[comp.mail.uucp] PSU loses uucp gateway?

MZ6@psuvm.psu.edu (02/10/91)

Below, I share with you information that I recently received in
      e-mail:

>         will NO LONGER GATEWAY MAIL for entities outside
>         of the College of Science of The Pennsylvania State
>         University.  Comments and questions should be addressed
>         to postmaster@cs.psu.edu.
>
> We have been actively trying to find another site that would gateway
> between bitnet and uucp.  To date one has not been located.

As a relatively frequent user of bitnet-to-uucp communications,
I was dismayed to learn that Penn State may be losing this
capability.

This posting contains questions for informed users, both at Penn State
and elsewhere:  In the event that PSU loses its local gateway to uucp,
can I access uucp through some remote gateway (e.g., PSU bitnet to
another remote bitnet, to a remote uucp gateway)?.  I lack much technical
understanding of this, but I really would appreciate any information
on how I can continue to communicate with uucp addresses from
Penn State's PSUVM.

If you have helpful information, and would be kind enough to respond,
please send replies via e-mail, as I do not often read this board.

      E-mail may be sent to:  MZ6@PSUVM.BITNET
                           or MZ6@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

Thanks in advance for any info,

Michael Marsiske

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (02/11/91)

In article <91040.142601MZ6@psuvm.psu.edu> <MZ6@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

MZ6> Below, I share with you information that I recently received in
MZ6>       e-mail:

>         will NO LONGER GATEWAY MAIL for entities outside
>         of the College of Science of The Pennsylvania State
>         University.  Comments and questions should be addressed
>         to postmaster@cs.psu.edu.
>
> We have been actively trying to find another site that would gateway
> between bitnet and uucp.  To date one has not been located.

MZ6> As a relatively frequent user of bitnet-to-uucp communications,
MZ6> I was dismayed to learn that Penn State may be losing this
MZ6> capability.

MZ6> This posting contains questions for informed users, both at Penn State
MZ6> and elsewhere:  In the event that PSU loses its local gateway to uucp,
MZ6> can I access uucp through some remote gateway (e.g., PSU bitnet to
MZ6> another remote bitnet, to a remote uucp gateway)?.  I lack much technical
MZ6> understanding of this, but I really would appreciate any information
MZ6> on how I can continue to communicate with uucp addresses from
MZ6> Penn State's PSUVM.

As far as I can determine there are no other 'official' UUCP <-> BITNET
gateways.  The Computer Science department has been trying to find a
replacement site for the last few months with no success.  We are currently
talking with a number of sites but to date none have committed to providing
the gateway.  We have notified the BITNIC that we plan on discontinuing the
gateway and to date have not recieved so much as an acknowledgement of our
message.

It is not clear to me how it fell upon PSUVAX1 to be designated the
'official' BITNET <-> UUCP gateway.  No one I have spoken to in the
department recalls every being asked if we wanted to do this for the entire
world.  The traffic through the gateway is now severely impacting PSUVAX1
and we unfortunately do not have the resources to continue providing this
service.
--
Dan Ehrlich - Sr. Systems Programmer - Penn State Computer Science
<ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (02/11/91)

In article <91041.210638DHH102@psuvm.psu.edu> <DHH102@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

DHH102> just use username@host.uucp
DHH102> psuvm should be smart enough to send it to the appropriate gateway
DHH102> so that it will get through.. This is the preferred method for
DHH102> addressing UUCP mail anyway..specific routing is usually frowned upon.
DHH102> (in many cases anyway)

The BITNET mail routing tables say to route all mail for *.UUCP to PSUVAX1.
This will not work after we disable the gateway on 1 March 1991.  We are
still trying to locate another site to function as a gateway.  Unfortunately
not site has stepped forward and volunteered.  We have asked the BITNIC for
assitance, but to date have not even recieved a reply to our mail.

--

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (02/12/91)

<DHH102@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

> just use username@host.uucp
> psuvm should be smart enough to send it to the appropriate gateway
> so that it will get through.. This is the preferred method for
> addressing UUCP mail anyway..specific routing is usually frowned upon.
> (in many cases anyway)

   Unfortunately, too many people assume that host.UUCP will be their
address and don't bother telling any of the UUCP gateways about
themselves (or the gateways are slow to update). This makes all the
happy mail bounce. Since the only address you have is host.UUCP, you now
must spend your time looking through the maps to find them, or (if
replying to news) pasting in the Path: line as the address.