[comp.mail.uucp] local site in a domain

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (02/16/91)

I have a domain.

A site in my domain wants to call itself "apple".

This is of course a name which already is in the published maps.

How do I disambiguate mail destined for apple.jpr.com as opposed to that for
apple.com?

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

mcn@mimas.UUCP (Michael C. Neuman) (02/17/91)

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

> I have a domain.
>
> A site in my domain wants to call itself "apple".
>
> This is of course a name which already is in the published maps.
>
> How do I disambiguate mail destined for apple.jpr.com as opposed to that for
> apple.com?

   I don't think you should have a problem. Since mail destined for
apple.com is being sent to a specific domain. Your domain is jpr.com. The
only problem would be if you have a link to apple, and it's uucp site
name was also apple. THEN you'd have a problem.

   Mail routing is pretty well based upon domains. For example, my mail
feed is bbx.basis.com... My systems address is mimas!xxx@bbx.basis.com...
If my feeder were so inclined, I could join his domain and become
mimas.basis.com... Or apple.basis.com...

  Since you have a registered domain, mail sent to jpr.com will go to the
system you registered under via the path you registered under. Your
system will have to handle the apple.jpr.com conversian to ...!apple.

<<<===========================--------==============================>>>
<<<  Mike Neuman                 ||     Senior Systems Programmer   >>>
<<<  mimas!mcn@bbx.basis.com     ||      Albuquerque Academy        >>>
<<<  mcn@beta.lanl.gov           ||      Computer Science Division  >>>
<<<===========================--------==============================>>>
  "It's hard to work in a group when you're omnipotent" - Q ST:TNG
 "Counsel will refrain from making opposing advocate disappear" - Data

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/18/91)

>> How do I disambiguate mail destined for apple.jpr.com as opposed to that for
>> apple.com?
>>
>   I don't think you should have a problem. Since mail destined for
>apple.com is being sent to a specific domain. Your domain is jpr.com. The
>only problem would be if you have a link to apple, and it's uucp site
>name was also apple. THEN you'd have a problem.

You don't have a problem until you try to send mail to a uucp site (eg,
apple) that has the same name as a host in your domain (eg, apple).
Some mailers subscribe to the not very well though out convention of
attempting to tack on the local domain (ie, apple!user becomes
apple.jpr.com!user).

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

In article <_L=-F2#@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> Some mailers subscribe to the not very well though out convention of
> attempting to tack on the local domain (ie, apple!user becomes
> apple.jpr.com!user).

OK, what's wrong with this convention?
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

anselmo-ed@CS.YALE.EDU (Ed Anselmo) (02/19/91)

In my ideal mail world:

``apple!user'' refers to UUCP site ``apple'', because the leading
unqualified hostname and the bang implies UUCP routing.  On the other
hand ``apple.dom.ain!user'' would be re-written as
``user@apple.dom.ain''.

``user@apple'' would be cannonicalized to ``user@apple.local.domain''
if such a host exists, and then (maybe) handed off to something that
tries some pseudo-domain(s) like .bitnet or .uucp if there's no host
``apple.local.domain''.
--
Ed Anselmo   anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu   {harvard,cmcl2}!yale!anselmo-ed

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/19/91)

>> Some mailers subscribe to the not very well though out convention of
>> attempting to tack on the local domain (ie, apple!user becomes
>> apple.jpr.com!user).
>
>OK, what's wrong with this convention?

When somebody sends mail to mysite!apple!user (intending this mail to
be delivered to apple.uucp) it ends up going to user@apple.mysite.com
(where it usually bounces).

Either get rid of the whole "default domain" thing on sites doing uucp
mail or do something like Ed suggested and keep track of the address
format and handle uucp differently.  The "let's just hope that a name in the
default domain doesn't match a uucp name" thing is not the way to do it.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) (02/20/91)

anselmo-ed@CS.YALE.EDU (Ed Anselmo) writes:
> In my ideal mail world:
>
> ``apple!user'' refers to UUCP site ``apple'', because the leading
> unqualified hostname and the bang implies UUCP routing.  On the other
> hand ``apple.dom.ain!user'' would be re-written as ``user@apple.dom.ain''.
>
> ``user@apple'' would be cannonicalized to ``user@apple.local.domain''
> if such a host exists, and then (maybe) handed off to something that
> tries some pseudo-domain(s) like .bitnet or .uucp if there's no host
> ``apple.local.domain''.

