[comp.mail.uucp] 4.2BSD --> SCO Xenix UUCP

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (09/15/90)

I am having trouble establishing a UUCP link from a VAX 11/750 to
a 386 box running SCO Xenix 2.3.2--NOTE:  from VAX to Xenix box.
No matter what communications speed I use, no matter what modem
I use (from a simple Hayes-compatible 1200 baud to a Telebit),
I can never get past the login prompt from the Xenix box.

I believe this may be some sort of parity-related problem.  The
Xenix machine doesn't ever see any input from the VAX.  Although
I can't find anything in the BSD manuals (and don't have source),
I seem to recall there's a way to specify other-then-default parity
in the BSD L.sys file.  Also, what suggested changes to the
Xenix box's /etc/gettydefs might address this?

(I have, by the way, the stuff from Telebit on setting up S registers,
etc., the SCO update for Telebit modems, and have received a number of
different versions of a dial program for the Telebit.  And, I have
exhaustingly tried manipulation of the VAX's Telebit S registers to
match what's prescibed for the Xenix machine.)

HELP?!?  Thank you.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

cliffb@cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) (09/16/90)

In article <1813@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>I am having trouble establishing a UUCP link from a VAX 11/750 to
>a 386 box running SCO Xenix 2.3.2--NOTE:  from VAX to Xenix box.
>No matter what communications speed I use, no matter what modem
>I use (from a simple Hayes-compatible 1200 baud to a Telebit),
>I can never get past the login prompt from the Xenix box.
>
>I believe this may be some sort of parity-related problem.  The
>Xenix machine doesn't ever see any input from the VAX.  Although
>I can't find anything in the BSD manuals (and don't have source),
>I seem to recall there's a way to specify other-then-default parity
>in the BSD L.sys file.  Also, what suggested changes to the
>Xenix box's /etc/gettydefs might address this?
>
>(I have, by the way, the stuff from Telebit on setting up S registers,
>etc., the SCO update for Telebit modems, and have received a number of
>different versions of a dial program for the Telebit.  And, I have
>exhaustingly tried manipulation of the VAX's Telebit S registers to
>match what's prescibed for the Xenix machine.)
>
>HELP?!?  Thank you.
>--
>UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
>INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org
>Tim Evans	2201 Brookhaven Ct, Fallston, MD 21047

Here's the entry from my L.sys for Ultrix (BSD?) to Xenix

cjbsys Any DIR 9600 ttyd2 "" P_ZERO "" ATZ "" ATDT4744608 ogin:-\r-ogin: xxxxxx assword xxxxxxx

In article <1813@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
| I am having trouble establishing a UUCP link from a VAX 11/750 to
| a 386 box running SCO Xenix 2.3.2--NOTE:  from VAX to Xenix box.
| No matter what communications speed I use, no matter what modem
| I use (from a simple Hayes-compatible 1200 baud to a Telebit),
| I can never get past the login prompt from the Xenix box.

  Old problem, simple solution. The BSD box is calling out with seven
bit data and parity, and the 386 doesn't catch it. The old getty (didn't
work with ungetty) did, the new one doesn't. The solution is in the
L.sys on the BSD machine, add P_ZERO (no parity) to the login script.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX