[comp.mail.uucp] GNU UUCP

vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com (Jeff Comstock) (09/11/90)

In FSUUCP are some files under GNU.  It states that FSUUCP used
the GNU version of UUCP.  I would like to get this, but can't
find it anywhere.  Where can I get some source code for UUCP,
especially GNUUCP ?  ( its not at prep.ai.mit.edu, wustl,
ucbarpa.berkeley, uunet ).

Thanks in advance....

Jeff
jrc%brainiac.uucp@shamash.cdc.com
vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com

gmartin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Hackman) (09/12/90)

vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com (Jeff Comstock) writes.......
>In FSUUCP are some files under GNU.  It states that FSUUCP used
>the GNU version of UUCP.  I would like to get this, but can't
>find it anywhere.  Where can I get some source code for UUCP,
>especially GNUUCP ?  ( its not at prep.ai.mit.edu, wustl,
>ucbarpa.berkeley, uunet ).

A little off the question, but what version of FSUUCP are you looking at?
The current version (1.1 Release 4) does NOT use the GNUUCP.  You can obtain
the latest version from polyslo.calpoly.edu via anonymous ftp.

Questions about this version can be directed to Chris Ambler (cambler@polyslo),
support@fubarsys.slo.ca.us, or to me (gmartin@polyslo).

	-Guy Martin
	 Software Engineer/Documentation Coordinator - Fubar Systems

--
Guy Martin (Hackman)             //      Internet: gmartin@polyslo.calpoly.edu
---------------------           //       Fubarnet: guy@fubarsys.slo.ca.us

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar) (09/12/90)

vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com (Jeff Comstock) recently informed us:
>In FSUUCP are some files under GNU.  It states that FSUUCP used
>the GNU version of UUCP.

FSUUCP no longer uses *ANY* GNU code. I had trouble with some people demanding
that I release ALL source code since I used GNU g protocol drivers, so I
trashed all my GNU code (even threw out all hard copies) and reworked the
uucico from the beginning. Result is, no more hassles with GNU or the FSF,
and it runs many times faster and more reliably.

Side note: fsuucp 1.1 release 5 will be on polyslo by saturday, 15 september.

--
++Christopher(); --- cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu --- chris@fubarsys.slo.ca.us
---

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/14/90)

vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com (Jeff Comstock) wrote:
> In FSUUCP are some files under GNU.  It states that FSUUCP used
> the GNU version of UUCP.  I would like to get this, but can't
> find it anywhere.  Where can I get some source code for UUCP,
> especially GNUUCP ?

If FSUUCP's authors are using GNUUCP and are not distributing sources,
they are in violation of the GNU General Public License.

Check with the authors by phone or postal mail (if you can't reach them
by email).  The license specifies that either they must ship matching
sources with the binaries, or they must provide sources to anyone who
asks for them for a nominal charge.  If they are doing neither, wave a
club at them and tell them to stop.  FSF has never had to sue anyone
over copyleft violation but there's always a first time.
--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu        gnu@toad.com
 The Gutenberg Bible is printed on hemp (marijuana) paper.  So was the July 2,