[comp.mail.uucp] alternatives to rmail format for batched UUCP mail transfer

fair@apple.com (Erik E. Fair) (11/01/90)

Problem statement: we have a few UUCP neighbors who do lots of E-mail
with us - in the many megabytes per day range, with the usual small
average message size. This makes for a lot of UUCP transaction overhead
to move the E-mail. It was exactly this sort of thing that led to
netnews batching seven years ago.

This is also bad for trailblazer sites - those modems do best when you
give them lots of data to move, not when UUCP is negotiating over
filenames. A batched E-mail transfer protocol would also allow people
with trailblazer modems to make much better use of them, and their host
computers.

One especially promising avenue of research in this area is BSMTP
(Batched SMTP), particularly because the old (bad) UUCP header hacking
rules would not apply; you'd use Internet rules instead, and hide UUCP
ugliness in the envelope. This would be a real boon for sites with
domain names (a lot of you, these days). The BITNET uses BSMTP to good
effect in parts of their network, but I've never been able to find a
formal specification for BSMTP. And it's not the only thing we could
do.

However, as usual, I don't want to implement something if there's
something already out there, so I'm looking for E-mail batching
solutions that other people have implemented and are using in
production. But if there isn't *anything*, I guess I'll have to
implement...

Thoughts? Ideas? Discussion? Post away, or E-mail me, if you feel that
to be more appropriate.

	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com

In article <46192@apple.Apple.COM> fair@apple.com (Erik E. Fair) writes:

>Problem statement: we have a few UUCP neighbors who do lots of E-mail
>with us - in the many megabytes per day range, with the usual small
>average message size.
[...]
>One especially promising avenue of research in this area is BSMTP
>(Batched SMTP), particularly because the old (bad) UUCP header hacking
>rules would not apply; you'd use Internet rules instead, and hide UUCP
>ugliness in the envelope.

Smail 3.1 has a setup to do BSMTP over uucp.  Basically is is just a
configuration option that writes SMTP output to files without the HELO
line.  Then you run a shell script periodically to add the HELO and
all the messages and pipe through compress and uux to the remote site.
You can use either the uucp or SMTP addressing forms - the receiving
smail will treat them identically anyway.  There's also an unbatched
SMTP over uucp that would still take 2 files per message but allows
unlimited recipients of a single copy, which would be good for anyone
running a list exploder.  Batching would be a real win for anyone
using PEP modems though - it should eliminate the line-turnaround
time for all those X files.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

hunter@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (James Gardiner [hunter]) (11/06/90)

Where can I ftp the latest version of smail?
Also, is uumail similar to smail?
which is better? why?

Hunter
--
James Gardiner.  System Admin, Public Access UNIX Melbourne, Australia
DON'T TRUST THE MAIL HEADER! Use the path OR the following :