[comp.mail.uucp] Separating news and mail with UUCP

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (01/18/91)

I'd like to be able to poll for mail every hour or so, but only poll for
news three times a day (when the phone charges are off-peak.)

Is there any standard or recommended way of doing this?

mathew.
[ Sorry if it's a stupid question... ]
--
Internet: mathew@mantis.co.uk / mathew%mantis.co.uk@ukc.ac.uk
    UUCP: mathew@mantis.UUCP / ...!mcsun!ukc!ibmpcug!mantis!mathew

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (01/20/91)

In article <157yV1w163w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) writes:
>I'd like to be able to poll for mail every hour or so, but only poll for
>news three times a day (when the phone charges are off-peak.)
>
>Is there any standard or recommended way of doing this?
>
>[ Sorry if it's a stupid question... ]

Not at all a stupid question.

I published the solution under the rubric of "Alice and the Walrus" in
Vol 1, #2 of "The GURU", a new publication for *nix folk (Vol 1, #4)
is just now being mailed out.

Call 1-800-527-GURU, or write to John Esak in care of CompuServe by
addressing your mail to:
	76703.746@compuserve.com
--

 Jean-Pierre Radley	    NYC Public Unix	jpr@jpr.com	CIS: 72160,1341

igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) (01/22/91)

In article <1019@iiasa.UUCP> wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net (Wolf PAUL ) writes:
> In article <157yV1w163w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) writes:
> >I'd like to be able to poll for mail every hour or so, but only poll for
> >news three times a day (when the phone charges are off-peak.)
> >
> >Is there any standard or recommended way of doing this?
> >

> Since we have source to uucp, we added a switch to uucico to poll as a
> different name; however, without source you could just create a shell
> script which changes the node name, runs uucico, then resets the node
> name to the "normal" name.

Any modern-ish uucp can do this anyway.  Modern-ish covers almost any
UKUUCP, 4.3bsd, SVR3.*, SVR4, SunOS4.1.  I have a feeling you can't do
it with SunOS{3.*,4.0}.  HoneyDanber derived UUCPen (those with Systems,
Permissions, etc) set MYNAME=whatever in the Permissions file.  It's
easier to configure if BOTH ends have two names.

ian

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (01/24/91)

According to jpr@jpradley.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley):
>I published the solution ...

If you're going to plug a commercial publication on Usenet, the least
you can do is answer the question asked.

"I won't tell you unless you fork over the money" isn't Usenet.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
       "If Usenet exists, then what is its mailing address?"  -- me