[comp.mail.uucp] Single site, multiple phone numbers

markd@iti.org (Mark Delany) (11/07/90)

I have a target site that can be called on a number of different phone
numbers.  Unfortunately these numbers are heavily used by others, so I
want to configure my system so that it tries each number in turn until
it gets a successful connection (as opposed to a busy, etc).

Once the connection (and transfers) have been made, I don't want the
cycle to continue on with the residual numbers (in other words, a
simplistic uusched styled script isn't really good enough).  Since the
expected traffic is inbound, the only sort of script I can think of is
one which places a dummy file in the queue, then schedules a called to
each number until the dummy file disappears.

Is there a better way of doing this? How? I would prefer a config file
solution if possible.

It's probably relevant top know that the calling system is SCO Xenix
running HoneyDanBer UUCP.

It seems to me that this may be FAQ/RTFM material.  Sorry if it is, I
have check.

------------         -----------------     --------------------
Mark Delany          markd@Aus.Sun.COM     ...!sun!sunaus!markd
------------         -----------------     --------------------

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/08/90)

markd@iti.org (Mark Delany) writes:

> I have a target site that can be called on a number of different phone
> numbers.

> It's probably relevant top know that the calling system is SCO Xenix
> running HoneyDanBer UUCP.

This version of UUCP supports multiple Systems lines, just have one
line per phone number, identical except for the phone number.  uucico
will try them in that order until it gets through.

My thanks to jpp@specialix.com for pointing this out to me all those months
ago.
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (11/10/90)

Since you say that you are using HDB, the answer *probably* (unless
the Xenix port is broken) that you should replicate the lines in your
Systems file for that site, each with a different phone number.  The
lines will be tried in turn until successful.  That is exactly what
sites calling my machine had to do until a few weeks ago, when I
reconfigured the phone lines to roll over to each other on busy/NA.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Give me voice mail or give me drugs!"/"Mandatory Drug Testing? Just Say NO!!!"