[comp.mail.uucp] Help: Using FSUUCP

MUNDAY@NKUVAX.BITNET (David Munday) (12/08/90)

I've been trying to configure FSUUCP to log into a local UNIX system for
mail and news and I've been having problems.

Can anyone using FSUUCP see what's wrong here?

I've included a copy of my l.sys file, a transcript of a session where I
called the system with an ordinary communications program and giving my
UUCP login ID, and a transcript/description of FSUUCP's output.

passwords and phone numbers have been changed

----------begin l.sys-------------------------------------------------------
cinnet Any Hayes 2400 ATDT5551212 "" <CR>\d<CR>\d<CR> ogin: umunday /
WORD: pickle
----------end l.sys---------------------------------------------------------
this is all one line the / here indecates concat the next line.

---------begin transcript of dialin with uucp login--------------------------
Welcome to the Cincinnati Network's Publix Access Unix             ISC 386/ix
To register as a new user, use the "newacct" name, and "new user" when asked.
System name: cniysc

login: umunday
Password:
UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2
cniysc
Copyright (C) 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988 AT&T
Copyright (C) 1987, 1988 Microsoft Corp.
All Rights Reserved
Shere=cinnet
-------end transcript of dialin to cinnet with uucp login---------------------

-------begin screen capture of FSUUCP just before things go bad---------------
Got that!
Connect! Line Settle...
Expecting: """"
Sending: "<CR>\d<CR>\d<CR>"
Expecting: "ogin:"
Got:goon?1x8|??0PB?0DC}yq}???????????????#?r?/????????????j????rc
Welcome to the Cincinnati Network's Publix Access Unix             ISC 386/ix
To register as a new user, use the "newacct" name, and "new user" when asked.

System name: cniysc

login:
Got that!

Sending: "umunday"
Expecting: "WORD:"
Got: <CR>
\PASSWORD:
Got that!

Sending: "pickle"

Calling uucico.exe -scinnet -x9
---------end screen capture-------------------------------------------------
all that stuff preceding the Welcome message as crud from before the
<CR>\d<CR>\d<CR> causes the other modem to auto baud.

this is followed by the UUCICO screen which sits there for a while then
the screen blanks and I get the message
-----------begin------------------------------------------------------------
FSUUCP Version 1.1 Release 5: Could not connect to cinnet.

EXIT STATUS: STARTUP: rmsg timeout (M1)
-----------end--------------------------------------------------------------

then the screen blanks again and I get
-----------begin-----------------------------------------------------------
system "cinnet" is not in the l.sys file
-----------end-------------------------------------------------------------

cinnet is in the l.sys file as you can see, and I know callout can find
l.sys since it's finding the phone number there.

Any Ideas?

also the -p and -<filename> options to callout do not tee the debug info
as they are expected to.

I have not yet registered this product yet as I have yet to see it work!

Any help would be apreciated.

Dave Munday           | Bitnet    : munday@nkuvax    AT&T 606-781-2423
Fool on the Hill      | INTERNET  : munday@nkuvax.bitnet
Northern Kentucky U.  | UUCP      : ...psuvax1!nkuvax.bitnet!munday
                      | USmail    : 20 Chalfonte Pl, Ft Thomas, Ky 41075
"Independence is for the very few; it is a privilege of the strong.  And
whoever attempts it even with the best right but without inner constraint
proves that he is probably not only strong, but also daring to the point of
recklessness.... Supposing one like that comes to greif, this happens so
far from the comprehension of men that they neither feel it nor sympathize."
               - Friedrich Nietzsche,  Beyond Good and Evil,  29.

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar's Carbonated Hormones) (12/17/90)

MUNDAY@NKUVAX.BITNET (David Munday) recently informed us:
>I've been trying to configure FSUUCP to log into a local UNIX system for
>mail and news and I've been having problems.
>
>Can anyone using FSUUCP see what's wrong here?
>
>cinnet Any Hayes 2400 ATDT5551212 "" <CR>\d<CR>\d<CR> ogin: umunday /
>WORD: pickle

First off, you cannot do <CR>\d<CR>\d<CR>. <CR> needs to be an option
in itself. That's why you're getting all that garbage.

Do this: "" <CR> "" \d "" <CR> "" \d "" <CR> if you need to, but the <CR>
directive was meant to be used once. I've never seen a situation where
it was needed more than once.

>-----------begin------------------------------------------------------------
>FSUUCP Version 1.1 Release 5: Could not connect to cinnet.
>
>EXIT STATUS: STARTUP: rmsg timeout (M1)
>-----------end--------------------------------------------------------------

This means that the other system never sent that ROK message. Usually
because you sent the wrong password or shere message...

>-----------begin-----------------------------------------------------------
>system "cinnet" is not in the l.sys file
>-----------end-------------------------------------------------------------

This just means that there is no directory for "cinnet", probably because
you've not had a successful run, and it wasn't created. Once you log in
and transfer things, it'll be created for you.

What you need to do it check the other end and make sure that the shere
message it's seeing is what it WANTS to see, and that you're logging in
OK with the proper password, and that the other side starts up UUCICO
properly.

>also the -p and -<filename> options to callout do not tee the debug info
>as they are expected to.

That's -f<filename> ...

--
++Christopher(); --- cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu --- chris@erotica.fubarsys.com
---

In article <276c4ccd.441b@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar's Carbonated Hormones) writes:

[about FSUUCP...]>

>First off, you cannot do <CR>\d<CR>\d<CR>. <CR> needs to be an option
>in itself. That's why you're getting all that garbage.

>Do this: "" <CR> "" \d "" <CR> "" \d "" <CR> if you need to, but the <CR>
>directive was meant to be used once. I've never seen a situation where
>it was needed more than once.

You will need at least one cr/delay for each downward speed switch you
want the other end to do if you are trying to log into a normal unix
getty and more don't hurt anything (you just get another login: prompt
from a cr at the right speed).  I usually send 3 just on general principles.
Why don't you use the \r notation like HDB so the scripts can be interchanged?

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us