[comp.mail.uucp] usage of "ct"

greil@guug.guug.de (Anton Greil) (01/16/91)

I want to use the program "ct" from the UUCP package for interactive callbacks.

If I call a UNIX-host from my UNIX-PC with a modem and "cu" to order "ct" on
the host to call back my PC, then:

1. In which state are the PC and the modem, when the host forces its first
   hangup to get the line free for the callback?
   I think I have to stay in the cu session (in dial-out mode) and wait
   for the dial-in of the callback. What about the handling of the control
   lines, especially DCT ?

2. In BNU:
   Can ct be a "service" in /usr/lib/uucp/Sysfile like cu or uucico
   - if it were neccessary to give a special initialization of the
   modem for ct in /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers ?

   How good is ct integrated in the UUCP package (BNU) ?

Who has worked with ct and can give me some hints ?
Thank you very much!

Toni Greil, Muenchen   Germany

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) (01/31/91)

In article <594@guug.guug.de>, greil@guug.guug.de (Anton Greil) writes:
<
< I want to use the program "ct" from the UUCP package for interactive callbacks.
<
< If I call a UNIX-host from my UNIX-PC with a modem and "cu" to order "ct" on
< the host to call back my PC, then:
<
< 1. In which state are the PC and the modem, when the host forces its first
<    hangup to get the line free for the callback?
<    I think I have to stay in the cu session (in dial-out mode) and wait
<    for the dial-in of the callback. What about the handling of the control
<    lines, especially DCT ?
<

Wish I could be more help on this one...  All I can tell you here is that
your UNIX-PC must be sitting there like a terminal with a modem on it, ready
to answer the phone when it rings, and go into a data mode..

<
< 2. In BNU:
<    Can ct be a "service" in /usr/lib/uucp/Sysfile like cu or uucico
<    - if it were neccessary to give a special initialization of the
<    modem for ct in /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers ?
<
<    How good is ct integrated in the UUCP package (BNU) ?
<
<
< Who has worked with ct and can give me some hints ?
< Thank you very much!
<
< Toni Greil, Muenchen   Germany

The only other problem I've had with "ct" is it appears as though you can NOT
run a uugetty on the "out-bound" port of the computer that is CALLING you.
The outbound port should be just that, outbound only..  Running a uugetty on
this port will do STRANGE things, like drop the session shortly after you
connect and hit a few returns..

With no getty, your phone should ring, you answer, the modems connect, hit
return a few times and you should see a login message!

--
AT&T 		|	 This space		| (708)-859-4485
Phil Gunsul	|	intentionally		| prg@mgweed.ATT.COM

chris@vision.uucp (Chris Davies) (02/01/91)

In article <8414@mgweed.UUCP> prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) writes:
>The only other problem I've had with "ct" is it appears as though you can NOT
>run a uugetty on the "out-bound" port of the computer that is CALLING you.
>The outbound port should be just that, outbound only..  Running a uugetty on
>this port will do STRANGE things, like drop the session shortly after you
>connect and hit a few returns..

That's right.  It's because _c_t spawns a normal _g_e_t_t_y (which in turn starts
_l_o_g_i_n), and _g_e_t_t_y doesn't understand the locking mechanism used by _u_u_g_e_t_t_y and
_c_u to control access to the serial port.

It's a known problem, but I don't think anyone's done anything about it..

Chris
--
VISIONWARE LTD         | UK: chris@vision.uucp    JANET: chris%vision.uucp@ukc
57 Cardigan Lane       | US: chris@vware.mn.org   BANGNET: ...!ukc!vision!chris