Hmmm, you'd have to be careful about this.  When mail gets gatewayed from
UUCP to SMTP, a ! address gets automatically changed into a @ address to
obey the protocols.  When mail gets gatewayed from SMTP to UUCP, the
transformation goes backwards, but it's still automatic.  You'd have to
complicate the transformation some:

SMTP->UUCP     user@site -> site.local.domain!user  rather than  site!user
UUCP->SMTP     site!user -> user@site.UUCP          rather than  user@site

This would certainly have some advantages.  The behavior where site!user
and user@site are treated identically (which seems to be what most mailers
have implemented) causes some problems when a UUCP site name is the same
as a machine name in the local domain.

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz@wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz

> >> Some mailers subscribe to the not very well though out convention of
> >> attempting to tack on the local domain (ie, apple!user becomes
> >> apple.jpr.com!user).

> >OK, what's wrong with this convention?

> When somebody sends mail to mysite!apple!user (intending this mail to
> be delivered to apple.uucp) it ends up going to user@apple.mysite.com
> (where it usually bounces).

Apple.uucp? Apple.uucp? Where is apple.uucp? I know of an apple.com... is
that what you're talking about?

If you're planning on letting another site reroute for you, the least you
can do is give it an unambiguous address, and "apple" or "apple.uucp"
isn't one. Either "apple.com" or "neighbor.dom.ain!apple" where you know
that neighbor.dom.ain is adjacent to apple.

How do you know that "apple.mysite.com" isn't actually connected to
"mysite.com" via a uucp link? In that case the only reasonable interpretation
of "apple!anything" is apple.mysite.com.

> The "let's just hope that a name in the
> default domain doesn't match a uucp name" thing is not the way to do it.

I agree. I'd put it differently... the "let's assume that an unqualified
ambiguous name is going to be routed correctly" thing is just asking for
trouble. If you want to get to a site in the UUCP zone, you have to use
a path.
--

In article <WB?--?&@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>When somebody sends mail to mysite!apple!user (intending this mail to
>be delivered to apple.uucp) it ends up going to user@apple.mysite.com
>(where it usually bounces).

 If you send 'apple!user' to 'apple.uucp' then you should send
'mysite!apple!user' there also.  Otherwise your software is badly broken.

 If some other site sends mail to you addressed to either 'apple!user' or
to 'mysite!apple!user', but you can't get it to the correct destination, then
the sending site is badly broken.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

scott@skypod.uucp (Scott Campbell) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb23.154024.29925@mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> If you send 'apple!user' to 'apple.uucp' then you should send
>'mysite!apple!user' there also.  Otherwise your software is badly broken.
>
> If some other site sends mail to you addressed to either 'apple!user' or
>to 'mysite!apple!user', but you can't get it to the correct destination, then
>the sending site is badly broken.

If you send to apple!user it should go to whoever is listed as apple.uucp

If you send to mysite!apple!user it should go to machine apple which talks
to mysite (it need not be registered with anyone other than mysite).

By explicitly putting mysite in front of apple you specify that mysite should
resolve what apple is.  This is how you get to unregistered sites.
--
Scott J.M. Campbell                                        scott@skypod.uucp
Skypod Communications Inc.                      ..!uunet!scocan!skypod!scott

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/26/91)

>> When somebody sends mail to mysite!apple!user (intending this mail to
>> be delivered to apple.uucp) it ends up going to user@apple.mysite.com
>> (where it usually bounces).
>
>Apple.uucp? Apple.uucp? Where is apple.uucp? I know of an apple.com... is
>that what you're talking about?

Try the uucp maps.

#N      apple
#S      DEC VAX-8650; 4.3 BSD UNIX
#O      Apple Computer, Inc.
#C      Erik E. Fair
#E      postmaster@apple.com
#T      +1 408 974 1779, +1 408 974 3525
#P      20525 Mariani Boulevard, M/S 32-E, Cupertino, CA  95014
#L      122 3 W / 37 22 N

It's just an example, replace it with uunet if you prefer.

>If you're planning on letting another site reroute for you, the least you
>can do is give it an unambiguous address, and "apple"

That's the problem.

