[comp.mail.uucp] FSUUCP to VMS DECUS uucp initalization problem

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar's Carbonated Hormones) (10/15/90)

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) recently informed us:
>I tried the "-h" option of CALLOUT ("ignore host name") but, that only
>got the process one step farther before it stopped.

Which step, specifically, and what are the conditions of it stopping?

--
++Christopher(); --- cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu --- chris@erotica.fubarsys.com
---

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (10/15/90)

I have a problem connecting a FSUUCP version 1.1 (Release 5) host to a VMS
host running DECUS uucp version 1.1.  The MS-DOS machine is calling the
VMS host.  The problem happens when they first get connected.

Apparently, the VMS slave is sending "Shere", but the MS-DOS master is
looking for "Shere=hostname".  The VMS documentation seems to say that
either "Shere" or "Shere=hostname" is acceptable (page F-13 of DECUS uucp
documentation).  But, MS-DOS wants "Shere=hostname" (in the "Error Messages"
section).

I tried the "-h" option of CALLOUT ("ignore host name") but, that only
got the process one step farther before it stopped.

Has anyone been able to connect to a VMS host using FSUUCP?  Or another
MS-DOS version of UUCP?

Peter
--
Peter Murray	                         176 Thompson Hall, Oxford, Ohio  45056
ACS Consultant                        pemurray@miavx1.[bitnet | acs.muohio.edu]

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (10/16/90)

In article <2718d438.1ed8@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar's Carbonated Hormones) writes:
> pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) recently informed us:
>>I tried the "-h" option of CALLOUT ("ignore host name") but, that only
>>got the process one step farther before it stopped.
>
> Which step, specifically, and what are the conditions of it stopping?

About as specific as I can get is what the screen says on the FSUUCP
program and the debug log under DECUS uucp.

First, the command to initiate the connection was:

          CALLOUT -X9 -H muun

The FSUUCP screen looks something like...

FSUUCP Version 1.1  Release 5

    System:  muun
    Action:  Start communication
 [... blank fields ...]

--Messages---
  STARTUP: Host ASSUMED as muun
  FSUUCP: calling [muun], debug [9]

--Debug--
  STARTUP: sending [Sbigblu]
  1st msg = [Shere]

The debug log on the DECUS uucp system looks like...

p:uucp    h:-       [10/15-20:36:20-22a00244]  STARTUP         (Version
simpact-
1.31) u:BIGBLU
p:uucp -< h:-       [10/15-20:36:20-22a00244]   Incoming       (_LTA49: 2400
bps
) u:BIGBLU
Sending: 0x10 S h e r e 0x00

Reading null-term str (getstring), rcvd: 0x00
p:uucp -< h:-       [10/15-20:36:21-22a00244] * No Shostname rcvd () u:BIGBLU
p:uucp -< h:-       [10/15-20:36:21-22a00244] * Inc failed     (see prev msg)
u:
BIGBLU
p:uucp -< h:-       [10/15-20:36:21-22a00244]   Dropping DTR   () u:BIGBLU
p:uucp -< h:-       [10/15-20:36:27-22a00244]  Exiting         (Version
simpact-
1.31) u:-

(Sorry about the wrapped lines.  It's in the log file.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

j_prigot@wrglex.uucp (10/22/90)

In article <2590.271890d8@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
> I have a problem connecting a FSUUCP version 1.1 (Release 5) host to a VMS
> host running DECUS uucp version 1.1.  The MS-DOS machine is calling the
> VMS host.  The problem happens when they first get connected.
>
> Apparently, the VMS slave is sending "Shere", but the MS-DOS master is
> looking for "Shere=hostname".  The VMS documentation seems to say that
> either "Shere" or "Shere=hostname" is acceptable (page F-13 of DECUS uucp
> documentation).  But, MS-DOS wants "Shere=hostname" (in the "Error Messages"
> section).

	[Stuff deleted]

Probably the best fix all around is to convince your DECUS uucp site to
upgrade to V1.2. This situation has been "fixed" in that release, along with a
number of other improvements.

--
Jonathan M. Prigot      j_prigot@wrglex or ...!drilex!wrglex!j_prigot

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar's Carbonated Hormones) (10/23/90)

j_prigot@wrglex.uucp recently informed us:
>In article <2590.271890d8@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
>> I have a problem connecting a FSUUCP version 1.1 (Release 5) host to a VMS
>> host running DECUS uucp version 1.1.  The MS-DOS machine is calling the
>> VMS host.  The problem happens when they first get connected.
>>
>> Apparently, the VMS slave is sending "Shere", but the MS-DOS master is
>> looking for "Shere=hostname".  The VMS documentation seems to say that
>> either "Shere" or "Shere=hostname" is acceptable (page F-13 of DECUS uucp
>> documentation).  But, MS-DOS wants "Shere=hostname" (in the "Error Messages"
>> section).
>>
>	[Stuff deleted]
>
>Probably the best fix all around is to convince your DECUS uucp site to
>upgrade to V1.2. This situation has been "fixed" in that release, along with a
>number of other improvements.

I'd appreciate it if someone from the DECUS side could send me information on
this "problem" and the "fix" so that I might make FSUUCP more compatible with
older versions. Sounds like it could be fixed with just a switch.