[comp.mail.uucp] problem with inbound anonymous uucp sessions

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (10/03/90)

I'm having trouble setting up anonymous uucp connections to my
Esis system.  The symptoms are as follows:  The remote system
connects, enters the username 'uucp', and gets immediately
disconnected.  One time the remote system got the message
"system does not know me" or something along those lines.

I currently have no password on the nuucp account.  When there was a
password, no systems were able to get in.  Now there is one system that
can, but others can't.  This doesnt' seem to make any sense...

What else can I check to find out why the connections are being
dropped?

Thanks in advance!

Excerpt from Permissions file:

# cd /usr/lib/uucp
# more Permissions
#ident  "@(#)uucp:Permissions   1.4"
# This entry for public login.
# It provides the default permissions.
#LOGNAME=nuucp \
#MACHINE=OTHER \
#READ=/usr/spool/uucppublic \
#WRITE=/usr/spool/uucppublic \
#SENDFILES=call REQUEST=no \
#COMMANDS=/bin/rmail

LOGNAME=nuucp \
MACHINE=OTHER \
READ=/usr/spool/uucppublic:/sources \
WRITE=/usr/spool/uucppublic \
SENDFILES=call REQUEST=yes \
COMMANDS=/bin/rmail:rmail

Other stuff:

# grep uucp /etc/passwd
uucp:x:5:5:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/lib/uucp:
nuucp:x:10:10:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico
#

# ls -l /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
---s--x--x   1 uucp     daemon     93834 Jun  7 00:01 /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
#

--
Work:    heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
	 {decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser

In article <2658@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:

| I currently have no password on the nuucp account.  When there was a
| password, no systems were able to get in.  Now there is one system that
| can, but others can't.  This doesnt' seem to make any sense...

| # grep uucp /etc/passwd
| uucp:x:5:5:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/lib/uucp:
| nuucp:x:10:10:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico
| #
|
| # ls -l /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
| ---s--x--x   1 uucp     daemon     93834 Jun  7 00:01 /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
| #

  Looks to me as though nuucp is "no login" now. That's what the :x: (or
any other one character) does. If you change that to :: you will have a
start at it.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (10/04/90)

"chmod -x /usr/lib/uucp/remote.unknown" and your problem will go away.

It's even documented somewhere in the mass of manuals you've probably
got.

--karl

ggw%wolves@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) (10/04/90)

In <2719@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM
(Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <2658@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>
>| I currently have no password on the nuucp account.  When there was a
>| password, no systems were able to get in.  Now there is one system that
>| can, but others can't.  This doesnt' seem to make any sense...
>
>| # grep uucp /etc/passwd
>| uucp:x:5:5:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/lib/uucp:
>| nuucp:x:10:10:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico
>| #
>|
>| # ls -l /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
>| ---s--x--x   1 uucp     daemon     93834 Jun  7 00:01 /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
>| #
>
>  Looks to me as though nuucp is "no login" now. That's what the :x: (or
>any other one character) does. If you change that to :: you will have a
>start at it.

Good try, but Esix is a SVr3.2 derivative and has the "shadow" system by
default.  Check in the /etc/shadow file to be sure there is no password
for the nuucp login.

The other thing to check for with BNU/HDB uucp's is that the program
in /usr/lib/uucp/remote.unknown is made unavailable!  As long as uucp
can exec the remote.unknown program, you will be unable to get anon uucp
to work.  On my ISC2.0.2 I renamed it to rem.unk so that it was still
there when I wanted to disable the anon uucp here at wolves.

--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

john@karnak.uucp (John B. Meaders Jr.) (10/04/90)

In article <2719@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <2658@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>
>| I currently have no password on the nuucp account.  When there was a
>| password, no systems were able to get in.  Now there is one system that
>| can, but others can't.  This doesnt' seem to make any sense...
>
>| # grep uucp /etc/passwd
>| uucp:x:5:5:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/lib/uucp:
>| nuucp:x:10:10:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico
>
>  Looks to me as though nuucp is "no login" now. That's what the :x: (or
>any other one character) does. If you change that to :: you will have a
>start at it.

Esix has /etc/shadow.  The x does not mean no login.  NONE in /etc/shadow
means no login.  You might look at /etc/shadow.  For login it should look
something like this:

system::7576::
   the encrypted password goes after the first colon (the system does this),
   the number is when this entry was created (perhaps last updated too), a
   number goes after the 3rd colon and also the 4th colon.  The 3rd number is
   the minimum number of days required between password changes, and the 4th
   number is the maximum number of days the password is valid.  Esix sets
   these to 14 and 28 respectively when you create the password.  I change
   the uucp logins to larger numbers so that I don't have to worry about
   having passwords expire before I am ready for them too.

Hope this helps.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.
510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23806

In article <1990Oct4.031429.13960@wolves.uucp> ggw%wolves@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:

| Good try, but Esix is a SVr3.2 derivative and has the "shadow" system by
| default.  Check in the /etc/shadow file to be sure there is no password
| for the nuucp login.

  A useful fact the original poster left out... but many people have
told me by mail.

  Other than remote.unknown which others have pointed out, look for a
missing \ on any line of any entry in the Permissions file. I found this
a few months ago, and the error was in a system description far from the
system having problems (ie. the error didn't show up in the next system,
but 3-4 systems down the file).
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

seg@ingres.com (scott e garfinkle) (10/04/90)

In article <2719@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <2658@sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:
>
>| I currently have no password on the nuucp account.  When there was a
>| password, no systems were able to get in.  Now there is one system that
>| can, but others can't.  This doesnt' seem to make any sense...
>
>| # grep uucp /etc/passwd
>| uucp:x:5:5:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/lib/uucp:
>| nuucp:x:10:10:0000-uucp(0000):/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico
>
>  Looks to me as though nuucp is "no login" now. That's what the :x: (or
>any other one character) does. If you change that to :: you will have a
>start at it.

Nah, I don't think so.  In Esix, as most SVR3.2 systems, I think, login has
SHADOW turned on and the password (and aging) is stored in /etc/shadow.
Anyway if at least one system can get in on the nuucp account,
then the problem will lie in the ~uucp/Permissions file.
	-scott e. garfinkle