> or "apple.uucp"
>isn't one.

Wrong.

>How do you know that "apple.mysite.com" isn't actually connected to
>"mysite.com" via a uucp link? In that case the only reasonable interpretation
>of "apple!anything" is apple.mysite.com.

Why do you think that it is reasonable to take a well defined address and
change it?

>> The "let's just hope that a name in the
>> default domain doesn't match a uucp name" thing is not the way to do it.
>
>I agree. I'd put it differently... the "let's assume that an unqualified
>ambiguous name is going to be routed correctly" thing is just asking for
>trouble. If you want to get to a site in the UUCP zone, you have to use
>a path.

But you can use a path and still have some sites tack on a local
domain (and then send it to the wrong place).

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (02/26/91)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
[background: discussion about tacking domain onto bang-path element]
> > When somebody sends mail to mysite!apple!user (intending this mail to
> > be delivered to apple.uucp) it ends up going to user@apple.mysite.com
> Apple.uucp? Apple.uucp? Where is apple.uucp? I know of an apple.com... is
> that what you're talking about?

The maps say that the machine named "apple" in the uucp zone is the same as
apple.com.  Why is this confusing?

> If you're planning on letting another site reroute for you, the least you
> can do is give it an unambiguous address, and "apple" or "apple.uucp"
> isn't one...

How can apple.uucp be ambiguous?  That means "machine apple in the uucp
zone" and there's only one of those, by definition.

>...Either "apple.com" or "neighbor.dom.ain!apple" where you know
> that neighbor.dom.ain is adjacent to apple.

apple may be a bad example here because it's also in a real domain.  What
about all the machines which ARE registered in the uucp maps but ARE NOT
in a true domain?  The sensible approach is either to use the pathalias-
derived data, or hand your mail to a machine which does.

> ...If you want to get to a site in the UUCP zone, you have to use
> a path.

It's one thing to insist on a complete path if you're using bang-style
source routing; it's another thing entirely to expect the user to create
that path.

apple!user is a uucp-style path (or fragment of a path).  It seems
at least reasonable to route as follows:
	- If you talk to "apple", hand them the mail.
	- If you don't talk to apple, look up apple in the paths file and
	  route accordingly.
	- If you don't have the paths on your machine, hand apple!user to
	  a machine that does, and let it route.

One way that people get into trouble is with the assumption that host!user
is the same as user@host.  user@host is a valid way to abbreviate
user@host.local.domain.  host!user, in a substantial part of the universe,
means "`user' on the registered uucp machine `host'".  If you DON'T use
that convention/mnemonic, how do you (the user) get routing via the maps?
You already objected to adding ".uucp" on the end of the hostname.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...But is it art?

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/26/91)

>What is "well defined" about the "apple" in "mysite!apple!user", when there
>is a private, unadvertised "apple.mysite.com"?  Given the remotely
>unknowable existence of apple.mysite.com, how can the address be well defined?

Let's take a case where mysite advertises (via the uucp maps) a uucp
connection to apple.uucp.   mysite!apple!user is then quite well defined
and yet some mailers will still send it to apple.mysite.com!user.

>If you are at mysite.com, and for sufficient reasons "apple.mysite.com"
>exists, and the link from "mysite" to "apple.mysite" is via UUCP, and you
>receive something for "mysite!apple!user", what should you do?

Does mysite show a link to apple.uucp in the uucp maps?  Do you want
users to be able to rely on pathalias routing to reach apple.uucp?

>unique.  It would be unreasonable to prohibit local nicnames, as in
>user@apple meaning user@apple.mysite.com.

I disagree.  I do that here and it doesn't cause any problems.

>It would be unreasonable to say that "apple!user" is not a legal way for
>users at "mysite" to address mail to others at apple.mysite.com, even if
>the link is known to be UUCP, and/or NFSNET fair use restrictions require
>it not go via the Internet.

If mysite has a uucp link to apple.uucp, then I disagree.  If not, then it's
a local decision.  I don't find it unreasonable to make users use
apple.mysite.com when that is what they mean.

>I think "mysite!apple!user" must mean "deliver to 'user' on the nearby
>machine named 'apple'."  If the source had meant to send it to apple.com,
>then they would have written mysite!apple.com!user or mysite!apple.uucp!user
>..!sgi!adobe!apple!user.

