[comp.mail.uucp] uucp tracking/logging/accounting?

devil@techunix.BITNET (Gil Tene) (11/24/90)

Hello UUCPfolk,

I am looking for tools that would help record transfer times and
sizes from/to connected systems. I am using HDB uucp on SunOS 4.1
currently, and the current level of logging is simply not good enough.

What I need, is some way to generate a report such as:

System x has moved so-and-so bytes in such-and-such files at
such and such times to system y through my system (z).

The current logging on my uucp can only say what files I have
received from or sent to each system, and there is no report on
where files I send out originated from...

I need this for accounting purposes. I currently use uucp for
overseas (!!!) connections, and intend to let some people
"share" the line with me, splitting overhead and news costs.
I MUST be able to track volume being passed through me,
since I cannot charge people correctly otherwise,
and at $1.2/min that can mean alot.
I do not want to charge people by connection times TO me,
since I don't intend charging for news or local mail, only
for mail passed on the overseas connection...

Are there any such tools available (openly) out there on the net?

AdvThanks,

--Gil.
| Gil Tene                      "Some days it just doesn't pay     |
| devil@techunix.technion.ac.il   to go to sleep in the morning."  |

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (11/25/90)

devil@techunix.BITNET (Gil Tene) writes:

>I am looking for tools that would help record transfer times and
>sizes from/to connected systems. I am using HDB uucp on SunOS 4.1
>currently, and the current level of logging is simply not good enough.

	I experimented with both uureport and uutraffic, available from
the anomaly public site. I found uureport more to my liking, and expect
it can provide what you require. Write if you wish a source copy (11K).

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake	OR		shwake@rsxtech