[comp.mail.uucp] Software to go from Fidonet to Usenet, and vice versa

eww@engr.ucf.edu (Mr. Eric W. Wampner) (01/26/91)

In article <6479@munnari.oz.au> ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) writes:

>	Does anybody know about such software? I'm trying to interface a BBS
>to my Usenet node, and I would prefer it if there was some software to do any
>translations/changes automatically. Any software (PD or commercial, but PD is
>preferred) will do. I'd prefer it on an Amiga, but I suppose I can run it
>under MS-DOS as well. Source code is preferred, but not essential.
>
>	Thanks in advance,
>				Ian
>
>P.S. I'd prefer replies by e-mail, rather than chasing followups everywhere.

I hate to sound cliche, but me too, posting might not be bad, I don't
think I have seen this before.

Of course, I am not desperate enough to use a msdos machine.....

Eric Wampner
eww@heretic.engr.ucf.edu

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (01/28/91)

On <Jan 26 20:13> Mr. Eric W. Wampner writes:

 MEWW> Of course, I am not desperate enough to use a msdos machine.....

Some of us have to because of the market we are involved with but that doesn't
mean we can't get Usenet or uucp mail.

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) (01/28/91)

Try looking around for a program called UFGATE (Usenet Fidonet GATEway)
which I believe is available from Tim Pozar on Fidonet.  However, don't
expect any help on getting it set up.  You will be on your own.  The
documentation describes what has to be changed but not really how to use
it.  No user manual, so to speak.  It also doesn't work with some of
the FidoNet mailers.  And lately FidoNet has been some resistent to
becoming an integral part of the other network communities.  I find the
attitude disappointing and myopic.

We have been told to look at waffle, but waffle is a full blown BBS.
However, someone seems to say that waffle can be used as a gateway.

Generally, there are very few on FidoNet who know how to gateway to
usenet, so you have a lot of work to do on your own.

cheers,
 -chip

* Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
* (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
* (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
#include <disclaimer.h>

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/29/91)

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) writes:

>Try looking around for a program called UFGATE (Usenet Fidonet GATEway)
>which I believe is available from Tim Pozar on Fidonet.  However, don't

rfmail which runs under UNIX is a better solution than any of the DOS
products (that I have used).  rfmail is designed to take advantage of
the unix file system - while ufgate puts a massive load on the PC which
really brings the machine to a slow pace.

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) (01/30/91)

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) writes:

> We have been told to look at waffle, but waffle is a full blown BBS.
> However, someone seems to say that waffle can be used as a gateway.

Waffle can't gateway between usenet and any other system.  It has the
facilities to feed incoming articles into a user-supplied program to do
the gatewaying, though.

cjs
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca          | "Do you know what happens when you leave a
curt@cynic.uucp                  | fish too long in an elevator?  No?  Well,
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt | here's a clue: fish is biodegradable." -JBC

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (01/30/91)

On <Jan 29 14:59> Charles "Chip" Roberson writes:

 CR> Try looking around for a program called UFGATE (Usenet Fidonet GATEway)
 CR> which I believe is available from Tim Pozar on Fidonet.  However, don't
 CR> expect any help on getting it set up.  You will be on your own.  The
 CR> documentation describes what has to be changed but not really how to use
 CR> it.  No user manual, so to speak.

The documentation isn't that bad.  The problem most people have setting up
Ufgate is lack of understanding of the uucp/Usenet/Internet world.

 CR> It also doesn't work with some of the FidoNet mailers.

Most of the mailers in common use work quite well with Ufgate.  Obviously one
would avoid using a mailer that doesn't work with Ufgate.

 CR> And lately FidoNet has been some resistent to
 CR> becoming an integral part of the other network communities.  I find the
 CR> attitude disappointing and myopic.

I haven't seen any resistance to gatewaying to the Usenet world. In fact all
Fidonet nodes have Internet addresses.  Gateways have been in place for some
time now.

 CR> We have been told to look at waffle, but waffle is a full blown BBS.
 CR> However, someone seems to say that waffle can be used as a gateway.