Certainly if some other site is routing mail to apple.uucp through you
(via one hop), they should know what you define "apple" as.  You had better
define it as "apple.uucp" if you show a link in the uucp maps.  Some mailers
don't.

But what about local users - do you want your users to somehow know
that apple is a special case?  Or should users always use ".uucp" when
they mean a site in the uucp maps?  I would find this obnoxious or
confusing (foobar!user works but apple!user doesn't because there happens to
be a site in the local domain with the name apple but not one named foobar?).

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.014736.6765@ico.isc.com>, rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> One way that people get into trouble is with the assumption that host!user
> is the same as user@host.  user@host is a valid way to abbreviate
> user@host.local.domain.  host!user, in a substantial part of the universe,
> means "`user' on the registered uucp machine `host'".

The universe so large in these later days that even a small fraction of the
universe is "substantial".  However, much of the universe does not use
smail, and much of the part that does use smail does not do agressive
rerouting.  In other words, in an another substantial part of the universe,
"user@host" and "host!user" are identical.  Many sendmail.cf's immediately
convert one to the other.

It's hard to have a rational idea of how "most" of the universe treats
host!user.  My unsupportable intuition is that at most sites "host!user"
means what others have said:
  (1) if "host" = "me", deliver to local "user" or bounce
  (2) if "host" is a locally know machine, whether on ether, FDDI,
	UUCP, or jungle drums, send it there.
  (3) if "host" is in my copy of the maps, and I think I'm a smart host,
		and it looks like a genuine UUCP path, send it there
	    (the last bit is significant)

Vernon Schryver,  vjs@sgi.com

In article <8YF-!-?@b-tech.uucp>, zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> ...[things that I mostly agree with]....
>
> >        It would be unreasonable to prohibit local nicnames, as in
> >user@apple meaning user@apple.mysite.com.
>
> I disagree.  I do that here and it doesn't cause any problems.

What!?  You are able to make people type "host.ann-arbor.mi.us"?  That
boggles my mind.  It seems most of the thousands of people at the thousands
of machines within sgi.com complain bitterly at having to type
"host.subdom" instead of "host".  They'd get out their pitchforks and
torches if told to type "host.subdom.ain.sgi.com"!

Could it be there are few machines in ann-arbor.mi.us, so that people
rarely have to type the extra stuff?  Here, everyone has at least one
private machine, and most of us spend much of every day fiddling with many
other machines, frequently many routers and domains distant.

> If mysite has a uucp link to apple.uucp, then I disagree.  If not, then it's
> a local decision.  I don't find it unreasonable to make users use
> apple.mysite.com when that is what they mean.

It seems strange to advertise a link to "apple" meaning apple.com without
having such a link.  It seems crazy to both advertise such a wierd link and
route mail elsewhere, so you and I must agree.

> But what about local users - do you want your users to somehow know
> that apple is a special case?  Or should users always use ".uucp" when
> they mean a site in the uucp maps?  I would find this obnoxious or
> confusing (foobar!user works but apple!user doesn't because there happens to
> be a site in the local domain with the name apple but not one named foobar?).

Here,
	sgi!foo... 	becomes foo... immediately
	foo!user	is immediately converted to user@foo
	foo.domain!user	is immediately converted to user@foo.domain
	foo!bar!user	is treated like foo!bar.uucp!user (see @bar.uucp below)
	foo!bar.uucp!user is treated as if it were an RFC822 source
				route through bar.uucp (see @bar.uucp below)
	user@bar	is routed to:
			     (1) bar.sgi.com if existent
			     (2) directly connected UUCP neighbor if existent
			else (3) bounced
	user@bar.uucp	is routed where the maps say bar exists, regardless
			    of whether there is also a local UUCP
			    neighbor foo or a foo.sgi.com.
	user@bar.uux	is routed to the directly connected UUCP neighbor
			    bar or bounced.  This is for UUCP neighbors
			    who can't pick unique good names.

