[comp.mail.uucp] Help! How to send mail from Internet to UUCP

stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) (10/18/90)

Hello Networkers,
  How can I send a mail message from an Internet node to a user with
an UUCP mail address?  Help!!!  I want to send a mail message to
"Darek@microsoft.UUCP".  What should I type in the "To:" prompt?
Thanks in advance.

-Steve

 SteveLa@csulb.edu

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct18.012252.20861@beach.csulb.edu>
	stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) writes:
>Hello Networkers,
>  How can I send a mail message from an Internet node to a user with
>an UUCP mail address?  Help!!!  I want to send a mail message to
>"Darek@microsoft.UUCP".  What should I type in the "To:" prompt?
>Thanks in advance.

Try the address "Darek%microsoft.UUCP@uunet.uu.net" -- that should
get through.

--
	Mike Pelletier - Usenet News Admin & Programmer
"Wind, waves, etc. are breakdowns in the face of the commitment to getting

sanwalk@moore.com (Roy Sanwalka) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct24.204515.1113@engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>In article <1990Oct18.012252.20861@beach.csulb.edu>
>	stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) writes:
>>Hello Networkers,
>>  How can I send a mail message from an Internet node to a user with
>>an UUCP mail address?  Help!!!  I want to send a mail message to
>>"Darek@microsoft.UUCP".  What should I type in the "To:" prompt?
>>Thanks in advance.
>
>Try the address "Darek%microsoft.UUCP@uunet.uu.net" -- that should
>get through.
>
>--
>	Mike Pelletier - Usenet News Admin & Programmer

Umm...I don't think the guys at UUnet Communication Services would appreciate
this very much.  Although you can get UUCP mail to the Internet through the
UUNET machine, it is NOT an official gateway between the Internet and the
UUCP net!

In other words, this will work but you shouldn't do it because it isn't the
"right" way to do it.  There are plenty of VALID Internet <-> UUCP gateways
available (and every site's mail administrator should have one of these properlyidentified in your sendmail.cf, so that typing "user@host.UUCP" should work
for machines in the .UUCP pseudo-domain from an Internet host.

 This information is a result of being told (by people working for UUnet
 Communication Services) that they do not officially support a local gateway
 between networks, and that they will soon be putting software in place to
 restrict (if not altogether remove) this capacity in favour of "the right
 way".  So, get on the bandwagon early and find those valid sites!

--
|     A. Roy Sanwalka   a.k.a.   sanwalk@ecf.{toronto.edu|utoronto.ca}     |
|   #include <std_disclaim.h>   sanwalk@moore.com, sanwalk@robohack.uucp   |

revell@uunet.UU.NET (James R Revell Jr) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct26.043949.17900@moore.com> sanwalk@moore.com (Roy Sanwalka) writes:
>In article <1990Oct24.204515.1113@engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>>Try the address "Darek%microsoft.UUCP@uunet.uu.net" -- that should
>>get through.
>
> Umm...I don't think the guys at UUnet Communication Services would appreciate
> this very much.  Although you can get UUCP mail to the Internet through the
> UUNET machine, it is NOT an official gateway between the Internet and the
> UUCP net!

There is no problem with using UUNET as a uucp gateway to any UUNET
subscriber.  This is one of the reasons they may have subscribed.
Microsoft is a UUNET subsciber so such a domain address is ok.

Using UUNET as a gateway to a site that is "nearby" path-wise is not
much a problem either when that's an optimal route.

Using UUNET as *the* gateway to all uucp sites from the internet is bad
because it often leads to long paths through other sites also on the
internet (besides, we can only handle so much incoming mail at a time).

Of course, a lot of uucp sites are in registered domains.  It's best to
use their own domain address if they have one.  Microsoft unfortunately
doesn't have one.
--
James Revell   Senior uunet postmaster   revell@uunet.uu.net   /8^{~

oc@vmp.com (Orlan Cannon) (10/28/90)

In article <1990Oct26.043949.17900@moore.com> sanwalk@moore.com (Roy Sanwalka) writes:
>In article <1990Oct24.204515.1113@engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>>In article <1990Oct18.012252.20861@beach.csulb.edu>
>>	stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) writes:
>>>...  I want to send a mail message to
>>>"Darek@microsoft.UUCP".  What should I type in the "To:" prompt?
>>
>>Try the address "Darek%microsoft.UUCP@uunet.uu.net" -- that should
>>get through.
>
>Umm...I don't think the guys at UUnet Communication Services would appreciate
>this very much.  Although you can get UUCP mail to the Internet through the
>UUNET machine, it is NOT an official gateway between the Internet and the
>UUCP net!
>
> ... they [UUNET] do not officially support a local gateway
> between networks, and that they will soon be putting software in place to
> restrict (if not altogether remove) this capacity in favour of "the right
> way".  So, get on the bandwagon early and find those valid sites!

And yet, if we are to believe the UUCP maps, UUNET has declared itself
to be a top-level domain for .UUCP.  In other words, if no direct
route can be found to a site with a *.UUCP address, it will be routed
to the top-level sites.  The file "d.Top" says:

   #
   # DOMAIN GATEWAY LIST FOR UUCP AND OTHER TOP-LEVEL DOMAINS
   # This file is pathalias input for UUCP domain addressing.
   #
   # Problems and changes to uucpmaps@rutgers.edu - Thu Apr 12 03:13:28 EDT 1990
   #
   # TOP LEVEL DOMAINS AND THEIR GATEWAYS
   #
   # UUCP top level domain
   apple		.uucp
   atina		.uucp
   cs.utexas.edu	.uucp
   decuac		.uucp
   gatech		.uucp
   harvard		.uucp
   mcsun		.uucp
   uunet		.uucp
   #

This implies that these are the official sites to route unknown .UUCP
addresses to.  If uunet wishes to restrict the mail they will handle,
they should remove themselves from this list.

--
Orlan Cannon                            oc@vmp.com
Video Marketing & Publications, Inc.    (800) 627-4551

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (11/23/90)

In article <OHM.90Nov21051005@kappore.astem.or.jp>, ohm@astem.or.jp (MORISHIMA Akitoshi) writes:

> It seems that currently (Nov. 20th) smtp packets from some (or all?)
> sites to uunet get filtered by the cisco before uunet.  This is very
> inconvenient for us because uunet is MX's for many uucp sites behind
> it. (e.g. hitachi.com)  Mails for such destinations are being queued
> now at our gateway (and probably many other site's gateway machines),
> which will be eventually returned to sender.  I think if uunet filters
> any smtp connections from outside, it shoudn't advertise any MX. (I
> wish to know how to send a mail to postmaster@uunet.uu.net! :-))

The above statement is absolute and complete crap.

If you have no idea what you are talking about, you should shut up.

UUNET is "limited" to 200 simultaneous sendmails. When people use
it as a dumping ground, mail backs up. Things seem to be back to normal.

No filters in the cisco (cisco would probably love to sell the code that
lets you do that), nor elsewhere. Although I am sorely tempted to start
filter mail from astem.or.jp as it proves to be totally content free.

---rick