[comp.mail.uucp] Cache and triggers

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (11/08/90)

Hi !

    Ok, my UUCP wish list ...

    I am connected to UUNET for email, and I would like to have better
control over the link. I would like my machine to call UUNET under either of
two circumstances :

   1: The normal way , if a Poll entry and a Systems file let a poll happen,
      it runs.

   2: If more that "X" bytes or "X" jobs build up for UUNET , I want it to
      call anyway.

    Get the problem ??? I dont want mail to sit here all day , but if I say
Any for time I wind up with 30-40 1 job connects all day. If I dont , and
say , set the outgoing window so that it can only call certain times, then
if it cant connect during a "window" because the modem is busy , the mail
sits there ....

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
=Also the mantra and spells, the obeah and the wanga; the work of the wand=
=and the work of the sword: these shall he learn and teach.               =
=       He must teach; but he may make severe the ordeals.                =
=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
=    NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either         =
=    Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.          =
=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

In article <2738ea59-fcomp.mail.uucp@tronsbox.xei.com> tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) writes:

>    I am connected to UUNET for email, and I would like to have better
>control over the link. I would like my machine to call UUNET under either of
>two circumstances :

>   1: The normal way , if a Poll entry and a Systems file let a poll happen,
>      it runs.

>   2: If more that "X" bytes or "X" jobs build up for UUNET , I want it to
>      call anyway.

Smail 3.1 allows configuration options for which systems have the -r flag
(just queue, don't execute uucico) set in the uux command.  You could
probably hack something similar into smail 2.5 or write a little front-end
for uux that checks the destination host on the command line and adds
the -r before execing the real uux for uunet.
For item 2, you would just need a cron job that peeks in the spool directory
or runs uustat and starts up a uucico under the specified conditions - a
simple shell script should suffice (hmm... the uux front-end could be a
script as well).

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us