[comp.mail.uucp] smail weirdness

smartin@torsys02_1.uucp (Stephen Martin) (08/16/90)

I am trying to install smail 3.1 Patchlevel 18 and am seeing something really
strange.  The program tests fine when i try it under my own user id but when
i try it as root or with the program as setuid root it gives me a mapping
failure from ld.so.  I have changed the EDITME file and modified both the
CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to specify -Bstatic (I'm running SunOs 4.0.3 on sun3s) but
it still does it.  The following is a trace of what happens. Anyone have any
ideas??
--
Script started on Thu Aug 16 08:25:36 1990
torsys03% ./smail -bv -v a@iemisi.uucp
a@iemisi.uucp: iemisi.uucp matched by uucp_neighbors:
    routed a@iemisi.uucp --> a at iemisi
a at iemisi ... deliverable
torsys03% su
Password:
torsys03# ./smail -bv -v a@iemisi.uucp
crt0: /usr/lib/ld.so mapping failure
router uucp_neighbors: command `/usr/bin/uuname' returned exit status EX_32512
a@iemisi.uucp ... error: router uucp_neighbors: command `/usr/bin/uuname' returned exit status EX_32512
torsys03#
torsys03%
script done on Thu Aug 16 08:26:21 1990
--
Stephen Martin             -------      LSI Logic Corporation of Canada, Inc.
Phone: (416) 620-7400   LSI|LOGIC|      Suite 1110, 401 The West Mall,

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (08/21/90)

In article <SMARTIN.90Aug16083545@torsys02_1.uucp> smartin@torsys02_1.uucp (Stephen Martin) writes:
>I am trying to install smail 3.1 Patchlevel 18 and am seeing something really
>strange.  The program tests fine when i try it under my own user id but when
>i try it as root or with the program as setuid root it gives me a mapping
>failure from ld.so.  I have changed the EDITME file and modified both the
>CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to specify -Bstatic (I'm running SunOs 4.0.3 on sun3s) but
>it still does it.  The following is a trace of what happens. Anyone have any
>ideas??

Make sure to do a "make clobber; make" after changing the EDITME file, or
the changes might not make it into all the defs.*s and Makefiles. This
one bit me a few weeks back.

--
     Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
         {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca