[comp.mail.uucp] 3B2 mail broken?

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (02/06/91)

I have a strange situation with smail 2.5.  I've installed it on a 386
running SV R3.2.2 and on a 3B2 running SV R3.1.1 with the same defs.h
and comparable aliases and paths files.

The 386 will send mail that's not addressed to a local user nor to a
user on a listed site to the site indicated as "smart-host" in "paths,
but the 3B2 just fails.

Is there a replacement mail/rmail for the 3B2 that works as the one for
the 386?  (Maybe the question is, "Did AT&T fix this in 3.2?" and then
"How can I get a copy?"  :-)

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) (02/08/91)

From article <1991Feb6.021711.10141@mccc.edu>, by pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg):
> I have a strange situation with smail 2.5.
[..]
> The 386 will send mail that's not addressed to a local user nor to a
> user on a listed site to the site indicated as "smart-host" in "paths,
> but the 3B2 just fails.
> Is there a replacement mail/rmail for the 3B2 that works as the one for
> the 386?  (Maybe the question is, "Did AT&T fix this in 3.2?" and then
> "How can I get a copy?"  :-)

I am running an at&t 3b2 under 3.2.1. I suggest you replace the whole
mail system (or simply override it) as i did.
For local delivery get 'deliver', it's a smart package written by Chip
Salz. (who else?), works with smail 2.5 and smail 3.1.
As /bin/mail put svbinmail you found inside smail2.5 (keep it, basically
it's just the same /bin/mail found inside utilities of smail 3.1).
This understands local addresses, and calls 'deliver', or remote addresses
and calls smail.

I've been running smail2.5 for over 2 years, but i've just switched to
the 3.1 which also allows rcsmtp over uucp. On the 3b2 the 3.1 comes
up with NO problems.

In the 2.5 my smart-host was working fine. However I found another bug:
it seems that smail didn't understand the LAST paths line.
So, if "smart-host  host!host!host  5000"  (example) is the last
line of your paths, i guess it just doesn't find it.
Solution 1:  debug the code  (i didn't have time to do it)
Solution 2:  add a dummy line at the end of paths,like:
             zzzzzzz yourhost 0
Solution 3:  install smail 3.1

I'm used to replace the whole mail system since this way you don't
loose time trying to figure out how the 'native' one works.
Ncr 2.0, unisys, 3b2, even xenix 286!
Just plug your smail[2.5/3.1] + deliver and go!

Furthermore, my sendmail on the 3b2 (using the Woll.tcp/ip) is still there
and you can use ALL of the native features just using 'mailx', which
is working fine also under the new smail environment.

Greetings..and good luck!
Paolo
--
Paolo Ventafridda     -*-     INTERNET: venta@otello.sublink.org
TELEMATIX MILANO - Via C.Gomes 10, 20124 Milano -  +39-2-6706012

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb6.021711.10141@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I have a strange situation with smail 2.5.  I've installed it on a 386
>running SV R3.2.2 and on a 3B2 running SV R3.1.1 with the same defs.h
>and comparable aliases and paths files.
>
>The 386 will send mail that's not addressed to a local user nor to a
>user on a listed site to the site indicated as "smart-host" in "paths,
>but the 3B2 just fails.
>
>Is there a replacement mail/rmail for the 3B2 that works as the one for
>the 386?  (Maybe the question is, "Did AT&T fix this in 3.2?" and then
>"How can I get a copy?"  :-)

Did you use the "svbinmail" stuff in the smail2.5 distribution?

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

In article <1232@otello.sublink.org> venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) writes:

>I am running an at&t 3b2 under 3.2.1. I suggest you replace the whole
>mail system (or simply override it) as i did.
>For local delivery get 'deliver', it's a smart package written by Chip
>Salz. (who else?), works with smail 2.5 and smail 3.1.

Smail 3.1 is capable of doing its own local deliveries, including handling
pipes in .forward files.  Deliver shouldn't be necessary with it unless
you need to maintain compatibility with users deliver files.

>As /bin/mail put svbinmail you found inside smail2.5 (keep it, basically
>it's just the same /bin/mail found inside utilities of smail 3.1).
>This understands local addresses, and calls 'deliver', or remote addresses
>and calls smail.

Actually, the purpose of replacing /bin/mail is to decide whether you
are reading or sending mail based on the command line so you can
invoke the appropriate program.  The versions of svbinmail I've
found don't interpret all the possible arguments handled by current
sysV's /bin/mail, but it's a tiny program and easy to fix.

>I've been running smail2.5 for over 2 years, but i've just switched to
>the 3.1 which also allows rcsmtp over uucp. On the 3b2 the 3.1 comes
>up with NO problems.

>Furthermore, my sendmail on the 3b2 (using the Woll.tcp/ip) is still there
>and you can use ALL of the native features just using 'mailx', which
>is working fine also under the new smail environment.

Smail 3.1 should provide all the same functionality.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) (02/14/91)

In article <1232@otello.sublink.org> venta@otello.sublink.org (Paolo Ventafridda) writes:
<In the 2.5 my smart-host was working fine. However I found another bug:
<it seems that smail didn't understand the LAST paths line.
<So, if "smart-host  host!host!host  5000"  (example) is the last
<line of your paths, i guess it just doesn't find it.

Hmmmm...we are running 3.1 here on a 3B2/400, and this problem doesn't
occur on our system (I just checked to be sure). Smail finds the last line
just fine.

In any case, if 'smart-host' were the last line in your 'paths' file, then
one might ask "Howcum?", since it would appear this would place it out of
alphabetical sequence ....which *is* a problem.

Reiterating a prior posting on this subject:

It may be worthwhile to verify that 'paths' entries are sorted in absolute
alphabetic sequence and that tabs are correctly used. Our experience here
is that if the 'paths' file doesn't conform EXACTLY to what smail2.5 is
expecting, then it *will* fail. But the fault isn't in smail2.5 - rather
in the building of the 'paths' file that it must read.
--
____________
bud@mtek.com

paul@unhtel.unh.edu (Paul S. Sawyer) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb13.214920.23074@mtek.com> bbh@mtek.com (Bud Hovell @ Mtek) writes:
>In any case, if 'smart-host' were the last line in your 'paths' file, then
>one might ask "Howcum?", since it would appear this would place it out of
>alphabetical sequence ....which *is* a problem.

If you do not run pathalias, or only run it on a subset of the maps,
"smart-host" might be alphabetically last.  You can hand create the paths
file, defining only your immediate connections, leaving everything else up
to "smart-host".  I DO have the last-line-ignored bug, so my last host is
"~~~~~~~~" (hopfully not in use!   B-)
--
Paul S. Sawyer             {uunet,attmail}!unhtel!paul    paul@unhtel.unh.edu
UNH CIS - - Telecommunications and Network Services      VOX: +1 603 862 3262