----------------
Date: 21 Jan 86 21:06:52 JST (Tue)
From: Danny Braniss <danny%hujics.BitNet@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>

For some time now, actually more than three months, I have been trying
to obtain info on the Tu81 unibus tape from DEC. Needless to say, I only
got the runaround from DEC.
At the moment, I have enough documentation to install, take apart, and maybe
put together again the Tu81, (needless to say, we have a service agreement
with DEC).
Some facts:
1- The Tu81 is a unibus tape that talks something called TMSCP, a big brother
   of MSCP.
2- Ultrix will support it, but not yet.
3- System V does not.
4- 4.2/3BSD: Berkeley is uncommitted.

I can only come to the following conclusions:
1- There is some kind of conspiracy to kill Unix, at least in what new
   DEC equipment is concerned.
2- It is obvious that DEC is trying, and succeeding(?), in pushing VMS, which
   of course supports the TU81.
3- Since we have no intentions in switching to VMS, and as far as I am
   concerned, this was the last piece of equipment that we
   are buying from dec. There are nicer, faster and cheaper cpu's around.
Or:
   DEC is again blundering it.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.......

Has anyone anywhere managed to get up a device driver for this tapedrive
that is useable or portable to 4.2???

danny
 danny@hujics.bitnet (Since this one is cheaper).

chris@basser.oz (Chris Maltby) (02/03/86)

When given the commission to write a TU80 driver for SYSV, I too
approached DEC about it, and was given all sorts or rubbish until
finally I spoke to someone who knew a bit about the subject, who taold
me that the TU80 and TS11 are identical except for some obscure error
returns and possibly error recovery techniques. I then compared TU80
and TS11 manuals and couldn't find any practical difference. Needless
to say, my TU80 driver worked first time...

The TU81 is a TU80 with higher density available: no worries, it's
such a simple change to make it select 6250 for the right minor
number.

Chris Maltby
Ex Neology Ltd

sjt@sb6.UUCP (SIDNEY THOMPSON) (02/04/86)

 We are currently running 16 785s with ULTRIX and TU81s.  The 1.2
 version will officialy support the little beast but with as many
 useless pieces of iron around as we had DEC was willing to retrofit
 1.1 for us.  While it is true that VMS is DEC's first love, I have
 found them willing after enough noise to work with us on ULTRIX
 problems.  They will admit that they are not going to put as much
 effort into ULTRIX development as they do into VMS and can realy see
 their point in doing so.

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (02/04/86)

In article <510@basser.oz> chris@basser.oz (Chris Maltby) writes:
>        the TU80 and TS11 are identical except for some obscure error
>returns and possibly error recovery techniques.

True.  The TS11 driver works fine for TU80s.

>The TU81 is a TU80 with higher density available: no worries, it's
>such a simple change to make it select 6250 for the right minor
>number.

That's true *only* regarding the transport hardware.  The TS11 and TU80
use a protocol called RSP (radial-serial protocol), as do TU58
cassettes.  It's *completely* different from TMSCP (tape mass storage
control protocol).  TMSCP is MSCP (like the UDA50) with additional
functions added to support tape operations.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

chris@basser.oz (Chris Maltby) (02/05/86)

In article <510@basser.oz>, I wrote:

> The TU81 is a TU80 with higher density available: no worries, it's
> such a simple change to make it select 6250 for the right minor
> number.

I got all sorts of mail from people inside DEC who aught to know
about this that I am totally wrong. Just like them, eh? Choose one
standard and then choose another completely different, but increment
the model number by one. They get more like the other 3 letter
multinationals every day...

My deepest apologies to anyone I may have misled.