[comp.mail.uucp] Overseas UUCP

bill@platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (11/07/90)

Is it possible to set up a UUCP link between a machine in the US and
another in GB using TELEBIT Trailblazers??  Is it legal (on the GB side)?
Is the quality of International Dialups good enough for it to work
reliably??

I may have a reason to do this soon.  Sure would be nice it it is possible.

--

     Bill Gunshannon          |        If this statement wasn't here,
     bill@platypus.uofs.edu   |  This space would be left intentionally blank

nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) (11/07/90)

In article <148@platypus.uofs.edu> bill@platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>Is it possible to set up a UUCP link between a machine in the US and
>another in GB using TELEBIT Trailblazers??  Is it legal (on the GB side)?
>Is the quality of International Dialups good enough for it to work
>reliably??

Indeed its possible, and it works well. Telebits are legal in the UK, and
even have offices in London, I believe.

Nick.
--
Nick Pemberton  		 uucp: !{lsuc, uunet!mnetor}!aimed!nick
AIM, Inc			  bus: (416) 429-1085

chris@vision.UUCP (Chris Davies) (11/08/90)

In article <148@platypus.uofs.edu> bill@platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>Is it possible to set up a UUCP link between a machine in the US and
>another in GB using TELEBIT Trailblazers??  Is it legal (on the GB side)?
>Is the quality of International Dialups good enough for it to work
>reliably??

Yes, yes and yes.  We are not the only site to have transatlantic uucp
connections using trailblazers.  It works wonderfully - provided you remember
to munge the echo supression thing (S settings available upon request!).

To be completely legal and above board, the UK site should be using the UK
version of a trailblazer;  it's the same as the US one except (a) the voltage
and (b) it will not redial a number that is engaged more than 10 times in 4
hours - highly irritating for frequently busy connections!

Chris
--
VISIONWARE LTD         | UK: chris@vision.uucp    JANET: chris%vision.uucp@ukc
57 Cardigan Lane       | US: chris@vware.mn.org   BANGNET: ...!ukc!vision!chris

j_prigot@wrglex.uucp (11/08/90)

In article <148@platypus.uofs.edu>, bill@platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
> Is it possible to set up a UUCP link between a machine in the US and
> another in GB using TELEBIT Trailblazers??  Is it legal (on the GB side)?
> Is the quality of International Dialups good enough for it to work
> reliably??
>
> I may have a reason to do this soon.  Sure would be nice it it is possible.
> --
>      Bill Gunshannon          |        If this statement wasn't here,
>      bill@platypus.uofs.edu   |  This space would be left intentionally blank

We do this to communicate with one of our plants in Germany. They rent the
modem from the post office there, so it is legal electronically. It sometimes
takes 3-5 tries to establish a connection, but it is definitely doable.

--
Jonathan M. Prigot      j_prigot@wrglex or ...!drilex!wrglex!j_prigot

das@trac2000.ueci.com (David Snyder) (11/09/90)

> In article <148@platypus.uofs.edu> bill@platypus.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
>Is it possible to set up a UUCP link between a machine in the US and
>another in GB using TELEBIT Trailblazers??  Is it legal (on the GB side)?
>Is the quality of International Dialups good enough for it to work
>reliably??

Not only is it possible, but we use a Telebit T2500 here in Philadelphia to
talk to our 'overseas office' in London.  The London office uses a Telebit
Trailblazer+.  Come the end of the year, we'll be talking to a T2500 at one
of our job sites in Saudi Arabia.

DAS
--
David Snyder @ UE&C - Catalytic in Philadelphia, PA