[comp.mail.uucp] uupc - uucp for MS-DOS

rick@ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) (12/06/90)

I have just installed uupc 1.08 on my DOS machine at home and I am
having some problems. Maybe somebody else who reads this group can help.

After logging in to an IBM RS/6000, uupc successfully sends mail
to the RS/6000, but mail queued for the DOS machine is not transmitted.

I understand that there is later version of uupc available. Is this a
problem that has been fixed in the later release. If so can anyone
direct me to where I can uucp the current version.

I was unable to get the RS6000 to successfully call the DOS uupc machine.
It seems to be a problem with the chat script.  Does anyone out there
have special knowledge of this problem. BTW, uupc does a really strange
thing. When waiting for inbound traffic, it turns off auto answer on
the modem and waits for the modem to echo the word 'RING'.

Thanx, I greatly appreciate all suggestions.
--
		| Email - !uunet!ulticorp!ultixrs!rick
Rick Poleshuck 	| Voice - (201) 887-9222 Ext. 755
		| Mail  - The Ultimate Corporation, East Hanover, NJ 07936

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (12/08/90)

On <Dec 07 00:44> rick/1024000 writes:

 r> BTW, uupc does a really strange
 r> thing. When waiting for inbound traffic, it turns off auto answer on
 r> the modem and waits for the modem to echo the word 'RING'.

It's not strange, it's polite.  Auto answer would pick up the line even if the
program had crashed.  Waiting for 'RING' and then telling the modem to pick up
the call keeps long distance charges for useless calls down.

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

help@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended Help Desk) (12/11/90)

From article <1825.27604305@ofa123.fidonet.org>, by rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis):
> On <Dec 07 00:44> rick/1024000 writes:
>
>  r> BTW, uupc does a really strange
>  r> thing. When waiting for inbound traffic, it turns off auto answer on
>  r> the modem and waits for the modem to echo the word 'RING'.
>
> It's not strange, it's polite.  Auto answer would pick up the line
> even if the program had crashed.  Waiting for 'RING' and then telling
> the modem to pick up the call keeps long distance charges for useless
> calls down.

Polite is not the word I would use.  I was downright paraniod about the
program crashing and leaving the modem in an unknown state when I wrote
that,  which by the way went into UUPC when I had only been working on
it for about a week in May 1989.  I think I also had problems with it
losing characters or hanging up the phone when it auto-answered, I am
unsure but I do know I switched it back and forth a few times before
leaving it waiting for the RING.

I must have missed the original question on UUPC; did some have a
question on it?  (For the uninformed, I'm the current maintainer of
it.)

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  help@kendra.kew.com           Snail mail:  108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:     617-641-3739                               Arlington, MA 02174