[comp.mail.uucp] An AKA for UUCP?

michael@fts.ocug.on.ca (Michael Richardson) (11/21/90)

  I have had for quite awhile an Amiga 2000 as my home UUCP machine. I
now have a Sun 3/60 as well as the Amiga. The Amiga was named 'julie'
and is now hard-wired to one of the Sun's ports. The modem (a telebit)
is connected to the SUN. The 3/60 is named 'latour' (because it
isn't, yet occupies all of one wall...)
  fts1 was my primary connection, and still is. I have changed
both fts1's maps to declare fts1!julie to be dead and added
information linking latour to julie and fts1 to julie. This works
find if _fts1_ reroutes the mail. If the mail is already routed,
then it winds up in /usr/spool/uucp/julie. Since fts1's login
on latour is IDENTICAL to that of julie (and I have Permissions
set up properly on both machines), I was hoping that fts1 would
simply dial up julie, (get latour) but deliver the mail anyway.
No such luck -- fts1 complains that it isn't talking to the right
machine.
  Moving the C.* and D.* files from /usr/spool/uucp/julie to
/usr/spool/uucp/latour (even renaming them to C.latouXXXX) doesn't
get them sent either.

  fts1 is running ISC 386/ix (2.0.2 --- HDB), and latour is running
SunOS 4.1 (HDB).

  I'm about to try dialing fts1 from latour with the 'uujulie' login,
but I doubt that is going to work.
  If I could convince latour to poll as 'julie' now and then, all
would be well. The thing is, I can't seem to figure out where the uname
is set. (I can change my 'hostname' whenever I want...) The only time
I entered it was during 'suninstall'

--
   :!mcr!:            |    The postmaster never          |  So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |            resolves twice.       |  so few cycles.

oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.193232.2672@fts.ocug.on.ca> michael@fts.ocug.on.ca (Michael Richardson) writes:

>  fts1 was my primary connection, and still is. I have changed
>both fts1's maps to declare fts1!julie to be dead and added
>information linking latour to julie and fts1 to julie. This works
>find if _fts1_ reroutes the mail. If the mail is already routed,
>then it winds up in /usr/spool/uucp/julie. Since fts1's login
>on latour is IDENTICAL to that of julie (and I have Permissions
>set up properly on both machines), I was hoping that fts1 would
>simply dial up julie, (get latour) but deliver the mail anyway.
>No such luck -- fts1 complains that it isn't talking to the right
>machine.
>  I'm about to try dialing fts1 from latour with the 'uujulie' login,
>but I doubt that is going to work.
>  If I could convince latour to poll as 'julie' now and then, all
>would be well. The thing is, I can't seem to figure out where the uname
>is set. (I can change my 'hostname' whenever I want...) The only time
>I entered it was during 'suninstall'

If you're running HDB, in the Permissions file on latour, add:

MACHINE=fts1 COMMANDS=rmail:rnews MYNAME=julie

During the uucico handshaking, latour will identify itself as
"julie".  If it's using julie's login, then there is no way
for fts1 to know it's not talking to julie.

Then you must poll fts1 from latour occasionally.  If this is a temporary
thing, and you want to be known as both "latour" and "julie" to fts1,
then you can change the MYNAME as needed.  This is not recommended as
a permanent solution.
--
Orlan Cannon                            oc@vmp.com
Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    (800) 627-4551

In article <1990Nov20.193232.2672@fts.ocug.on.ca> michael@fts.ocug.on.ca (Michael Richardson) writes:
>   fts1 is running ISC 386/ix (2.0.2 --- HDB), and latour is running
> SunOS 4.1 (HDB).

If it's really HDB, you're in luck.

>   If I could convince latour to poll as 'julie' now and then, all
> would be well.

In Permissions, do something like this (which is what I do to make bcm
think our modem server (ris1) is really ficc):

#
# Everyone else thinks I'm FICC
#
MACHINE=bcm \
READ=/usr/spool/uucppublic \
WRITE=/usr/spool/uucppublic \
SENDFILES=yes \
REQUEST=yes \
MYNAME=ficc \                     <-- the important line.
COMMANDS=/bin/rmail:/usr/bin/rnews
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`