[comp.mail.uucp] Going from Internet to UUCP

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (11/25/90)

In comp.mail.uucp, article <OHM.90Nov24225946@astemfs.astem.or.jp>,
  ohm@astem.or.jp (MORISHIMA Akitoshi) writes:
<
< [...]  I think it's difficult in
< general to find the nearest gateway from internet to uucp sites unless
< all such gateways advertise MX for them.  Or are there already any
< tools similar to pathalias to find them automatically?
<
Since there are no MXes for .UUCP, you can do either
- randomly select one of the Internet->UUCP gateways which are advertised in
  the maps as UUCP->Internet gateways (in file d.Top), on the reasonable(?)
  assumption that they're transferring mail both ways.
- analyze the maps to find, for host XXX, the closest entry with a domain
  alias, lookup a MX for it, and send the mail via the resulting machine.
  Problem: There doesn't seem to be a tool out there which does this.
- Generate a path from you to XXX, chop it off at the last domain name in
  the path, route via MX as above.
  There exists a Perl script (I have written it; send mail if you want it)
  that takes the maps apart in such a way that this actually works.
- enter the path to XXX.uucp in your mail address,
- post your mail to the newsgroup where the user from XXX originally posted
  (this is a very bad idea, but lots of people do it...),
- give up. :-(

Have I omitted anything?

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

In article <2dqjg2.8$2@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Since there are no MXes for .UUCP, you can do either
>- randomly select one of the Internet->UUCP gateways which are advertised in
>(...)
>
>Have I omitted anything?

 Sure you have.  Find (by grepping through the maps) a number of Internet
sites with many UUCP connections.  Generate a 'u.LOCAL' file which pretends
that you have a local uucp connection to each of them.  Then run
pathalias on the map.  It will generate a collection of paths of the form
full.domain.name!uuhost!...!%s .  If you prefer to convert these to
the form uuhost!...!%s@full.domain.name a simple sed script will do.

 I takes some time to generate the initial list of internet sites, and to
test them with a nameserver lookup to be sure they have an A-record and
are not merely MX domains.  But once done the same list will last for
a long time.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940

ohm@astem.or.jp (MORISHIMA Akitoshi) (11/25/90)

urlichs> Since there are no MXes for .UUCP

Yes.  But at least for sites that

	has only UUCP links
	but has domain name (other than *.UUCP),

I thought it's possible (although not realistic to do that for all
such sites, maybe...).

Most sites in JUNET are this case.  They have only uucp links, but
almost all of them have domain names that are compatible with internet
domain name.  So some gateways on internet advertise MX for them,
although routing at uucp sites still depend on hard-coded rules in
sendmail.cf. (There is a tool 'mailconf' for generating sendmail.cf
from a simple configuration file.  Most of JUNET sites are using it.
It differs from tools such as Ease in that it requires little
knowledge of sendmail/sendmail.cf, so it's easy to configure.  Mails
that couldn't be resolved at a site are forwarded to 'upper level'
neighbor host)

urlichs> - randomly select one of the Internet->UUCP gateways which
urlichs> are advertised in the maps as UUCP->Internet gateways (in
urlichs> file d.Top), on the reasonable(?)  assumption that they're
urlichs> transferring mail both ways.

My first thought was that we shouldn't increase the load of some
limited number of gateways.  The gateways listed in d.Top seems to be
too few to handle worldwide mail traffic.  So I didn't want to forward
all such mails to one gateway (e.g. uunet).  Am I too pessimistic?

urlichs> - analyze the maps to find, for host XXX, the closest entry
urlichs> with a domain alias, lookup a MX for it, and send the mail
urlichs> via the resulting machine.  Problem: There doesn't seem to be
urlichs> a tool out there which does this.

Yes, so I informed my colleagues to 'grep' comp.mail.maps articles, and
find the host that looks like to have internet links, then use
'user%host.uucp@the_gateway'...  This is tidy work for normal user.

urlichs> - Generate a path from you to XXX, chop it off at the last
urlichs> domain name in the path, route via MX as above.

I wonder if the last domain in the path is always the closest
gateway...

Also, I'm afraid that we have no uucp links to carry mails.  I want to
know how to write our local information to pathalias in this case.
Can I write 'dummy (not true)' link to several gateways (as in d.Top,
for example)?  Is the path generated by such information optimal?

Anyway,

urlichs>   There exists a Perl script (I have written it; send mail if
urlichs> you want it) that takes the maps apart in such a way that
urlichs> this actually works.

if you have time, could you mail it?

urlichs> - enter the path to XXX.uucp in your mail address,

(I don't want to use source routes as much as possible...  We all hope
to cease using ! or % eventually in the future, don't we?)

urlichs> - post your mail to the newsgroup where the user from XXX
urlichs> originally posted (this is a very bad idea, but lots of
urlichs> people do it...),

I can never do such thing that only wastes many machine's resources.
Also, if we find the address off-line, (such as in papers or magazines
or books), we can't use this way.

-- Akitoshi

Makey@Snoopy.Logicon.COM (Jeff Makey) (11/27/90)

In article <2dqjg2.8$2@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Since there are no MXes for .UUCP, you can do either
 [...]
>- analyze the maps to find, for host XXX, the closest entry with a domain
>  alias, lookup a MX for it, and send the mail via the resulting machine.
>  Problem: There doesn't seem to be a tool out there which does this.

I have modified pathalias to generate CNAME records, MX records, and
internet-rooted paths for the UUCP pseudo-zone.  I will mail a 20
Kbyte shar file of the changes to anyone who asks, but get your
requests in quickly because I will probably be losing this account
soon.  Send your requests to Makey@Logicon.COM.

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: All opinions are strictly those of the author.
    Domain: Makey@Logicon.COM    UUCP: {ucsd,nosc}!snoopy!Makey