Notice that we don't do UUCP map lookups on unqualified hostnames unless
there is a strong hint that UUCP is involved.  By going to FQDM's early and
well away from the UUCP & Internet gateways, people rarely notice & never
complain of the obnoxiousness you mention.  Moreover, people here have come
to rarely use simple UUCP hostname paths.  Instead, they use domains, as in
user@apple.com, even for UUCP links.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@sgi.com

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/27/91)

>of machines within sgi.com complain bitterly at having to type
>"host.subdom" instead of "host".  They'd get out their pitchforks and
>torches if told to type "host.subdom.ain.sgi.com"!

Yes, it's an inconvenience.  There are aliases for frequent
recipients and most mail is via "reply".  Otherwise, maybe a centralized
mail server (so all sgi users just type "user") is the way to go.

It makes it much less confusing - I hate questions like "why do I send to
bill with just bill, chris with chris@site, and  jan with jan@site.domain".
"Why does jan tell me that everyone else can reach her with "jan@site" and
yet I can't".

I also hate to constantly have to remember which machine I'm on, ie do I
need to use joe, joe@site, or joe@site.domain?  Depends on which window I'm
in.

>Here,
>	foo!user	is immediately converted to user@foo
>	user@bar	is routed to:
>			     (1) bar.sgi.com if existent
>			     (2) directly connected UUCP neighbor if existent
>			else (3) bounced

I assume that you also implement the policy that you won't have any
external uucp neighbors that have a uucp name the same as one of your local
names?  Otherwise, someone offsite sending mail (routed via the
uucp maps) might send to sgi!foo!user and not have it end up where
they expected.  That was the original point, and unless I missed
something, you could still suffer from this problem.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

In article <8YF-!-?@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> Let's take a case where mysite advertises (via the uucp maps) a uucp
> connection to apple.uucp.

Let's not.

Seriously, if they've got a direct external link through UUCP to apple
they should not have an internal site with the same name. If someone does
that, then got on their case.

> mysite!apple!user is then quite well defined
> and yet some mailers will still send it to apple.mysite.com!user.

Mailers where? At mysite? If mysite has a local system named "apple" that
is the system they *should* send it to. If you're outside mysite and you
expect it to route properly to apple!user, when they haven't advertised
such a link, then you deserve to lose.

> >If you are at mysite.com, and for sufficient reasons "apple.mysite.com"
> >exists, and the link from "mysite" to "apple.mysite" is via UUCP, and you
> >receive something for "mysite!apple!user", what should you do?

> Does mysite show a link to apple.uucp in the uucp maps?

No. And if it's an internal site it doesn't need to.

> Do you want
> users to be able to rely on pathalias routing to reach apple.uucp?

No, I want them to be able to rely on pathalias routing to reach apple.com.

> If mysite has a uucp link to apple.uucp, then I disagree.  If not, then it's
> a local decision.  I don't find it unreasonable to make users use
> apple.mysite.com when that is what they mean.

No, local users should be able to assume that ambiguities will be resolved
in favor of the local machine. That's the common case.

> But what about local users - do you want your users to somehow know
> that apple is a special case?  Or should users always use ".uucp" when
> they mean a site in the uucp maps?

No, I don't tell my users about the UUCP maps. I tell them to use fully
domainised names for sites outside Ferranti. Then if it breaks I fix it.
If they want to bang-route stuff themselves that's their responsibility.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (02/28/91)

In article <NNG-J*B@b-tech.uucp>, zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> Yes, [typing FQDM's] an inconvenience.  There are aliases for frequent
> recipients and most mail is via "reply".  Otherwise, maybe a centralized
> mail server (so all sgi users just type "user") is the way to go.

Or a common, global, distribute name space.  (Not to open the perennial
centralized/distributed "discussion")

> >[rules at at sgi.com include:]
> >	foo!user	is immediately converted to user@foo
> >	user@bar	is routed to:
> >			     (1) bar.sgi.com if existent
> >			     (2) directly connected UUCP neighbor if existent
> >			else (3) bounced
> I assume that you also implement the policy that you won't have any
> external uucp neighbors that have a uucp name the same as one of your local
> names?  Otherwise, someone offsite sending mail (routed via the
> uucp maps) might send to sgi!foo!user and not have it end up where
> they expected.  That was the original point, and unless I missed
> something, you could still suffer from this problem.

Yes: I think it would be silly, ridiculous, wrong, impolite, and a
    sign of Bad Breeding to advertise in the UUCP maps a route to one
    place and send mail somewhere else.

