[comp.mail.uucp] how to configure routing

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (09/19/90)

I've just set up a new uucp site, and want to learn how to configure
mail routing.  I'm running Sysvr3 (Esix) on an 80386 system.  What
I want to be able to do is this:

My system name is unixland. (unixland.uucp)
My mailhost is 'world.std.com'.

- Using /bin/mail, /bin/mailx, etc, send mail to any site using the
  '@' notation that I can use from systems like 'world' and at work.

- make mail and mailx use sendmail;  I have elm using sendmail, but
  not everyone that uses my system will want to use elm (and I don't
  always want to myself)

- When I get inbound mail, it has From: addresses that look something
  like this:  world.std.com!someuser@some.domain
  I should be able to REPLY to thse - right now I have to use elm
  and manually chop off the .std.com part.

- When I send mail to other systems, the From: address they see
  looks something like unixland!user@UUNET.UU.NET.  That apparently is
  because lots of my mail routes thru there.  In order for pepole to
  be able to reply to me (so that it works) and so that it has the
  lowest cost for me and my mailhost, the return address SHOULD look
  somehting like this:  user%unixland.uucp@world.std.com.

- When I send outboudn mail, it should automatically forward any
  non-local (anything not destined for a user locally on unixland) to
  world to be resolved.  If I manually address things as
  world!user@some.domain, it works usually (but sometimes says
  some.domain, unknown system).  I should be able to say
  user@some.domain, and have it be smart enough to know that it MUST
  route thru world to get there.

I guess this will be more complicated when/if I get additional mailhosts.
But for now, this is it, so it shouldn't be TOO complicated (should it?)
Should I be using 'smail'?  How about that program that deals with
comp.mail.maps (forget the name)??

Thanks in advance for your ideas on how to set this up.

Bill

--
Work:    heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
	 {decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser

In article <2473@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>I've just set up a new uucp site, and want to learn how to configure
>mail routing.  I'm running Sysvr3 (Esix) on an 80386 system.  What
>I want to be able to do is this:

>My system name is unixland. (unixland.uucp)
>My mailhost is 'world.std.com'.

>- Using /bin/mail, /bin/mailx, etc, send mail to any site using the
>  '@' notation that I can use from systems like 'world' and at work.

You have several choices - the most common is probably smail 2.5.  If
you have TCP/IP network connections you would use it in combination
with sendmail.  Smail 3.1 is a very different program that can completely
replace sendmail and also deal nicely with uucp.  In either case you
can set up your own "paths" file or just use a neighbor as a "smart-host"
and let them do the routing for you.

>- make mail and mailx use sendmail;  I have elm using sendmail, but
>  not everyone that uses my system will want to use elm (and I don't
>  always want to myself)

Under SysV, the smail program is usually installed as /bin/rmail and
/bin/mail is a little front end that decides whether to run smail
to send mail or the old bin/mail (now renamed) to read mail.  This
makes all the other programs use the new method automatically.

>- When I get inbound mail, it has From: addresses that look something
>  like this:  world.std.com!someuser@some.domain
>  I should be able to REPLY to thse - right now I have to use elm
>  and manually chop off the .std.com part.

That is an exceptionally ugly thing that world.std.com is doing. You
should try to get them to stop munging the headers when you are
prepared to handle the user@domain syntax.

>- When I send mail to other systems, the From: address they see
>  looks something like unixland!user@UUNET.UU.NET.  That apparently is
>  because lots of my mail routes thru there.  In order for pepole to
>  be able to reply to me (so that it works) and so that it has the
>  lowest cost for me and my mailhost, the return address SHOULD look
>  somehting like this:  user%unixland.uucp@world.std.com.

Better yet, get your own name registered or if you have some relationship
with word.std.com or its parent domain perhaps they can add you in as
a subdomain.  Anyway the From: address should contain whatever you
put there, modulo any munging by your neighbors.  Also, the From: address
generated by uunet (which means you didn't put one in or it was unusable)
should work for replies if you have submitted a uucp map entry for unixland.
Unfortunately, mixed mode (! and @) addresses rarely work if they are
passed from the internet back to uucp sites.  Either they are munged
by intermediate sites prepending their uucp names or the replying
uucp site interprets the  !-path portion first (the correct thing for
a uucp site to do IMHO, or at least for a program named rmail...).

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us