[comp.mail.uucp] Need help with L.sys entry

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (10/15/90)

I am trying to get uucp set up to call a mail-forwarder machine.  The problem
is that my uucp package (Mac/gnuucp) has documentation on how to get the
program to login with a direct-connect, but not a multi-level connect.

What I mean is my directions tell me what to put in L.sys if the expected
sequence of characters incoming from the modem is

CONNECT 2400
login:

My situation is that I have to CONNECT, then choose a machine, then i get
the login prompt.  The conversation would look like below, where what my
uucp needs to type is delimited by "=" characters (and an implied return
at the end ...)

CONNECT 2400
Local>>=connect alamo=
  Connecting ...  (113.89.4.1 7.13) Success.
alamo login: =uucp=
Password:=uucp_password=

So, eventually I DO need to look for the login prompt, but first I need to
find Local>>, then select the machine, then look for login:, then give the
login name and password.

Will someone tell me how to do this or send some documentation, or tell me
where i can ftp the documentation?

				Thanks,

					Jeff

rbv@cypress.UUCP (Roger Vanderveen) (10/16/90)

In article <64583@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:

  >My situation is that I have to CONNECT, then choose a machine, then i get
  >the login prompt.  The conversation would look like below, where what my
  >uucp needs to type is delimited by "=" characters (and an implied return
  >at the end ...)
  >
  >CONNECT 2400
  >Local>>=connect alamo=
  >  Connecting ...  (113.89.4.1 7.13) Success.
  >alamo login: =uucp=
  >Password:=uucp_password=
  >
  >Will someone tell me how to do this or send some documentation, or tell me
  >where i can ftp the documentation?

Doesn't look too tough.  How about:

	Local>> connect\ alamo login: uucp word: uucp_password

The \ quotes the space so that 'connect alamo' is one string.  Then just wait
for 'login:'.
Roger Vanderveen                                    rbv@cypress.UUCP or
San Jose, CA USA                                    rbv%cypress@daver.bungi.com

haug@almira.uucp (Brian R Haug) (10/17/90)

In article <546@cypress.UUCP> rbv@cypress.UUCP (Roger Vanderveen) writes:
>In article <64583@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:
[ problem with the send-expect sequence pairs in L.sys file which must
contain a space]
>Doesn't look too tough.  How about:
>	Local>> connect\ alamo login: uucp word: uucp_password
>The \ quotes the space so that 'connect alamo' is one string.  Then just wait
>for 'login:'.

I had to deal with this recently, I don't know of any formal documentation.
After experimenting with quoting using \, which didn't work, enclosing the
string in double quotes ("), which didn't work, I hit upon a solution which
I believe to be portable (at least for ASCII machines) which is to use the
octal escape sequence \020 which is the code for a space.

And hopefully inews is happy about quoted text.

rbv@cypress.UUCP (Roger Vanderveen) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.005926.10052@almira.uucp> haug@Columbia.NCR.COM (Brian Haug) writes:

>I believe to be portable (at least for ASCII machines) which is to use the
>octal escape sequence \020 which is the code for a space.

020 is the hex code for space; octal would be 040.  020 is the octal code for
^P, which would give unpredictable results.
Roger Vanderveen                                    rbv@cypress.UUCP or
San Jose, CA USA                                    rbv%cypress@daver.bungi.com

greg@cheers.Bungi.COM (Greg Onufer) (10/19/90)

[[ Concerning embedded spaces in chat scripts ]]
>I had to deal with this recently, I don't know of any formal documentation.

The S5R4 BNU UUCP, as documented in the Prentice-Hall books, states
that "\s" represents a space.  This claim is also made in prior
versions of the Systems Admin Guide (System V/386 version, to be
exact).  I'm not sure if Berkeley UUCP (or older Sun UUCP) supports
this or not.

Cheers!greg