No: mail to sgi!<commonname>!user, where <commonname> is not in the sgi
    map entry and is in the sgi.com domain will go to the sgi host.

Also No: if one of our map neighbors decides to add an alias in their UUCP
    map entry that happens to be the same as an internal machine, then
    mail sent to that alias will lose.

Vernon Schryver,  vjs@sgi.com

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (03/02/91)

In article <88013@sgi.sgi.com> vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com
(Vernon Schryver) writes:
+---------------
| > >[rules at at sgi.com include:]
| > >	foo!user	is immediately converted to user@foo
| > >	user@bar	is routed to:
| > >			     (1) bar.sgi.com if existent
| > >			     (2) directly connected UUCP neighbor if existent
| > >			else (3) bounced
| > I assume that you also implement the policy that you won't have any
| > external uucp neighbors that have a uucp name the same as one of your local
| > names?  Otherwise, someone offsite sending mail (routed via the
| > uucp maps) might send to sgi!foo!user and not have it end up where
| > they expected...
|
| Yes: I think it would be silly, ridiculous, wrong, impolite, and a
|     sign of Bad Breeding to advertise in the UUCP maps a route to one
|     place and send mail somewhere else.
|
| No: mail to sgi!<commonname>!user, where <commonname> is not in the sgi
|     map entry and is in the sgi.com domain will go to the sgi host.
+---------------

Actually, it's a little better than Vernon implies. The machine "sgi" (a.k.a.
sgi.com, sgi.sgi.com, & sgi.uucp) is a firewall; it actually knows very little
about SGI machines other than specific internal mail relays. Thus while a
conflict *is* resolved the way Vernon says, the *chance* of a conflict is
minimized, since most local machines are not in fact directly visible to "sgi".

For example, my machine at home is named "redwood" (a.k.a. "redwood.uucp",
registered in the UUCP maps long before I came to work for SGI). There is also
an internal machine "redwood" (a.k.a. redwood.wpd.sgi.com). Anywhere on the
internal net, mail to "user@redwood" will go to the internal machine. On "sgi",
mail to "user@redwood" will go to my home machine (as it should, since "sgi"
advertises that in the UUCP maps), and mail to "user@redwood.wpd.sgi.com" will
go to the internal machine.

It works.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-1L/515		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

In article <J_F-9G-@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> Try the uucp maps.

I'm going to have to replace my supply of smileys. Yes, I know "apple"
is in the uucp maps. But the site name is "apple.com", and depending on
"apple" or any other name in the maps to be unique... except among other
systems in the uucp maps... is just asking for trouble.

Yes, using "something.uucp" to refer to the maps is common, but is it actually
officially supported? Who is the contact for the ".uucp" domain?

But "apple!something" is not a well-defined address. If I'm at foo.bar.com
and I have a uucp link to the sales office in Apple City, and their uucp
name is "apple", then what should I do with "apple!something"?

> But you can use a path and still have some sites tack on a local
> domain (and then send it to the wrong place).

Could you give an example of this behaviour?
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

In article <1991Feb26.014736.6765@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> >...Either "apple.com" or "neighbor.dom.ain!apple" where you know
> > that neighbor.dom.ain is adjacent to apple.

> apple may be a bad example here because it's also in a real domain.  What
> about all the machines which ARE registered in the uucp maps but ARE NOT
> in a true domain?  The sensible approach is either to use the pathalias-
> derived data, or hand your mail to a machine which does.

OK, now you're assuming that "mysite" does this. I'm just pointing out that
you can't assume that J. Random System out there in the net will be able
to accept a path starting with an unqualified host name and route it
appropriately. Now if someone at *mysite* is routing like this and gets
a bounce from apple.mysite, they can presumably get better routing info
from their system admins. But third parties can't assume that.

> One way that people get into trouble is with the assumption that host!user
> is the same as user@host.

This assumption is built into too much software to change.

> You already objected to adding ".uucp" on the end of the hostname.

user@apple.uucp is as good a way of doing it as anything. The basic problem
is that there really is no good way. How do folks out on the internet get
mail to uucp sites? Most of the ones I know just punt it to a site that
they know does pathalias. How about formalising this behaviour and making
uucp a real domain with all these known smart sites as MX?
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com