[comp.mail.uucp] Rerouting backlogged mail

cluther@supernet.haus.com (Clay Luther) (01/08/91)

Is it possible to reroute backlogged mail in uucp?  For instance, if a have
x messages batched up to go to site A and A goes down, can I reroute those
messages through site B to get them off the system (rather than letting them
die)?

Thanks.

--
Clay Luther, Postmaster          cluther@supernet.haus.com
  Harris Adacom Corporation      cluther@enigma.haus.com

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.053923.18054@supernet.haus.com>, cluther@supernet.haus.com (Clay Luther) writes:
> Is it possible to reroute backlogged mail in uucp?  For instance, if a have
> x messages batched up to go to site A and A goes down, can I reroute those
> messages through site B to get them off the system (rather than letting them
> die)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Clay Luther, Postmaster          cluther@supernet.haus.com
>   Harris Adacom Corporation      cluther@enigma.haus.com
>   Voice:  214/386-2356           MS 23, PO Box 809022, Dallas, Tx 75380-9022
>   Fax:    214/386-2159           Your mileage may vary.  Void where prohibited.

Someone had written a command called "reroute" for the 7300, I hacked on
it a bit and have it running on the 3B2 family of computers..  It does
exactly what you asked...

Ah, here we go...

/************************************************************************\
**                                                                      **
** Program name:    reroute.c (Reroute rmail uux jobs to another node)  **
** Programmer:      Lenny Tropiano                                      **
** E-Mail address:  ...!icus!lenny -or- lenny@icus.islp.ny.us           **
** Date:            November 5, 1989  [Version 1.0]                     **
** Patchlevel:      November 6, 1989  [Version 1.1]                     **
** Patchlevel:      November 7, 1989  [Version 1.2]: bug fix where it   **
**                  wasn't stat()'ing the full path of the directory,   **
**                  in find_path().                                     **
**                  Reported by Lee Ziegenhals (lcz@sat.datapoint.com)  **
**                                                                      **
**                                                                      **
** Program use:  This program will take a queued "rmail" job for one    **
**               system, and move (or reroute) the job to another node. **
**               Sometimes a job will be queued to a system, then the   **
**               system goes down, you (as an administrator) notices    **
**               this, and wants to reroute the mail (your mail, most   **
**               likely) to another site and path to get it off your    **
**               machine before uucleanup cancels it.                   **
**               (See manual page: reroute.1 for more information)      **
**                                                                      **
**                                                                      **
** Disclaimer:   Use of this program can be hazardous to queued mail    **
**               if not used properly.  I take no responsibility for    **
**               anything this program does ...                         **
** Permission is granted to distribute this program by any means as     **
** long as credit is given for my work.     I would also like to see    **
** any modifications or enhancements to this program.                   **

I have Lennys version or the 3B2 version, which ever you would like...

--
AT&T 		|	 This space		| (708)-859-4485
Phil Gunsul	|	intentionally		| prg@mgweed.ATT.COM