[comp.mail.uucp] Smail3.1.19 map collection

smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (Hibbard T. Smith JR) (12/29/90)

I recently picked up smail-3.1.19 and built and began using it as my mail
transfer agent.  Packaged with this distribution are a whole set of
utilities for dealing with uucp maps and building a pathalias data base.
The documentation suggests using the inews program to accumulate a list
of newly arrived map file names, and then using this list to periodically
pick up the new maps, and rebuild the mapping data base.  The mechanism says
to insert an image in the news sys file as follows:
	"maps:comp.mail.maps,world:F:/usr/spool/uumaps/work/batch"
The inews document for "b news" 2.11 says the "F" will build a file of the
names of articles posted.  I did all the setup, and several maps arrived, but
no entries appeared in the batch file.
  Should this work? If so, can anyone point me to the light?  Since the
  first field of the sys file entry is supposed to be a site name, should
  I have set it to "me" or my site name?

I'd really like to be able to automate this process, and if someone could
help, I'd sure appreciate it.

BTW smail3.1.19 is a fantastic package.  It goes together cleaner than
any other PD package I've dealt with. The ease of configuration (in
English) sure does beat sendmail for any application I've seen. Futhermore,
it works.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
		Smitty
Hibbard T. Smith JR                 smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (01/04/91)

smitty@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (Hibbard T. Smith JR) writes:

>pick up the new maps, and rebuild the mapping data base.  The mechanism says
>to insert an image in the news sys file as follows:
>	"maps:comp.mail.maps,world:F:/usr/spool/uumaps/work/batch"

>  Should this work? If so, can anyone point me to the light?  Since the
>  first field of the sys file entry is supposed to be a site name, should
>  I have set it to "me" or my site name?
Yes, it should and does work, at least on my system.  The first field
needs to be a "dummy" site name to fool the news software into
thinking it's processing articles bound for batching to some other
system.  The problem you are probably running into is that when the
news is unbatched, and the /usr/spool/uumaps/work/batch file created,
the effective uid is that of the owner of your rnews, not "root".
This means that the /usr/spool/uumaps/work directory must be writable
by that same uid.  For me, the owner of rnews is "usenet".  I have the
work directory owned by "usenet" with mode 755.  I do map processing
as root, though with appropriate group permissions map processing
could be done by some other "user".
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Give me voice mail or give me drugs!"/"Mandatory Drug Testing? Just Say NO!!!"