[comp.mail.uucp] HELP me interpret wierd mailer msg

dawn@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Dawn Owens) (09/29/90)

Please, I hope someone can tell me what this means.

I sent a note once to avery@netcom.UUCP, and I received a
reply, so I know that he got the note.

Then I sent him another note, same address, and this is
what I received:

>From uiucuxc!iuvax!pyramid!pyrtech.pyramid.com!UUCP Fri Sep 28 23:48:18 1990
>Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 21:17:49 -0700
>From: uucp@pyrtech.pyramid.com
>To: uiucux1!dawn
>Subject: uuxqt cmd (rmail pyramid!claris!netcom!avery ) status (DENIED)

What does this mean? I have tried it twice more with the same result.  Am
I doing something wrong?  The address I use is avery@netcom.UUCP.

Thanks in advance,
-Dawn    <dawn@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

In article <1990Sep29.144431.4121@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawn@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Dawn Owens) writes:
>Please, I hope someone can tell me what this means.
>
>>From uiucuxc!iuvax!pyramid!pyrtech.pyramid.com!UUCP Fri Sep 28 23:48:18 1990
>>Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 21:17:49 -0700
>>From: uucp@pyrtech.pyramid.com
>>To: uiucux1!dawn
>>Subject: uuxqt cmd (rmail pyramid!claris!netcom!avery ) status (DENIED)

 It means that someone has their configuration messed up.

 I am guessing somewhat, since you didn't include the 'Received:' lines
which are usually quite informative in these cases.

 If, as I guess, pyramid.UUCP is the same as pyrtech.pyramid.com, then I
see the following problems:

  1.  The rmail command should really be "rmail claris!netcom!avery".
      In other words, the 'pyramid' should have been removed.  If so
      this is presumably the fault of whichever host passed the mail
      to pyramid, probably iuvax.

  2.  Even so, pyramid should recognize its own address.  If pyramid
      is using a standard rmail/sendmail configuration, it should be
      passing the mail to sendmail, and the error message should come
      from their rather than from uuxqt.  Actually the uuxqt message
      almost suggests an incorrect setting in the uucp spooling directories
      which prevents execution of rmail.

 If the problem is a pyramid, then you probably can't get email to them
to complain, either.  There is always that alternative electronic
communication system run by Ma Bell.
  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940