[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP Activity & Data files

haliosm@cyprus.INGR.COM (Michael Halios) (09/21/90)

When a user sends mail, two data files are created - one containing the
text of the mail message, the other containing the instructions for
execution of rmail on the remote system.

When a user sends a copy of his original message, four data files are
created.

The text of the mail message is send to the central communication point
two times. NOT necessary to send the text file two times.

Think of a mail message of 30 pages mailed to one site with a long cc
list of peoble on the same site. Can't rmail take care the long cc list
with one execution ?

If the uucp connection is a dial up Modem, Money and time can be saved.
The must be a way to make this more efficient.

I appreciate any comments or ideas.

lenoirjw@infonode.ingr.com (Billy Lenoir) (09/22/90)

In article <1288@cyprus.INGR.COM> haliosm@cyprus.INGR.COM (Michael Halios) writes:
[Some discussion deleted]
> Think of a mail message of 30 pages mailed to one site with a long cc
> list of peoble on the same site. Can't rmail take care the long cc list
> with one execution ?
>
> If the uucp connection is a dial up Modem, Money and time can be saved.
> The must be a way to make this more efficient.
>
> I appreciate any comments or ideas.

Aliases or forwarding (i.e. mailing lists) can help resolve this problem.
If the document or group of documents are sent to the same people
often, you can send this list to a dummy address that's only function
is to forward mail.

example:  many people get a copy of a very large TR/CR report on a
          regular basis.  If this was mailed to an account on cyprus
          called trcr, and the mail file /usr/mail/trcr contained the
          following info it would route the message correctly:

          Forward to haliosm me you is3005!someone

          The system cyprus would forward the one mail message sent
          to cyprus to users haliosm, me, you, is3005!someone.

Sendmail would handle this even better.  You just add an entry to the
/usr/lib/aliases file for trcr, and you don't even need the account.
Sendmail takes care of forwarding the mail.

IMHO, many of the large mailings that are done currently should
consider using this method of routing mail to remote sites.  It allows
the remote sites some control over who sees the report, without contacting
the originator and it cuts down on the mail volume over dialup links.

Isn't this the method used by the WISE system?

--
   One Day my .sig    Billy Lenoir
    will come in.     b10!lenoir!lenoirjw (INGR)

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (09/22/90)

[In article <1288@cyprus.INGR.COM>,
     haliosm@cyprus.INGR.COM (Michael Halios) writes ... ]

> When a user sends mail, two data files are created - one containing the
> text of the mail message, the other containing the instructions for
> execution of rmail on the remote system.
>
> When a user sends a copy of his original message, four data files are
> created.
>
> The text of the mail message is send to the central communication point
> two times. NOT necessary to send the text file two times.

Right.

On my system -- Atari ST, Smail 2.5 ported from *nix, locally developed
user interface -- a single message sent to multiple recipients through
a single host will travel as two data files. The X file will contain
multiple arguments to rmail on the remote host.

I have no direct experience with Smail on a Unix system, but I presume
that it would invoke uux host!rnews in a similar fashion:

 (1) The user agent invokes /bin/mail, feeding it a mail message
     on standard input and passing the destination address(es) as
     argument(s).

 (2) /bin/mail determines that the address(es) is (are) non-local,
     and invokes uux with host!rmail as an argument, followed by
     one or more addresses (in bang-path format).

 (3) /bin/uux creates two data files. The D file contains the message,
     the X file contains instructions to be executed on the remote
     host. If there are multiple recipients, rmail on the remote host
     will be passed multiple arguments. Also, uux creates a local
     command file (C file) to instruct uucico to copy the X and D
     files to the remote host.

If your user agent (was it elm?) insists on invoking /bin/mail
nine times for nine recipients, then yes, there are going to be
nine D files, nine X files and nine C files, regardless of whether
/bin/mail could have handled it more efficiently.
 --
 Steve Yelvington up at the lake in Minnesota
 (moving soon to Marine on St. Croix)

> > Think of a mail message of 30 pages mailed to one site with a long cc
> > list of peoble on the same site. Can't rmail take care the long cc list
> > with one execution ?

SMAIL 2 (the real smail, as opposed to SMAIL 3 which is really GNU sendmail)
does this. I don't know if SMAIL 3 does it as well, but I wouldn't be
surprised.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

In article <R.+5I6D@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> > Think of a mail message of 30 pages mailed to one site with a long cc
>> > list of peoble on the same site. Can't rmail take care the long cc list
>> > with one execution ?
>
>SMAIL 2 (the real smail, as opposed to SMAIL 3 which is really GNU sendmail)
>does this. I don't know if SMAIL 3 does it as well, but I wouldn't be
>surprised.

 This discussion has been going on for several days, but I have seen no
comment yet about why this happens in 'sendmail' systems.  It is time to
add one:

  In a sendmail based system, this behavior is controlled by the 'm' flag
in the mailer definition.  Look for the mailer definition in a line
beginning 'M' in 'sendmail.cf'.  There is a string of flags F=xxxx.
If 'm' is one of the flags, 'sendmail' will transmit to multiple recipients
in one operation.  If 'm' is absent, it will not.

  If you look at your mailer definitions, you will probably see that most
already have the 'm' flag.  Normally the UUCP mailer does not.  This is
because some versions of 'rmail' cannot handle multiple recipients.

  Check with all your UUCP neighbors.  See if they can handle multiple
recipients.  To be safe run some tests.  If all UUCP neighbors can handle
it, just add the 'm' flag.  But remember to check the next time a UUCP
neighbor is added.
  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940

In article <R.+5I6D@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> > Think of a mail message of 30 pages mailed to one site with a long cc
>> > list of peoble on the same site. Can't rmail take care the long cc list
>> > with one execution ?
>
>SMAIL 2 (the real smail, as opposed to SMAIL 3 which is really GNU sendmail)
>does this. I don't know if SMAIL 3 does it as well, but I wouldn't be
>surprised.

Smail 3 lets you configure the maximum number of addresses to be expanded per
invocation of the underlying command.  The default configuration has the uux
to remote rmail set for a maximum of 5 addresses.  This should work with
everything except 4.1 BSD and some SCO Xenix versions.  There is also a
setup to generate bsmtp where any number of recpients can be specified in
the smtp header of a single message, and an optional mode to batch the
bsmtp messages to a host, compressing if desired.  The bsmtp modes obviously
require smail 3 on the remote side also, and batching messages doesn't help
unless you are willing to delay transmission to allow several to accumulate
for the same host.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (09/27/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>SMAIL 2 (the real smail, as opposed to SMAIL 3 which is really GNU sendmail)

No, it's not.

>does this. I don't know if SMAIL 3 does it as well, but I wouldn't be
>surprised.

It's configurable on a per-transport basis.

Most versions of post-seventh edition /bin/mail will recognize multiple
copies going to the same site and only send one copy of the actual
message contents. It sounds to me like the original posters copy of
elm might not be configured correctly.

Decisions about how many copies of a message to send, where to send them,
and how to send them, isn't really any of elm's business. All of this should
be left to the underlying MTA.

--
    Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
        {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

      The only thing open about OSF is their mouth.  --Chuck Musciano