[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP/Internet mail gateway S/W?

dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu (12/20/90)

Our dept. recently came onto the Internet and I need to find a way to connect
the existing uucp mail to sendmail.  Our existing sites are 3B2's running ATT
system V unix (3.1.1).  I have endured the rigors of configuring sendmail
to work with the ATT mail, but I can't see how to get the uucp mail to send
it's mail thru sendmail (and out to Internetland).

I know that the solution is to set up a uucp Internet mail gateway, but I
cannot determine what s/w does this for me.  I have looked thru some of the
anonymous ftp sites, but it's not clear which package (if any) I should use.

If it's of any use, we will be using Elm at all of our sites.

You can send me mail at the address listed below.  Thanks.

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
Info. Processing Consultant
University of Wisconsin-Dept. of Family Medicine
dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
(608) 262-6368

andy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andy S Poling) (12/21/90)

In article <4993@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:
>Our dept. recently came onto the Internet and I need to find a way to connect
>the existing uucp mail to sendmail.  Our existing sites are 3B2's running ATT
>system V unix (3.1.1).  I have endured the rigors of configuring sendmail
>to work with the ATT mail, but I can't see how to get the uucp mail to send
>it's mail thru sendmail (and out to Internetland).

I think the solution to your problem is to install the rmail from the
sendmail source distribution.  When mail comes in via UUCP, the mail is fed
to rmail.  I think your existent rmail doesn't know about sendmail - just
how to forward mail to your UUCP neighbors.  The rmail in the sendmail
source distribution also parses those UGLY From ... remote from ... and
invokes sendmail with command-line arguments that ensure reasonable return
addresses.

I can provide a SysV port of sendmail's rmail to anyone who drops me a line.

-Andy

--
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  Bitnet: ANDY@JHUNIX

hansen@pegasus.att.com (Tony L. Hansen) (12/31/90)

In article <4993@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:
>Our dept. recently came onto the Internet and I need to find a way to connect
>the existing uucp mail to sendmail.  Our existing sites are 3B2's running ATT
>system V unix (3.1.1).  I have endured the rigors of configuring sendmail
>to work with the ATT mail, but I can't see how to get the uucp mail to send
>it's mail thru sendmail (and out to Internetland).

AT&T has a product known as Enhanced Unix Mail (release 4.0) which would
solve your problem. Call the AT&T Mail Customer Assistance Center
(1-800-MAIL672) for details. It includes a complete replacement for the SVr3
mail system which properly works with SMTP. If anyone has problems getting
EUMr4, let me know.

					Tony Hansen
				att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony
				    hansen@pegasus.att.com

>In article <4993@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:
>>Our dept. recently came onto the Internet and I need to find a way to connect
>>the existing uucp mail to sendmail.  Our existing sites are 3B2's running ATT
>>system V unix (3.1.1).  I have endured the rigors of configuring sendmail
>>to work with the ATT mail, but I can't see how to get the uucp mail to send
>>it's mail thru sendmail (and out to Internetland).

The usual SysV approaches are to run smail 2.5 for uucp routing along
with sendmail, or run smail 3.1 as a replacement for sendmail.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/04/91)

In article <4993@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:

>Our dept. recently came onto the Internet and I need to find a way to connect
>the existing uucp mail to sendmail.  Our existing sites are 3B2's running ATT
>system V unix (3.1.1).  I have endured the rigors of configuring sendmail
>to work with the ATT mail, but I can't see how to get the uucp mail to send
>it's mail thru sendmail (and out to Internetland).

	R|S|X will soon be releasing version 1.4 of FXmail which will offer
the option to use sendmail (or possibly smail) as the delivery agent rather
than the standard sdaemon. sdaemon is an order of magnitude faster than
either smail 2.5 or sendmail (thus our reticence in moving straight to
those alternatives) but currently supports only local and uucp channels.
Write for more info if interested.

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake			shwake@rsxtech