Waffle does not include any gatewaying functions.

 CR> Generally, there are very few on FidoNet who know how to gateway to
 CR> usenet, so you have a lot of work to do on your own.

Depends on what you mean by "very few".

--

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) (01/30/91)

In article <2336.27A61D0B@ofa123.fidonet.org> rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) writes:
>On <Jan 29 14:59> Charles "Chip" Roberson writes:
>
> CR> Try looking around for a program called UFGATE (Usenet Fidonet GATEway)
>
>The documentation isn't that bad.  The problem most people have setting up
>Ufgate is lack of understanding of the uucp/Usenet/Internet world.

I won't go into my understanding (or lack thereof) but the documentation
is more like a man page than a user's manual.  Also, if you check the
UFGATE Echo I believe you will see that there have been several people
complaining about setting up UFGATE.

One example was what to do about creating the directories for the newsgroups?
UFGATE would not run until we manually created a complete directory structure
for newsgroup.  Another example was having to compile the nodelist to suit
UFGATE's format when TPBoard and FrontDoor use a different format.

> CR> It also doesn't work with some of the FidoNet mailers.

>Most of the mailers in common use work quite well with Ufgate.  Obviously one
>would avoid using a mailer that doesn't work with Ufgate.

That's one hell of an arrogant attitude.  The mailer was there first and
in this case it was FrontDoor which is well used.  Many people have complained
about making UFGATE work with FrontDoor (and others) and the documentation
was no help.  Just because someone wants to add functionality to their
system, they have to change their mailer?

On top of this the source code and documentation is almost 3 years old.
A lot has changed since then.  Trying to reach Late Night Software was
not fruitful.

> CR> And lately FidoNet has been some resistent to
> CR> becoming an integral part of the other network communities.  I find the
> CR> attitude disappointing and myopic.
>
>I haven't seen any resistance to gatewaying to the Usenet world. In fact all
>Fidonet nodes have Internet addresses.  Gateways have been in place for some
>time now.

I did not say "gatewaying to the USENET world".  What I was alluding to
was the policy statement that came down in the FidoNet Newsletter at the
end of last year which made FidoNet very inflexible when it comes to
internetworking.

> CR> We have been told to look at waffle, but waffle is a full blown BBS.
> CR> However, someone seems to say that waffle can be used as a gateway.

>Waffle does not include any gatewaying functions.

That was our understanding after reading the waffle documentation.  But
we don't know why people keep telling us to use it.

> CR> Generally, there are very few on FidoNet who know how to gateway to
> CR> usenet, so you have a lot of work to do on your own.

>Depends on what you mean by "very few".

Well, go back and look at Jim McDaniel's *many* pleas on the UFGATE echo
for help.  He did not receive one useful answer.  We have since abandoned
UFGATE, switched to UUPC/extended and wrote our own gatewaying software.
Please do not ask for the sources or executables because they are not
available at this time.

Conclusion:  unless one has a relatively specific configuration, a good
knowledge of USENET, and a lot of patience, UFGATE is not a good choice.

* Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
* (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
* (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
#include <disclaimer.h>

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (01/30/91)

UFgate is available on SIMTEL, UFG_103.ZIP, Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FIDO>.
You can also obtain it at my bbs, +1 205 830 2362.  I am currently using
it to gateway newsgroups and email.  As someone mentioned, most problems
arise from people not understanding the 'U' side of UFgate.  If you, the
original poster, would like more info or help send me email.  Someone
once helped me, so I'll pass along the favor.
--

andyw@aspen32.cray.com (Andy Warner) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.133052.1678@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
|> roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) writes:
|>
|> >Try looking around for a program called UFGATE (Usenet Fidonet GATEway)
|> >which I believe is available from Tim Pozar on Fidonet.  However, don't
|>
|> rfmail which runs under UNIX is a better solution than any of the DOS
|> products (that I have used).  rfmail is designed to take advantage of
|> the unix file system - while ufgate puts a massive load on the PC which
|> really brings the machine to a slow pace.

