[comp.mail.uucp] forwarding mail through att

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov24.163906.19793@chinet.chi.il.us>
laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:

$ [...]  att, for
$ example, is listed by pitt in the u.usa.pa maps as "the world's biggest
$ leaf node" because they normally deny forwarding privileges to mail.>

Slight correction:  They forward within AT&T but not outside it.  For
example, sending to uunet!att!sitea!siteb!joe will work if sitea and
siteb are AT&T machines.  Sending to att!uunet!sitec!joe will not
work.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher,,255RTFM,255rtfm) (11/27/90)

>Slight correction:  They forward within AT&T but not outside it.  For
>example, sending to uunet!att!sitea!siteb!joe will work if sitea and
>siteb are AT&T machines.  Sending to att!uunet!sitec!joe will not
>work.

Slight correction correction...
They accept mail for forwarding within att. Then a few days later you
get a 'message from UUCP' back saying "we have not been able to reach
machine attxxx for 3 days" and then a few days later you get your mail
back.

I've also flamed att for trying to hide everyone under xxx@cbnews{a-z}.
When you reply to a post, it comes back with a message saying "Hey --
there's no one on THIS machine by that name" virtually every time.

I CANNOT however, gripe about att's postmaster. Every time I send him
the bounced mail, he figures out where it should go, and helpfully
sends it on its way. He does seem concerned about the problems, too.

Thus I can only conclude that
a) 	upper management is too busy worrying about MCI and Sprint to
	spend resources on fixing their own machines.

b) 	the whole scheme of bounce mail is to keep att engineering
	staff from hearing what is going on the the rest of the world.

c)	it's a fiendish plot -- for details, see James Colburn
	in "The President's Analyst."

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM