[comp.mail.uucp] Subdomains

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (08/27/90)

Please forgive me if this is the wrong newsgroup, but this *is* a
UUCP-related question.

I have recently applied to NIC to obtain a domain name and have been
granted the name "mccc.edu".  The machine 'princeton' (domain name
"princeton.edu") is my primary server, and is connected to machine
'mccc' via a dial-up telephone line.  'princeton' is on the Internet;
'mccc' has only UUCP connections via dial-up to our neighbors.

Some of these neighbors have asked if they can be listed as subdomains,
e.g., 'pclabs.mccc.edu'.  "Can" is operational -- it's OK with me but I
have no idea if it can be done and (if it can) how to do it.  Can anyone
help me?

Also, 'mccc' is connected to one (soon to be two) other machines over a
Starlan network.  Can those machines be included in a subdomain?  If so, how?

Thanks very much for your help.

Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

joe@cbnews.att.com (Joseph Judge) (08/27/90)

	Pete,

	( I am assuming that you meant that princeton.edu is your mail
	forwarder and that you are listed with an MX record)

	As I understand it. You are "set".

	Email to X.Y.MCC.EDU will be looked up, the MX record for MCC.EDU
	will be found and the email handed off to your mail forwarder,
	princeton.edu.

	Now, they will see the email for mcc.edu and hand it off to you,
	over the UUCP link.

	*You are responsible of "knowing" how to take care of the email.*
	(or princeton.edu will yell at you and call you names :)

	You will have to "know" how to handle any email going to the Y
	subdomain of mcc.edu (for the above example).

	How you do this depends on what kind of mailer you are running.
	On mine, I just need to know that host Z, is the gateway machine
	for y.att.com. So, email to a.y.att.com will get passed off to Z.

	(and that gateway has to "know" how to handle that subdomain email,
	or I yell at them and call the administrator names :)

	Joseph Judge   postmaster@att.com

In article <1990Aug26.203211.4863@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>Please forgive me if this is the wrong newsgroup, but this *is* a
>UUCP-related question.
>
>I have recently applied to NIC to obtain a domain name and have been
>granted the name "mccc.edu".  The machine 'princeton' (domain name
>"princeton.edu") is my primary server, and is connected to machine
>'mccc' via a dial-up telephone line.  'princeton' is on the Internet;
>'mccc' has only UUCP connections via dial-up to our neighbors.
>
>Some of these neighbors have asked if they can be listed as subdomains,
>e.g., 'pclabs.mccc.edu'.  "Can" is operational -- it's OK with me but I
>have no idea if it can be done and (if it can) how to do it.  Can anyone
>help me?

In article <1990Aug26.203211.4863@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I have recently applied to NIC to obtain a domain name and have been
>granted the name "mccc.edu".  The machine 'princeton' (domain name
>"princeton.edu") is my primary server, and is connected to machine
>'mccc' via a dial-up telephone line.  'princeton' is on the Internet;
>'mccc' has only UUCP connections via dial-up to our neighbors.

>Some of these neighbors have asked if they can be listed as subdomains,
>e.g., 'pclabs.mccc.edu'.  "Can" is operational -- it's OK with me but I
>have no idea if it can be done and (if it can) how to do it.  Can anyone
>help me?

You need two things to make this work: (1) your internet nameserver/forwarder
must either supply an explicit MX record for each subdomain name you
add or a wild-card MX that will allow you to add anything you want below
your own domain name, and (2) your mailer must recognize the subdomain
names and route them correctly via uucp.
I recommend smail 3 as the solution to the latter problem - it will
compile under SysV and do exactly what you need.

>Also, 'mccc' is connected to one (soon to be two) other machines over a
>Starlan network.  Can those machines be included in a subdomain?  If so, how?

If you are using uucp over starlan, your mailer won't know the difference
from any other uucp transport.  If you are currently using any of AT&T's
PMX mailers, I have some hacks to smail 3 to add the "Content-Type:" and
"Content-Length:" headers and a few other things to keep it from getting
confused.  Let me know if you want them.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us   or les@fb.com

mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (08/28/90)

On 27 Aug 90 02:21:08 GMT, joe@cbnews.att.com (Joseph Judge) said:

Joseph> 	Pete,

Joseph> 	( I am assuming that you meant that princeton.edu is your mail
Joseph> 	forwarder and that you are listed with an MX record)

Why assume when you can look?

