[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP on Macs

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) (09/05/90)

	Hi, netters.

	Have you heard anything about UUCP & RFC822-compatible E-mail
	for Mac's native system? I'm not familiar with this stuff,
	but I have to install some sort of UUCP to Mac.

	I have no intention to use it for commercial purposes, so
	I like to get a public-domain sources (I'll hack it to make it
	pass Russian letters).

	Any information will be appreciated :-).
	Please reply me by E-mail to avg@hq.demos.su or (if it doesn't
	work from your place) avg%hq.demos.su@fuug.fi .

	Thanx in advance, nice guys!

	Vadim Antonov
	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
	(It is NOT a joke!)

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (09/11/90)

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:
>	Have you heard anything about UUCP & RFC822-compatible E-mail
>	for Mac's native system? I'm not familiar with this stuff,
>	but I have to install some sort of UUCP to Mac.

There is uupc 2.1 available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu, or gnuucp 2.6
available from ics.uci.edu.  Both come with complete source and almost
no documentation; both assume that you are experienced with uucp
installation and maintenance on Unix machines.

There is also an almost-ready-to-ship product called Umail from ICE
Engineering.  I believe a message to time@ox.com would provide more
information.  This is a commercial product, without source.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep5.111710.4642@hq.demos.su>, avg@hq.demos.su
 (Vadim G. Antonov) wrote:
) From: avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov)
) Newsgroups: comp.mail.uucp
) Subject: UUCP on Macs
) Date: 5 Sep 90 11:17:10 GMT
) ...
) 	Vadim Antonov
) 	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
) 	(It is NOT a joke!)

Sigh, how the world changes...  Just one short year ago and this
would have to be an April Fool joke!  Even a few months ago people
were still joking about having the .SU domain hooked up.

Amazing, indeed!!!

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

joe@cbnews.att.com (Joseph Judge) (09/11/90)

	I'll post this to the net, also. I have found the UUPC for the Mac
	and a Mac GNUUUCP (sources and binaries).

	I haven't looked at the GNUUUCP, but the UUPC was hard to set up
	and use.

	Joseph Judge		postmaster@ATT.COM

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (09/12/90)

In article <1843@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> Samuel Lam <skl@wimsey.bc.ca> writes:
}In article <1990Sep5.111710.4642@hq.demos.su>, avg@hq.demos.su
} (Vadim G. Antonov) wrote:
}) From: avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov)
}) Newsgroups: comp.mail.uucp
}) Date: 5 Sep 90 11:17:10 GMT
}) ...
}) 	Vadim Antonov
}) 	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
}) 	(It is NOT a joke!)
}
}Sigh, how the world changes...  Just one short year ago and this
}would have to be an April Fool joke!  Even a few months ago people
}were still joking about having the .SU domain hooked up.

I'll really believe it when u.ussr.0 appears :-) (Actually I guess it's
official now, demos is listed in u.fin.0 and u.eur.0.)

--
Stuart Lynne	Unifax Communications Inc.
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)     	sl@wimsey.bc.ca

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (09/12/90)

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:

> avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:

> >     Have you heard anything about UUCP & RFC822-compatible E-mail
> >     for Mac's native system? I'm not familiar with this stuff,
> >     but I have to install some sort of UUCP to Mac.

> There is also an almost-ready-to-ship product called Umail from ICE
> Engineering.  I believe a message to time@ox.com would provide more
> information.  This is a commercial product, without source.

Contact stui@caladan.uucp, if you wish.  I feed him news and everything
seems to flow right along.  Since I don't speak Apple, I'm not sure of
exactly WHAT he's been trying to tell me, but something about linking
this puppy into AppleTalk?  AppleNet? [enter slinking back into system
mode]

--
  Remember when dethroning idols to save the pedestals--they may come
  in handy...