[comp.mail.uucp] Telebit uucp/alarm problem

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (01/31/91)

In article <10061@marque.mu.edu> jtk@marque.mu.edu (Joe Klein) writes:
>I have installed a Telebit T2500 on /dev/tty00 of a Bell Technologies
>20MH 386 box running Intel System V R3.2. I am communicating with a
>Telebit Trailblazer+ attached to an AT&T 3B15 that has been used for
>a long time to provide reliable news feeds to multiple sites.
>
>When I try to transfer a file using uucp I get Alarm 1, Alarm 2 etc. until
>uucp errors out. This problem happens in both directions.
>What is the problem??? Any ideas???

Well, at 16 MHz on a cached 386, I know you can't reliably receive through
the standard terminal driver at 19.2 KB, so that's probably your problem.
Try 9600.  It will probably work.

Another thing to do is to buy NS16550A UARTs and get Uwe Doerning's FAS
driver.  Another possibility is to buy a smart card, but they are expensive
and many are unreliable, so choose carefully.

Check out the Frequently Asked Questions posting in comp.unix.sysv386.
<karl
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	     "Stop annoying Mister President with impertinent
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018     questions, Junior."  -- Death Race 2000

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (01/31/91)

In article <7667@sugar.hackercorp.com>, karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
> Well, at 16 MHz on a cached 386, I know you can't reliably receive through
> the standard terminal driver at 19.2 KB, so that's probably your problem.
> Try 9600.  It will probably work.

I know of many computers *in*capable of handling 19.2K incoming, but
still work well with Telebit UUCP at 19.2K. I am certain the reason
this person had trouble was that they had register 58 set to use XON/XOFF
flow control which definitely interferes with the UUCP g protocol.
You can certainly back off to 9600, but unless your throughput at
19.2K is less than 1000cps, I wouldn't bother.

As a point of reference, my Macintosh can only handle 19.2K for about
10 seconds (til there is disk I/O) and I still get 1330cps out of
the connection even with the retransmits.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) (02/07/91)

Recently, uucp alarms have been discussed and it sounds like the problem is
with data overloading, or that there's some annoying ^s/^q garbage going
on. Is my understanding correct?

I've got the same problem -- the machine which has stuff queued up croaks
with alarms. How can I tell who's got the XO{N|FF} problem? And how do you
know this stuff -- seems to be a great dearth of uucp info around!

Thanks in advance.
--
chris@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov, ...!uunet!asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov!chris, PITCH::CHRIS

chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) (02/13/91)

More specific info on my `alarm' problem, if I may beg your indulgence.

First, the scenario: I uucico to a remote modem pool, and have the chat
negotiate the phone system into my destination. I'm using a Telebit V32
with MNP5 at 9600 baud; it fails the same way at 2400 baud, but works fine
to an other machine, with PEP.

I did a
	uucico -r1 -x9

from machine thanatos to machine asylum. Here's the relevant part of the
output where thanatos alarmed. Note that they start talking, negotiating
for protocol, but fail on the send. When I *don't* have a file queued up on
thanatos, it hangs in the same place, but on "rmesg - 'H'" instead of
"rmesg - 'S'".

    imsg >^M^J^PShere=asylum^@Login Successful: System=asylum
    omsg "Sthanatos -Q0 -x9"
    imsg >^PROK^@msg-ROK
     Rmtname asylum, Role MASTER,  Ifn - 6, Loginuser - uucp
    rmesg - 'P' imsg >^PPgetxf^@got Pgetxf
    wmesg 'U'g
    omsg "Ug"
    send 77
    pkgetpack: Connodata=1
    rec h->cntl 73
    send 61
    state - [INIT code a] (1)
    pkgetpack: Connodata=2
    rec h->cntl 61
    send 57
    state - [INIT code a]&[INIT code b] (3)
    pkgetpack: Connodata=3
    rec h->cntl 53
    state - [O.K.] (10)
    Proto started g
    *** TOP ***  -  role=1, setline - X
    gtwvec: dir /usr/spool/uucp/asylum
    insert(C.asylumN1791)  insert C.asylumN1791 at 0
	    return - 8
    Wfile - /usr/spool/uucp/asylum/C.asylumN1791,Jobid = asylumN1791
    Request: thanatos!D.thana43a719b --> asylum!D.thana43a719b (daemon)
    setline - S
    wrktype - S
     wmesg 'S' D.thana43a719b D.thana43a719b daemon - D.thana43a719b 0666 daemon
    send 37777777610
    send 37777777620
    rmesg - 'S' alarm 1
    send 37777777610
    alarm 2
    send 37777777610
    alarm 10
    send 37777777610
    tries = 10
    got FAIL

If anyone can enlighten me as to what's causing this, I'd be forever
grateful. Is it my home box (thanatos), the home telebit, the destination
modem pool thing, or the uucico on the desination machine (asylum)?

Thanks in advance.
--
chris@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov, ...!uunet!asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov!chris, PITCH::CHRIS

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (02/14/91)

In article <CHRIS.91Feb13103441@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov>, chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) writes:
> I did a
> 	uucico -r1 -x9
>
> from machine thanatos to machine asylum. Here's the relevant part of the
> output where thanatos alarmed. Note that they start talking, negotiating
> for protocol, but fail on the send. When I *don't* have a file queued up on
> thanatos, it hangs in the same place, but on "rmesg - 'H'" instead of
> "rmesg - 'S'".
>     rmesg - 'S' alarm 1
>     send 37777777610
>     alarm 2
>     send 37777777610
>     alarm 10
>     send 37777777610
>     tries = 10
>     got FAIL

Looks to me like a serial line flow control problem.
As per the telebit manual you MUST be using hardware flow control .
I had the same problem when my HFC did not work.
Hope this helps.

emanuele@overlf.uucp

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.

wolfgang@wsrcc.com (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (03/04/91)

jtk@marque.mu.edu (Joe Klein) writes:
>I have installed a Telebit T2500 on /dev/tty00 of a Bell Technologies
>20MH 386 box running Intel System V R3.2.  When I try to transfer a
>file using uucp I get Alarm 1, Alarm 2 etc. until uucp errors out.
>What is the problem???

The 386 running (and I use the term loosely) Unix.

>Any ideas???

Lowest cost fix: Get a two port serial card that has 16550 UARTs on it
and run the "FAS" serial driver (available at an archive site near
you).

If you are handy with a soldering iron, or if your current serial card
has sockets, just rip the old uarts out, jump on them a few times for
good measure and pop in a set of 16550's.  The bare 16550 chips cost
anywhere from $5 to $20 each depending on where you get them.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    wolfgang@wsrcc.com (or) uunet!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524