	% nslookup
	> server princeton.edu.
	Default Server:  princeton.edu
	Address:  128.112.128.1

	> set qt=any
	> mccc.edu.
	Server:  princeton.edu
	Address:  128.112.128.1

	mccc.edu        origin = MCCC.EDU
	        mail addr = root.Princeton.EDU
	        serial=1, refresh=10800, retry=3600, expire=3600000, min=86400
	mccc.edu        nameserver = Princeton.EDU
	mccc.edu        nameserver = NISC.JVNC.NET
	mccc.edu        preference = 10, mail exchanger = Princeton.EDU
	Princeton.EDU   inet address = 128.112.128.1
	NISC.JVNC.NET   inet address = 128.121.50.7

So we know that princeton.edu is both the primary DNS server and the
MX forwarder for mccc.edu.

Now to see about sub-domains. If you they have a wild-card MX record
it will match any random sub-domain and would normally send you e-mail
and let you resolve it.

	> foo.mccc.edu.
	Server:  princeton.edu
	Address:  128.112.128.1

	*** princeton.edu can't find foo.mccc.edu.: Non-existent domain

Nope. They are not providing a wild-card MX record for *.mccc.edu so
they are assuming that you will give them perfect knowledge of any
hostname or sub-domain for which they are to provide MX forwarding
service.

Joseph> 	As I understand it. You are "set".

Actually, it all depends on what princeton.edu is doing with mccc.edu.
It could be just mapping mccc.edu => mccc.uucp in which case mccc.edu
is really a single host domain. Alternatively, it could be made more
intelligent.

Joseph> 	Email to X.Y.MCC.EDU will be looked up, the MX record
Joseph> 	for MCC.EDU will be found and the email handed off to
Joseph> 	your mail forwarder, princeton.edu.

[minor correction, it is mccc.edu not mcc.edu.]

This is only true if princeton.edu is providing MX records for both
the primary domain name and any sub-domains. Currently it looks like
princeton.edu is only providing a single MX record for mccc.edu.

Joseph> 	Now, they will see the email for mcc.edu and hand it
Joseph> 	off to you, over the UUCP link.

If princeton.edu sees e-mail for mccc.edu it will probably send it to
mccc.uucp. That is the nature of the MX forwarder function. It is up
to an agreement between princeton.edu and mccc.edu as to whether the
mccc.edu and/or any foo.mccc.edu names actually reach the mccc.uucp
machine intact or if it is re-written to your purge UUCP name.

Joseph> 	*You are responsible of "knowing" how to take care of
Joseph> 	the email.* (or princeton.edu will yell at you and
Joseph> 	call you names :)

True if princeton.edu is providing wildcard MX records. Alternatively,
they could provide explicit MX records for each sub-domain you wish.
This is sometimes desirable if/when the link is of high cost.

Joseph> 	You will have to "know" how to handle any email going to the Y
Joseph> 	subdomain of mcc.edu (for the above example).

This is true.

Joseph> 	How you do this depends on what kind of mailer you are
Joseph> 	running.  On mine, I just need to know that host Z, is
Joseph> 	the gateway machine for y.att.com. So, email to
Joseph> 	a.y.att.com will get passed off to Z.

Joseph> 	(and that gateway has to "know" how to handle that
Joseph> 	subdomain email, or I yell at them and call the
Joseph> 	administrator names :)

This is typically true. However, some domains have the sub-domain
converted to a UUCP name directly at the MX forwarder (c.f.,
lonestar.org) and then sent using pathalias output from UUCP maps.

Remember, an MX forwarder is the gateway from the Internet to some
other kind of world. There are many possible ways to get things done
including converting the domain name into a pure uucp path which is
devised using the UUCP maps.

Joseph> 	Joseph Judge   postmaster@att.com

Joseph> In article <1990Aug26.203211.4863@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>Please forgive me if this is the wrong newsgroup, but this *is* a
>UUCP-related question.
>
>I have recently applied to NIC to obtain a domain name and have been
>granted the name "mccc.edu".  The machine 'princeton' (domain name
>"princeton.edu") is my primary server, and is connected to machine
>'mccc' via a dial-up telephone line.  'princeton' is on the Internet;
>'mccc' has only UUCP connections via dial-up to our neighbors.
>
>Some of these neighbors have asked if they can be listed as subdomains,
>e.g., 'pclabs.mccc.edu'.  "Can" is operational -- it's OK with me but I
>have no idea if it can be done and (if it can) how to do it.  Can anyone
>help me?

You need to talk to your MX forwarder about this. If they are willing
to provide a wild-card MX record to forward any random foo.mccc.edu to
your machine, then you will have to have the software to figure out
how to deliver mail sent to these domain names to the sites they
belong to. How easy this is to do largely depends on the mailer
software you have on mccc.uucp.

Good Luck,
--
Mark D. Baushke