %s", SMAIL, VFLAG);
476c465
< 	(void) fprintf(out, "To: postmaster, %s\n", from);
---
> 	(void) fprintf(out, "To: %s\n", from);

Your line numbers may vary, since I have some other crude hacks in smail.

Note:
Make sure that you *have* a deliverable address for postmaster defined on your
system, else you'll bounce messages endlessly.  I speak from experience :-)

--
-Brian Smithson, Manager, ISV Engineering
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Computer Systems Division

tron@tolerant.com (Ron Karr) (08/10/90)

In article <u6NkN4w162w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
 >Sites that run sendmail usually have things set up so that bounced
 >mail, in addition to being returned to the sender, is sent to the
 >Postmaster.  This lets the Postmaster clear up small problems, identify
 >config troubles, etc.
 >
 >How do you do this with Smail 3.1.19?  Can it be done with the
 >{directors,routers} files, or will I have to write a new router?
 >Any help appreciated...

Gee, and I was somewhat worried that Smail was sending to much to the
postmaster.  Anyway, the answer to your question depends on what it is
that you want.  Thus, rather than try to answer your specific question,
I will discuss what smail3.1 does.

Internally, when Smail3 detects an error, it will categorize the
possible recipient of an error message into one or more of the
following buckets:

	ERR_NSENDER	notify the sender
	ERR_NPOSTMAST	notify the postmaster
	ERR_NSOWNER	notify the sender or address owner
	ERR_NPOWNER	notify the postmaster or address owner

The ERR_NSENDER bucket is used for errors that result from the message
itself.  The two primary examples are address syntax errors in the
message envelope, and a maximum-hop-count-exceeded error.

The ERR_NPOSTMAST is used for errors that derive purely from
errors in the configuration of smail itself.

The ERR_NSOWNER is used for messages that could derive from an
incorrectly specified address in the message, or that could derive
from an incorrectly specified address in an alias or mailing list
File.  In such cases, mail will be sent to an address of the form
owner-aliasname or owner-listname, except that if no such address
can be found, then the message is returned to the sender.

The ERR_NPOWNER this is used for problems dealing with perceived
security problems in aliases or mailing lists, or for problems
in actually parsing a mailing list or aliases file.  In such cases,
the address owner is notified, if one exists, or the postmaster is
notified if no address owner address exists.

The specific cases where one value is used over another are all
hard coded into Smail (admittedly a short-sighted solution).  As
a result, the only way to really do what you want (send more stuff
to the postmaster) is to physically modify the sources themselves.
--
	tron |-<=>-|		ARPAnet:  veritas!tron@apple.com
      tron@veritas.com		UUCPnet:  {amdahl,apple,pyramid}!veritas!tron