Is rfmail a commercial product ? If not is is available for anonymous FTP
from anywhere ? I would like to run this to talk to a fido compatible BBS.

Thanks in advance.
--
andyw.

andyw@aspen.cray.com	Andy Warner, Cray Research, Inc.	(612) 683-5835

In article <134220.23743@timbuk.cray.com>, andyw@aspen32.cray.com (Andy Warner) writes:
|> [deleted]
|> Is rfmail a commercial product ? If not is is available for anonymous FTP
|> from anywhere ? I would like to run this to talk to a fido compatible BBS.

No sooner have I posted this, than I brouse through alt.sources and find FIDOGATE
(seemingly a derivative of rfmail) posted by Martin Junius. I'll try that for now,
and apologies for the (unintentionally) wasted bandwidth.

--

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (02/01/91)

In <59485@aurs01.UUCP> roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) writes:

> > CR> It also doesn't work with some of the FidoNet mailers.

> >Most of the mailers in common use work quite well with Ufgate.  Obviously one
> >would avoid using a mailer that doesn't work with Ufgate.

> That's one hell of an arrogant attitude.  The mailer was there first and
> in this case it was FrontDoor which is well used.  Many people have complained
> about making UFGATE work with FrontDoor (and others) and the documentation
> was no help.  Just because someone wants to add functionality to their
> system, they have to change their mailer?

I used UFGATE successfully with FrontDoor for some months.  I've since
assisted at least 3 other sites running a similar mailer configuration
to run it. I don't know what specific problems you saw in setting up
UFGATE in a Frontdoor environment, but I sure didn't see any.

> Conclusion:  unless one has a relatively specific configuration, a good
> knowledge of USENET, and a lot of patience, UFGATE is not a good choice.

That's true in any case. :-)

	david
--
        Fidonet: 3:632/348   SIGnet: 28:4100/1  Imex: 90:833/387
              Data:  +61-3-885-7864   Voice: +61-3-826-6711
 Internet/ACSnet: david@csource.oz.au    Uucp: ..!uunet!munnari!csource!david

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (02/01/91)

In article <59485@aurs01.UUCP> roberson@aurxc2.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) writes:
>Conclusion:  unless one has a relatively specific configuration, a good
>knowledge of USENET, and a lot of patience, UFGATE is not a good choice.

UFgate worked fine for me.  I was able to get it up in one night with my
Opus CBCS board.  A good knowledge of Usenet is useful, but if one is
going to get involved with Usenet, he should be prepared.  I'll be glad
to help anyone with UFgate via email.  Mind you, I run no mailer other
than what is built in to Opus.

--
| ...!uunet!ingr!fordke    OR    fordke@ingr.com
| Micro Magic BBS     (Fidonet: 1:373/12,   MaBell: +1 205 830 2362)
| "and the Trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw." -Rush

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) (02/03/91)

My only question is this.  Why weren't you guys on the FIDONET ECHO when
Jim sent out plea after plea for help?  All he ever got is silence and
all he ever sees on that echo is more please for help.

Since I knew the USENET side of things I was trying to help Jim set up
UFGATE but I don't know very much about the internals of fidonet mailers
and message formats.  If we could have received just one response to our
requests for help, maybe our results would have matched yours.  However,
that was not the case.

To date, my impression of Fidonet echos is *much* lower than that of
USENET newsgroups.  If anyone wants to continue this, let's take it
off-line and not annoy the members of this newsgroup.

Thanks,

pozar@kumr.UUCP (Tim Pozar) (02/06/91)

In article <59485@aurs01.UUCP> roberson@aurxc2.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) writes:
>Trying to reach Late Night Software was not fruitful.

    I'm right here, and have published my number and try to answer all
questions even if you don't pay for support... :-)

                     Tim

--
  uunet!hoptoad!kumr!pozar Fido: 1:125/555 PaBell: (415) 788-3904
    USNail:  KKSF-FM / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108