[comp.mail.uucp] MMDF on SCO ODT

rk@theep.boston.ma.us (Robert A. Kukura) (09/14/90)

In article <oowgP1w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

   I've also another question: We have a TCP/IP LAN set up using ODT-NET
   with two machines so far, but probably more on the way (and maybe a
   direct Internet connection coming sometime).  I'd like MMDF to use
   SMTP to deliver to machines on the network, but I don't want to have
   to make up a /usr/mmdf/table/smtp.chn file that includes every machine
   on the network.  I'd rather have it ask the nameserver (yes, there's
   one running) to translate the name into an IP address, and send it to
   our main gateway machine if the nameserver doesn't know about that
   domain name.  There doesn't appear to be a way to do this.  Is there?

SCO's port of MMDF does not contain nameserver support.  They did this
so that systems could be configured without TCP and still run MMDF.
SCO ships an old version of MMDF, but it does seem to have had the
option of being built with nameserver support.

A while back, I built update 43, but had lots of problems.  It did not
seem to be compatible with SCO's mail user agent.  It also would not
work with SCO's inetd.  I configured it with nameserver support, but
never got around to testing that.

Has anyone had better luck building the current version on ODT?

--
-Bob Kukura		internet: rk@theep.boston.ma.us
			uucp: spdcc!theep!rk

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep14.152302.27648@theep.boston.ma.us> rk@theep.boston.ma.us (Robert A. Kukura) writes:
>In article <oowgP1w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>SCO's port of MMDF does not contain nameserver support.  They did this
>so that systems could be configured without TCP and still run MMDF.
>SCO ships an old version of MMDF, but it does seem to have had the
>option of being built with nameserver support.

This should have been doable.

The nameserver support in an MMDF binary is only triggered when
flags=ns is specified on a table.  Now.. what wouldn't work is if
the TCP routines are in a sharable library (they probably are) that
MMDF would have to link up with at run-time.

>A while back, I built update 43, but had lots of problems.  It did not
>seem to be compatible with SCO's mail user agent.  It also would not
>work with SCO's inetd.  I configured it with nameserver support, but
>never got around to testing that.

There was no change in the protocol used to talk between User Agents
and submit between update 32 & 43.  You should have been able to run
their user agents with your update 43 binaries.

The `inetd' version of MMDF's SMTP daemon expects that inetd will
do all the stuff of making the TCP socket, *AND* will make the socket
appear on stdin and stdout.  It also expects to be able to do
a getpeername() on that socket so that it can check the IP address
of the other end so that it could possibly do some consistency
checking on the other end of the connection.

Have you looked at the `smtpd' program?  It does inetd-like things
to start up smtpsrvr for you..

>Has anyone had better luck building the current version on ODT?

I've never tried..  but have heard of some people who have done it
successfully

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>