[comp.mail.uucp] Smail 2.5 and a Smart Host

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (01/29/91)

Mccc.edu is connected to princeton.edu via dialup.  Princeton.edu is the
MX server for mccc.edu.

I would like to set up smail 2.5 to automatically send all mail messages
not addressed to local users to princeton for forwarding, but I have
been singularly unsuccessful.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.013232.1203@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>Mccc.edu is connected to princeton.edu via dialup.  Princeton.edu is the
>MX server for mccc.edu.
>
>I would like to set up smail 2.5 to automatically send all mail messages
>not addressed to local users to princeton for forwarding, but I have
>been singularly unsuccessful.  Can anyone help?

In the defs.h file for smail2.5, make sure that you uncomment the #define for
smart-host.

I assume you have a u.Local, or some such file, that you throw in ahead of all
the other map files when you run pathalias. It should have a line like this:

smart-host = princeton

Seems to be all I needed to do here.

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341