[comp.mail.uucp] Map submissions seem to be ignored... Help?

baxter@xmws (09/22/90)

I'm submitting this out of "desparation".  I know it may not be the right
place but I can't think of a better place....

Numerous times now I have submitted my map entry to
uucpmap@rutgers.edu and rutgers!uucpmap as suggested in the
readme file, (most recent date = september-9, 1990)

It is never acknowledged, and it Never shows up in the PA maps!!!

I have sent mail postmaster@rutgers asking what is wrong... NADA!

What am I doing wrong????  Is there something grossly wrong (that I cann't)
see in my map entry???

Thanks to any who care to shed some light on this...

Lincoln Baxter
{uunet!}cbmvax!xmws!baxter

Map entry follows

#N  xmws
#S  DEC VAXStation 3100; VMS V5.3-1
#O  XMWS Associates
#C  Lincoln A. Baxter
#E  xmws!postmaster
#T  +1 215 935 2711
#P  149 Silver Springs Rd Phoenixville, PA 19460
#L  40 8 30 N / 75 33 00 W
#R  Running DECUS uucp V1.2 (send mail to jeh@dcs.simpact.com for details)
#R  and ANU News 5.9C
#U  cbmvax
#W  xmws!baxter (Lincoln Baxter) Thurs Sun August 30  15:00:00 EDT 1990
#
xmws cbmvax(DEMAND), wings(DEMAND)

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (09/23/90)

baxter@xmws writes:

> Numerous times now I have submitted my map entry to
> uucpmap@rutgers.edu and rutgers!uucpmap as suggested in the
> readme file, (most recent date = september-9, 1990)

> It is never acknowledged, and it Never shows up in the PA maps!!!

Look at your usa.pa.1 map and see who the co-ordinator for your area
is.  Deal directly with that person for your original map entry; changes
to the original entry could go directly to uucpmap@rutgers.edu.  This
is a volunteer effort and it may take a while to get through the mill.

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (09/24/90)

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) writes:
>baxter@xmws writes:
>[maps fall into a big Bit Bucket]
>> It is never acknowledged, and it Never shows up in the PA maps!!!

>Look at your usa.pa.1 map and see who the co-ordinator for your area
>is.  Deal directly with that person for your original map entry; changes
>to the original entry could go directly to uucpmap@rutgers.edu.  This
>is a volunteer effort and it may take a while to get through the mill.

It is not a volunteer effort Everywhere!  I'm working with a group of people
in the Netherlands who want to be on the net, but don't want to pay NLnet's
rates (about $150/MB compared to $20 for a telebit call to the US).  For
them to be listed in the UUCP maps by the people who maintain u.nld.* will
suppsedly cost something like $1,000 a year.  The u.nld.* maps are
maintained by the NLUUG.

We tried submitting a map to uucpmap@rutgers, and have heard the same sounds
of silence.

Any suggestions about what to do?

--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

bruce@segue.segue.com (Bruce Adler) (09/25/90)

In article <5976@plains.NoDak.edu> overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) writes:
>It is not a volunteer effort Everywhere!  ...
>...to be listed in the UUCP maps by the people who maintain u.nld.* will
>suppsedly cost something like $1,000 a year.
>
>Any suggestions about what to do?

Start your own volunteer effort.  I can't imagine anybody would object
if you provide the same level of service but do it for free.  If they do
object I'd like to know where I can apply for the USA map franchise.
Let's see at $1000 per site...
--
bruce@segue.com, ism.isc.com!segue!bruce, aero.org!segue!bruce